Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever beaten solitaire AFTER the computer tells you your done?

Reactions: Ram Rod and kschilk

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
?....never seen that? I play a lot on my phone and on my laptop. I play the klondike version ( Aisleriot game collection- Linux Mint) on my puter and it only gives me so many tries- then it locks down, and i have to start a new game. On my cell, it never stops.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got to wondering that if it's impossible, why does it even give you the option.

And then there are the games that it does 'not' tell me it's over, and I spend 20 minutes trying to find the move, and it ain't there. ...... They must have programmed in a 'sense of humor'.

·
Registered
299 Posts
The version I play on my iPad often tells me I'm out of moves when there are actually plays that can be made if you're creative. I occasionally win with those extra moves.

·
Registered
18,498 Posts
The bad thing about solitaire is that anyone who happens to notice you're playing...:dry:...seems to think it's a team sport.

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
I've never had that happen on Solitaire, but I have one chess program that locks up tight when the computer discovers it's in a losing position.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why would you play solitaire when there is so much good content on TA.net to review?
True. ..... but my mind can only review so much info before it overloads for the day. ......... Solitaire is a FREE, relaxing, quick win or lose, one person game that helps keep your mind sharp ......... and you don't need an X-box.

I can't help think that there are a lot of 'closet solitaire players' anxious to come out , and this would help ...... plus, I really did want to ask the OP question.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The version I play on my iPad often tells me I'm out of moves when there are actually plays that can be made if you're creative. I occasionally win with those extra moves.
Yup, part of getting good is 'legal manipulation' of cards in order to pull off the win, but it appears that when it's over, my version says 'it's over'.

·
Super Moderator
35,554 Posts
I play on my phone and when it states "game over" I can back up moves to find where I screwed up. Like said above, sometimes I win after going so. My record is 1,110 and typically run in the 950 range.

Reactions: bigC

·
Registered
7,479 Posts
Ok what's the fastest win time you've ever had?

On a windows xp desktop, mine is 56 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
19,641 Posts
I was playing chess against a computer in 1971. My uncle was getting his masters in (then unnamed) Computer science and I spent a lot of time with him in the basement of the UGA science library with the (at that time) only computer in Athens, Ga. The same computer system I would be doing battle with 5 years later with FORTRAN punch cards.

I play with real cards - where a computer chip program does not "hold all the cards" yet to be played. Anyone who believes a computer program can really generate a fully random number without any input from the humans who wrote their program are the most susceptible to social engineering by present day social media interfaces.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Try it in Vegas, and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
40,412 Posts
Has anyone ever beaten solitaire AFTER the computer tells you your done?
Got to wondering that if it's impossible, why does it even give you the option.

And then there are the games that it does 'not' tell me it's over, and I spend 20 minutes trying to find the move, and it ain't there. ...... They must have programmed in a 'sense of humor'.
Think it depends on what version of Solitaire you are playing. Windows 10 version, when it tells you there are no more moves you can undo and back peddle to where you last had an option of two different moves and do the one you did not do the first time and possibly win.

As far as the it looks like there are no more moves but it does not end, you need to take cards off the finish piles and put them back to move another card off a stack to let you continue, or you have to constantly move cards back and forth to move cards to the finish pile to uncover another card. Sometimes it is just a matter of moving a card to where it belongs even thought it will not change the outcome of the came. Like you have a black 7 in a column by its self not covering a card and you have a red 8 that you can move it to. Until you do that the game won't end.

I tend to play a lot of solitaire when sitting in government offices waiting during my day job.

·
Registered
18,498 Posts
I can't play solitaire, I get impatient waitin' for the other guy to make his move.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Reactions: TrucksNCoffee
1 - 20 of 23 Posts