Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the complaints I've been reading, valid or invalid. Has brought me to ask the question; Is the Taurus Lifetime repair policy really worth the aggravation? Now I know that some have had good experiences and others have had the proverbial horror story. Having said that, I would like to add some more questions in addition to my initial one.

So, is it that we expect too much from Taurus as a company :guns:?

Are we not patient enough knowing that they are one of the hottest selling manufactures (even though most think their guns are crap :p)?

Did some get an extremely faulty weapon or is Taurus really bad at producing firearms and should get out of the business ;) ?

Do other manufactures really have a better ratio when producing firearms or are they hiding something ??? ?

Would it be impractical to just find a good gun smith and just forgo the LRP :'( ?

My thoughts are basically this. I feel that when you buy a firearm weather it be $200 or $3000. any company should stand behind their product, without fail. As for patience, I feel that some will wait an entire year for a custom ordered holster before waiting 2-4 months on a firearm repair. Especially one that is probably getting more guns back then it can handle. Suggestion to Taurus, hire more (and qualified) personnel. As for my gun smith question, I'll have to go with a yeah, why not. Sometimes I feel like voiding the Taurus LRP so I can change out the trigger and sear on my PT1911. Maybe do other neat things to it. Does this come at a price? yup. That of course is a choice that would be acceptable for me. I'd still use the LRP for my millennium pros and revolvers.

Anyway, I'll let you guys answer the other ones if you wish. I just figured that it would be good food for thought.

Mike PT1911
schlemer

·
Registered
625 Posts
I agree 100% and although I only have conjecture to back up my hypothesis, I am going to offer it anyway. I am not sure that Taurus has more defects than any other manufacturer, but I believe they do indeed have more returns. I believe that there are two primary reasons for this. First, since Taurus as a lifetime warranty, more people return their guns to Taurus rather than take them to a local gunsmith. Why pay a Smith $100 to do what Taurus will do for the cost of shipping? Even if a person has heard the bad stories, they are likely to still send it in in hope that they will get it back soon, and it'll be fixed correctly.

Also, many gunsmiths are reuctant to work on Taurus for anything that required replacement of parts. Taurus generally does not release many parts, and it's just simply easier to gunsmiths not to hassle with it.

So, although Taurus may or may not have more faulty firearms, they probably do have more returns. Yes, Taurus should invest in more qualified gunsmiths and CS agents, but the reality is that they are probably overwhlemed by the number of guns that get returned.

Just my guesses anyway...

Todd

·
Registered
0 Posts
I took the concealed carry NRA course all day yesterday with 11 others. Of the 12 that fired on the line there were 3 taurus pistols that spit out a spring and would not function. All new weapons. Today my friends new 9mm millenium pro died after 20 rounds fired. I would have bought a pt140 but will go with a 9mm. Smith and Wesson, at least I can clean it. The Taurus is not easily dismantled.

·
Registered
276 Posts
lawnfarmer said:
I took the concealed carry NRA course all day yesterday with 11 others. Of the 12 that fired on the line there were 3 taurus pistols that spit out a spring and would not function. All new weapons. Today my friends new 9mm millenium pro died after 20 rounds fired. I would have bought a pt140 but will go with a 9mm. Smith and Wesson, at least I can clean it. The Taurus is not easily dismantled.
Wow! You have had a busy week seeing brand spanking new Taurus pistols busting all over the place. What are the odds?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Yeah you should be playing the lotto. You seeing 4 pistols from any manufacturer having problems in one week has to be a record.

The OP question(s)
With auto loaders 95% of the problems are mag related. I see a lot posts where people are sending the whole pistol back so Taurus can replace the mags and ship it back. Doing that has to take time away from working on real problems.

I have no problem taking my firearms a part. If Taurus will send me the replacement parts I'll put them in myself. Kel-tec does that. First 200 rounds my KT P11 ejector broke. I called them up and they sent me a new one. Installed it myself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Lawnfarmer is obviously a troll. I have some issues understanding Taurus's service reputation. This is something that the company could fix and would probably double or triple their sales. Personally the lifetime warranty is a non issue. At the 24/7 Pro 40 price point if I can get 5000 rounds through it I'm happy. I would also like to be able to get parts and fix things myself.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Gunflint, how did you know I lived under the Mackinaw bridge? At the end of the day of training for the CCW there were 6 Taurus pistols in various stages of disrepair. Believe it or not I have no reason to snow someone from Minnesota. I think if Smith and Wesson had anything to do with quality control at Taurus Brazil as they did previously there would not be so much junk being produced. I wish you well, and keep buying stock in the co.. This obvious troll has bailed out.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
lawnfarmer said:
lawnfarmer said:
Gunflint, how did you know I lived under the Mackinaw bridge? At the end of the day of training for the CCW there were 6 Taurus pistols in various stages of disrepair. Believe it or not I have no reason to snow someone from Minnesota. I think if Smith and Wesson had anything to do with quality control at Taurus Brazil as they did previously there would not be so much junk being produced. I wish you well, and keep buying stock in the co.. This obvious troll has bailed out.
Its odd that I have probably fired, handled and been around more Taurus pistols then most anyone else short of a Taurus firearms employee. And in all my years I have yet to see a Taurus pistols break, broken or have any kind of function problem that wasn't a result of operator error. I do not personally know of anyone that has had a problem, yet I have heard and tolerated years of Bullsh*t from people that have never owned, shot or handled a Taurus pistol.

S&W never had anything to do with Taurus, they where briefly sister companies and shared very little between them. S&W gained and owes far more to Taurus then Taurus ever got from S&W. S&W never had anything to do with Taurus quality control, S&W has been struggling to stay afloat for years and has been bought and sold repeatedly over the years, unlike Taurus. I am not sure what you mean about dismantle being hard, for the semi-auto just pop out one latch and its in two sections... how hard is that?

·
Registered
51 Posts
The main reason I thought/think lawnfarmer is a troll is his number of posts comes up "0" on my screen. If I'm wrong I apologize. Can you get the name of the NRA instructor? If this can be verified from an independent source I would like to know.

·
Registered
0 Posts
You guys are right, I'm wrong, your sorry. I have no reason to bash Taurus guns. I was going to buy one. They really look good. They have an outstanding warrantee. One day at the range doesn't mean all Taurus guns are junk. And I have heard they fix them, time and again. You won't see me here again. terry

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The number of posts thing caught me at one time. No posts in the Complaint section count towards your total number of posts. This is an attempt to reduce the number of troll types here as they can post to their little black hearts content in here but their total count will never increase.

Steelheart

·
Registered
84 Posts
Its odd that I have probably fired, handled and been around more Taurus pistols then most anyone else short of a Taurus firearms employee. And in all my years I have yet to see a Taurus pistols break, broken or have any kind of function problem that wasn't a result of operator error. I do not personally know of anyone that has had a problem, yet I have heard and tolerated years of Bullsh*t from people that have never owned, shot or handled a Taurus pistol.
Are you serious? You have been around Taurus pistols more than anyone else and you have not seen one break unless it was operator error? If this is true then you need to buy a lotto ticket. Your statement is almost as ridiculous as lawnfarmer's. And it's not because it is Taurus we are talking about. I'd call bullshit on anyone saying they have been around any brand name gun more than anyone else and not seen it break, S&W, Kimber, Colt, Taurus, it doesn't matter.
I haven't been around as many as you ::) as I have only owned 5 Taurus pistols but I have seen one break and it was not due to operator error. I have also seen a Ruger P85 break and a S&W 642 break and a Remington 700 break. Man, I must be bad luck or I must shoot a lot more with a lot more people than most.

·
Registered
93 Posts
03Shadowbob said:
Are you serious? You have been around Taurus pistols more than anyone else and you have not seen one break unless it was operator error? If this is true then you need to buy a lotto ticket. Your statement is almost as ridiculous as lawnfarmer's. And it's not because it is Taurus we are talking about. I'd call bullshit on anyone saying they have been around any brand name gun more than anyone else and not seen it break, S&W, Kimber, Colt, Taurus, it doesn't matter.
I haven't been around as many as you  ::) as I have only owned 5 Taurus pistols but I have seen one break and it was not due to operator error. I have also seen a Ruger P85 break and a S&W 642 break and a Remington 700 break. Man, I must be bad luck or I must shoot a lot more with a lot more people than most.
Agreed. I can honestly say I've had broken Rugers, S&W's and Taurus'. Out of a dozen S&W's, I've had one poorly rifled barrel that S&W repaired at their expense. Out of four Rugers, one pistol had a trigger that wouldn't reset that Ruger attempted but failed to ever fix. I've owned four Taurus revolvers and three have been faulty- from a sticking trigger, to a barrel problem, to some timing issues, the odds with Taurus products have run pretty long. Taurus has fixed them all though...eventually and in their own time. Taurus is letting their customers do their quality control for them it would seem.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I was directing my remarks to Lawnfarmer's reply about 3 Taurus pistols all breaking at the same time, at the same place and all having the exact same breakdown (pretty hard to swallow). Which has got to be even better odds for the Lottery then me not having one of my firearms break or have a problem.

I never said Taurus pistols don't break or sometimes come with problems from the factory, I said I have yet to have one mine or personally know anyone that has had one. Obviously Taurus along with all firearms makers are not perfect and do have problems sometimes, and I seriously doubt Taurus has any more problems or returns then any other firearms maker. As for customer service... there is room for improvement and I don't think any of us will disagree.

Perhaps me being a gunsmith and always tinkering with my firearms has something todo with my good fortune, who knows I have always been very lucky. I have had firearms break and fail on me over the years, just not any of my Taurus pistols.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I agree with Draeger. I can understand a person having very good luck with a specific manufactuer and never seeing a break over several years (breaks not due to normal wear and tear), but to be at a gun course with 12 people, a quarter of them using brand new Taurus pistols (an oddity in itself), and all three pistols breaking?! Yeah, right!

Any way, I could count Draeger as being very lucky with a brand, but lawnfarmer was definitely full of horse apples!

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
When I was in the Navy, our maintenance was called P.M.S. (no, not that kind..lol)
"Preventive Maintenance System". Dreager, being a "smitty", probably maintains his weapons better than most people.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I do agree with you guys that don't quite believe lawnfarmer. 3 out of 12 is a tough nut to swallow. Anything can happen for sure but it is hard to believe.
I also take great care of my firearms, probably more anal than most do to my father's genetics of OCD.
I am not sure if all Taurus pistols have more malfunctions than other brands. I personally haven't had any problems with any of my Taurus pistols until this MilPro and I honestly think they pushed the envelope a bit (that is not a bad thing at all) with the recoil system. Thanks to Taurus many manufacturers are having to push the envelope and that is a trait what drives this great country.
I know some guys from reading my other posts on TFL will say I am a basher...I am not. As a matter of fact, I just got a good friend of mine into shooting and I advised him to consider the PT92 which he did and he bought.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
drummin_man627 said:
When I was in the Navy, our maintenance was called P.M.S. (no, not that kind..lol)
"Preventive Maintenance System". Dreager, being a "smitty", probably maintains his weapons better than most people.
I like to gather up my weapons, tools and cleaning supplies, put in several war movies like "PLATOON" for mood and inspiration, then zone out while doing maintenance ;)

Drives the wife nutz....

And I wouldn't call 03Shadowbob or powerkicker for that matter a basher simple because I know you both have been owners and shooters. To bad you were some of the unlucky ones that had some problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I currently have
PT22 1000 rounds
PT27/7 PRO (9MM) atleast 5000 rounds
PT27/7 PRO Compact (9MM) 300 rounds
PT1911 500 rounds
608SS 1000 rounds

The only malfunctions I have hade were:

PT24/7 PRO C had 4 missfires from one box of WWB 115 gr Target they were not light strikes and would not fire in my bro's PT99. The other 2 boxes of WWB ammo preformed fine.(probably ammo related)

Several misfires in my PT22. Bulk 550 Remington Golden Bullets (Ammo for sure as I shoot them out of several other weapons and always have a few duds)

My PT1911 had the real problem. I took it out to my bro's house and loaded it. I was sighting it in at the target and sqeezed the trigger with it on safe just to get the feel of it in my hand and bang. Good thing I kept with the safe handling rules. I looked at my brother and asked if he saw what just happend and he didn't see anything. So I put it back on safe and repeated the trigger sqeeze and bang again. It was rotating the safety to the fire position and then firing. When I took it to the range where I bought it he tried it and it did the same thing. Turns out the safety was fitted very bad, it was ground down way to much. I am very impatient so I ordered a Wilson Combat Safety and fitted it myself and now all is good.

I may still send the safety back to Taurus and ask for a replacement.

So 1 true issue out of 5 weapons; with my luck thats damn good.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts