Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night the wife and I go out for dinner. Restaurant is not posted so I take my m85 snubby. Kinda lazy so I just drop it in my overcoat chest pocket. I guess if you look for it you can kind of see a print but its not obvious. I didn't take a pocket holster.

We find a seat, the only seat available, and I'm facing a table of 8 Cook County sheriff's officers. I was a little paranoid about printing, but I acted cool and ate my meal. They left 20 minutes later. Got me thinking, what happens if they make out that I'm carrying?

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
It depends on how your law is written. Here in Florida it is such that accidental exposure, like your coat blowing open or you reach up to a top shelf and your shirt rides up and exposes the gun, or even printing will not get you busted. However, the LEO may come over and check to see if you have a permit.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
What Dave said. We have a pretty carry-friendly set of statutes here- Thank goodness.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I've never been made, nor do I know anyone here in NYS that has, but they take it pretty seriously here. They tend to take "concealed" to mean "no exposure, no printing". They figure that if some one can tell you are carrying, then its not concealed. You could be charged with brandishing, but most cops (upstate) won't bust you for printing. They could (and might) inform your county judge, and he could yank your permit.

Reactions: chicagotrauma

·
Registered
419 Posts
As the saying goes been there done that !!!!
I think you are being a little paranoid. As you go around in your daily life see how many people carrying you could spot. I think you will be surprised.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I wonder the same thing, CT. I have yet to seen any criminal charges based upon someone printing or accidentally flashing. And while I don't want to be the test case, the Illinois statute seems to allow for wiggle room.

"Concealed firearm" means a loaded or unloaded handgun carried on or about a person completely or mostly concealed from view of the public or on or about a person within a vehicle.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
So long as you are following the letter of the law you should be ok in the long run.You may be inconvenienced just don't lose your cool.Being irrational while carrying is not a good recipe.

I felt the same way when I was a new to concealed carry.Now I don't think of it at all.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Here I think the statute states concealed from "average observer," or something to that effect (better go look at that). At one time "printing" or even accidentally showing could get you in trouble, but law recently changed. Don't overthink it or worry about it. Look up the laws...like I need to brush up on myself. Haha!

Reactions: Smokewagon

·
Registered
558 Posts
Last night the wife and I go out for dinner. Restaurant is not posted so I take my m85 snubby. Kinda lazy so I just drop it in my overcoat chest pocket. I guess if you look for it you can kind of see a print but its not obvious. I didn't take a pocket holster.

We find a seat, the only seat available, and I'm facing a table of 8 Cook County sheriff's officers. I was a little paranoid about printing, but I acted cool and ate my meal. They left 20 minutes later. Got me thinking, what happens if they make out that I'm carrying?
You got a permit in Illinois?

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Here in WV it doesn't matter as we're also an OC state. That said, I go out of my way to make sure I don't print.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Here in WV it doesn't matter as we're also an OC state. That said, I go out of my way to make sure I don't print.
Good practice for times when you go to States where exposure or printing is proscribed.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Can't help you. GA law is indifferent to open v. concealed carry. Both require a license, but it is the same license for both.

Reactions: john_bud

·
Registered
8,797 Posts
Yeah, Texas law was relaxed beginning in Jan 2014 - we've never had a "printing" or "brandishing" law but incidental exposure was frowned upon before. I don't wear Spandex shirts though and will not push it to any extent - I try my best to keep it concealed with only a couple of incidents of accidental exposure without a brush with the law.

One thing I will not do regardless of how carried - IWB - OWB - or pocket, is not use a proper holster. It also helps to break up the "gun" look when coat jacket or vest carry. I don't own a gun that I can pants pocket carry.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Same in MO. I can CC as loosely as I want and I do want cover regardless BUT I do not have to sweat it.

I've yet to have a sheeple cry MWAG!! If it happens I'll keep a cool head - the law (ideally) is on my side. If they make some crazy SWATTER claim they will have no proof as nothing will have happened.

I believe that an impression of what someone thinks is a gun is NOT a gun. It is bumps in your clothes. The only trouble I see coming of that is IF you are carrying in a prohibited area and security or LEO feels strongly about it.

Chicagotrauma - was the restaurant within the legal bounds for liquor sales vs food service?! Not sure of the new IL laws AND they do not have reciprocity with MO yet (ever?!). I get to travel there a bit easier but that's about it. Step out of the car and I'm screwed. My lock box is at my feet - tethered and Velcro-ed in place so i can lock up from where I sit and draw little to no attention. The car is a hatch SO there is no trunk and i could not walk to it if there was - technically! MAYBE in the parking lot of a gun club...

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
If a law enforcement officer glances your way, ask what the hell are you looking at?

He will be glad to clarify the law to you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
IMO, if you're carrying your piece concealed, and have a permit to do so, then it needs to stay concealed. Before I go into public, I do everything I can to make sure even I cannot see that i'm carrying. With that being said, unless it is very clear that you have a gun, a lot of stuff printing under a shirt or jacket may look like a gun... so who's to say it's not an iPhone and a snickers bar. Now if LEOs see you with your gun, in Florida, I believe you need to have carelessly displayed it to get busted. Accidents happen and I'm sure a cop or a judge would understand that.

·
22,299 Posts
This thread is a great example of why it's helpful to at least give your state in your profile. The answer to the question is very state dependent. Here in NM it's not a big deal, but until recently the Texans I knew had to be Extremely Careful about.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts