Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I bought my second Taurus 85 in a week's time. I got the white/green Protector Poly 85 last week and liked it so much that I started searching the local classifieds for a used Ultra-Lite version. I've been carrying two Diamondback DB9's, so I figured if I'm going to carry the 85, I should get another one, but wanted to try a different type.

So, I found one today (YAY!), which I bought for $350, which included a full box of FMJ (50 rounds), an almost-full box JHP (20 of 25 rounds), an IWB holster and an ankle holster, so I figured I did OK--plus no tax or no infamous background check! We just swapped permits and called it good.

Anyway, the guy told me it was a Titanium revolver, but it doesn't say that anywhere on it or the box. It just says "Taurus Ultralight" on the side. And it's the SS finish. I have seen some pictures of 85's that say "Titanium" on the side.

I had read that Taurus had stopped making revolvers of Titanium because of the expense and instead used something like an aluminum alloy or something.

So how do I tell if my new Ultra-Lite is made of Titanium or something else?

·
Registered
7,211 Posts
Photos please so we can help you.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK, sure. He ya go.

I've had a Judge Ultra-Lite for maybe 4 years now and I've always thought it was Titanium, too, but it doesn't say that on it, like I've seen some say. So now I'm not sure what either of them are made from.

Here's the page the serial number lookup on the Taurus site directed me to:

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=324&category=Revolver

Attachments

·
Registered
14,170 Posts
From the photos I have looked up the titanium pistols say Titanium under the cylinder on the frame. But then my 856 Taurus is magnesium but does not say that anywhere on the pistol. The only designation I have found on my 856 it that it is called a Hy-Lite model and is not rated for +P ammo. Sweet thing is that it only weighs 13.2 oz unloaded.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Your Ultra-Lite 85 is made of an alloy, but not Titanium. Only Taurus revolvers with "Titanium" stamped when yours says "Ultra-Lite" are considered part of the Total Titanium line.

Here is a link to a Total Titanium 85, which shows the Titanium markings: Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

That said, I like those 85 Ultra-Lights. With the Total Titaniums you have to be careful cleaning them or the cylinder coating can be damaged, which can lead to damage of the cylinder itself.

If you go to the Taurus site, just search for "Titanium" and you can find many of the firearms that used titanium in their construction...most are archived as they're no longer made.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
That's what I was suspecting, DJW. Thanks. The previous owner sold it to me as Titanium, but I was questioning his description, so I looked more into it. I had found photos of other Taurus Ultra-Lites with the word "Titanium" on them, so I was suspecting mine was not since this word was missing. Curiously, though, the Ultra-Lite Judge I have had for 4 or 5 years was also sold to me BY A DEALER as being Titanium. And now, looking at the markings and doing research on it, I don't believe it is titanium, either.

Ah well, I still like them both A LOT and the content doesn't detract away from that. They are still amazingly light and will do me just fine. It's good to know, tho. THANKS!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts