Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gen one Millennium..............is it possible to replace my gen one slide with a gen three slide? I know the gen three has a DA/SA trigger system and the gen one only has a DAO trigger system. I am thinking since about 80% of the trigger functionality seems like its in the slide then this would probably improve the trigger functionality. I do not know if the slide is the same fitment in both generations, but it seems like it would..........assuming same caliber.
Any thoughts??????

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I would say "NO"... I am fairly sure someone here accidentally did this and got the slide stuck on the other pistol. I would also advise against doing this, simply because I have studied the diagrams.

Simple do not do it...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DRAEGER said:
I would say "NO"... I would also advise against doing this, simply because I have studied the diagrams.
What are the differences in the two slides (gen one and three), based on the diagram?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
One is DAO and the other is DA/SA which means they are different trigger/firing assemblies.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DRAEGER said:
One is DAO and the other is DA/SA which means they are different trigger/firing assemblies.
DRAEGER, I think that is the basic statement that we started from...........no doubt they are different in one is DAO and the other DA/SA. I am dissapointed in you, friend :)
You said you studied the diagram.......can you POINT out the difference such as the striker is farther back on the SA/DA, this does not line up or that does not line up. Your answer sounds like..........it will not work, because it will not work - lol. We know they are different slide assemblies, but if everything lines up then it should work. I doubt that Taurus will change production lines to make many different variations. Its like cars...........each chassis is basically the same and each year may get a facelift with lights, etc. but the major components are still the same until the next chassis design. Like I said, we know one is DAO and one is SA/DA.......this is not telling us anything that we dont know.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
THEY DO NOT INTERCHANGE!!!!!

My wife had a black Gen 1 Mil Pro Pt111 that she wanted to change the slide on for a stainless one, I tried changing out hers with a friend of mines moms gen 3 PT111 that had the stainless slide, They are in fact different enough to not let the slide go all the way on. either way (new slide to old frame or old slide to new frame)

If you want to upgrade to a new gen and you dont want to buy a whole new gun you will just have to sell your older one and add the extra cash to get the new one. You might be able to get rid of your 1st gen on here if you post it in the for sale section.

What is your reason for wanting to change the slide anyway?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MPanova said:
What is your reason for wanting to change the slide anyway?
To get that SA/DA trigger instead of the DAO trigger. I would not change unless it was a simple procedure..............cost of a new slide plus what I have in currently would end up being more than selling current pistol and buying gen three. If I sell, I would probably get another glock or Kimber.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Ok, so you wanted an answer from a Gunsmith, not a fellow Taurus lover.... here goes ::)

Like auto manufacturers, Taurus used the same basic frame and slides but did different internals to make the DAO and DA/SA separate weapons. There is some extra tooling on the frame and maybe on the slide, aside from the different internals. And maybe other changes between generations too, that do not show in the manual.

I feel confident that I could convert one if I really need to, I hesitate to say "YEAH GO FOR IT!" because I do not want to be responsible for any problems you or anyone else could have. It will void your warranty...

I understand that you have a special situation of sorts to deal with, living where you do and why this could appear as an option. My advice to you is study the diagrams and determine on your own if it is a project you wish to attempt. You will need to obtain all the required parts from Taurus or make them yourself. Not knowing if we could get parts and the cost of the parts could make it very prohibitive too.

To help you out a bit... study the diagrams and make note of which parts are on the DAO and the SA versions. The manual uses a (a) for DAO and (b) for SA models and a few things are listed as (optional). In the parts list that tells you what name goes to each number, you will see the (a)&(b) used. If you can get these parts, there is a chance you could swap out your DAO to a DA/SA. (notice you may not need to buy a new slide... ;) )

Keep in mind that you are proceeding at your own risk...

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
One further note for those that have accidentally stuck their DAO slide on the SA frame or the other way around... and the slide gets stuck. Simple move the slide back as far as you can, flip the pistol over to expose the firing pin assembly under the frame and remove the firing pin. This will free your slide and allow you to slide it off without damage to your pistols.

Still best bet is don't do it ;)

Also, the 24/7 45cal frame of a DAO slides nicely onto a 25/7 9mm compact (even though it doesn't function).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts