Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took two new aquisitions down for a little test fire today. A PT-911 and a PT-917, both new, never fired pistols. Both pistols seemed to shoot straight, but low when the three dots were lined up. If I shot more towards the lower center of the front dot or just over the target both pistols were dead on. Kind of ticked me off, but on the way home I got to thinking maybe it was me, not the pistols. All of the other fixed site Taurus I have purchased have been dead accurate out of the box, but these two are the exception. Two in the same day....could it be I was having an off day? Once I made the adjustment both were DAA.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, the above post looks more as bitching of sites, however!!! I do want to add that both pistols were a pure pleasure to shoot. Other than being dead site accurate the feel of the pistols, the feel of firing, the no problem with F2F, F2E, F2F was sweet. I did shoot two different brands of ammo and each were not a high dollar cost kill your wallet brand. Every thing was perfect....pull the trigger and they fired as should be expected...no problems what so ever. Once again for the price paid for an all metal pistol (which is becoming a hard find anymore) Taurus delivered a sweet bang for the buck.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
If it was just one of the pistols I would say it was a problem with the sites. But with two of them I would say it was you, or the range you where on.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You won't know till to put the pistols on a rest and shoot them. If they shoot low after being shot from a rest, then you need to adjust the sights or call Taurus.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
The front post is high, just like on the 945. If you level the fronts against the backs, you're always gonna hit low. Play coverup with the front dot and you should be right on target.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The front post is high, just like on the 945. If you level the fronts against the backs, you're always gonna hit low. Play coverup with the front dot and you should be right on target.
This seems to be the case. I don't recall having to do this on my 945 or 940 pisols, however I do know that every pistol has its own personality...good or bad.

Maybe I need to pull out my fingernail polish and move the front dot...

·
Registered
34 Posts
This seems to be the case. I don't recall having to do this on my 945 or 940 pisols, however I do know that every pistol has its own personality...good or bad.

Maybe I need to pull out my fingernail polish and move the front dot...
Using a bench rest is a good idea but for some it may not be practical. You might try moving your target out to 15 yards. Both my Beretta 92FS and CZ75B shoot low at close range but right on at 12-15 yards or longer. I've simply learned to hold higher on the target at close range.

·
Registered
9,191 Posts
I think for a while in the 900 series, they were just grabbing the same front sight blank and putting the dots in after bench firing them. Sometimes you can run across a used one that someone filed the front down a tad just to make them level out. I would take a file to the range and shave a little off here and there before moving the dot personally. And if your sights get faded out like mine did, grab a white crayon and brighten them back up. No fading through 2 cleanings, using Hoppe's and CLP both times.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will give em another try, but is push comes to shove, I''ll use a little silver paint to fill in the forward site and paint a white dot just below the current front dot. This should be deal on accurate. This is the problem with owning too many different pistols, trying to keep up with what is high, what is low and what is dead on accurate. On the plus side, it only takes a few shots to get back on target.

·
Registered
14,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, A quick follow up to my sight issue. Seems it must have been my sight, not the Taurus sites. Took both pistols out yesterday and split a box of ammo between them.

The PT917 was dead on accurate, I could make a metal can dance along the creek bed right up to the point to where it got caught on a tree branch up about 7' high.

The PT911 was much better, but I can still use more one on one time with it. It has very large front and rear dots which I think are part of my problem along with the short site radius.

I do believe the Pt917 could easily become my all time favorite pistol, it has a very natural feel and is very well balanced in the hand. My suggestion would be, If you like your PT92/99 pistol, start looking to aquire a PT917. They are so very much alike, yet so different to fire.....I can't put it into words....heck I can't even tell you the differences, but it is different. In a good way.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
OK, A quick follow up to my sight issue. Seems it must have been my sight, not the Taurus sites. Took both pistols out yesterday and split a box of ammo between them.

The PT917 was dead on accurate, I could make a metal can dance along the creek bed right up to the point to where it got caught on a tree branch up about 7' high.

The PT911 was much better, but I can still use more one on one time with it. It has very large front and rear dots which I think are part of my problem along with the short site radius.

I do believe the Pt917 could easily become my all time favorite pistol, it has a very natural feel and is very well balanced in the hand. My suggestion would be, If you like your PT92/99 pistol, start looking to aquire a PT917. They are so very much alike, yet so different to fire.....I can't put it into words....heck I can't even tell you the differences, but it is different. In a good way.
Glad to hear your good news. I have the 92 and 917, and to me, the difference seems to be with the 'finger grooves' in the front strap of the 917. Aside from the shorter barrel, I really can't tell any other difference, but the 917 just 'feels better', IMHO. I have the Hogue wrap around grips on the 92, but that gives it just a little too much grip, compared to the 917. Either way, great guns!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just took my pt845 out yesterday for the first time and I am also shooting low. now it's been ten years since I last shot so it may very well be me, but I have heard reports of that same problem with other 800's owners. I will be taking classes soon to help me on my marksmanship but if it is my sites could anyone suggest other sites or the proper way to mod my current sites?

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I use group size and shape to determine if my sights need adjustment. If the groups are tight and roughly circular I adjust 'em. And I always use 25 yards as my sight in range - bullet trajectories being what they are. That way I'm pretty much on target all the way back to the muzzle - a little low at real close ranges, and a little high at mid range. If I've got one that's way off I'll sometimes set the windage at closer ranges, and then move the targets down to 25 for fine tuning. Then I double check my sights with tin cans at 25 yards. If I can take a proper sight picture at that range and make the little buggers jump, I'm through adjusting. My $.02

1 - 13 of 13 Posts