Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There ain't a box of bulk pack Federal .22LR on the planet. I've not tried mars or the moon, but there's none on the earth. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I bought 3 boxes of 325 rounds Federal Target Grade .22LR at Walmart last week.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Funny thing, when we had the last infamous "ammo drought", after the first election, just about every single pistol caliber, along with 5.5mms and 7x39's, dried up immediately. But I still remember being able to buy .22s. Not a lot of them, but even Academy always had some. They were doing the "3 per customer per day" business, but they still had them.

So I just dusted off my loading bench and turned to on the pistol stuff.

But today, while Academy and my local LGD still have pistol calibers, although not in large quantities, .22s are scarcer than water in South Texas.

Two oddball thoughts:

1) do you believe that ammo makers were praying for BO's re-election? They HAD to have seen this coming. Best thing that ever happened to them. ( "Dear Barry: Here's our check for $50K. Good luck and don't forget to say 'gun ban' as many times as you can. From your pals at Federal, Olin, WW, and CCI")

2) Ammo makers are NOT your friends. Any more than international arms dealers care about anyone's politics as long as they pay for the truckload of AK-47's. Federal (to use the OP's sample manufacturer) makes money no matter WHY you buy the ammo. If you buy it to take the kids out plinking, or you buy it because you think you may not find any more ------ they still cash the checks.

(But age has made me cynical.)

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
Funny thing, when we had the last infamous "ammo drought", after the first election, just about every single pistol caliber, along with 5.5mms and 7x39's, dried up immediately. But I still remember being able to buy .22s. Not a lot of them, but even Academy always had some. They were doing the "3 per customer per day" business, but they still had them.

So I just dusted off my loading bench and turned to on the pistol stuff.

But today, while Academy and my local LGD still have pistol calibers, although not in large quantities, .22s are scarcer than water in South Texas.

Two oddball thoughts:

1) do you believe that ammo makers were praying for BO's re-election? They HAD to have seen this coming. Best thing that ever happened to them. ( "Dear Barry: Here's our check for $50K. Good luck and don't forget to say 'gun ban' as many times as you can. From your pals at Federal, Olin, WW, and CCI")

2) Ammo makers are NOT your friends. Any more than international arms dealers care about anyone's politics as long as they pay for the truckload of AK-47's. Federal (to use the OP's sample manufacturer) makes money no matter WHY you buy the ammo. If you buy it to take the kids out plinking, or you buy it because you think you may not find any more ------ they still cash the checks.

I don't know, it would seem to have been more profitable to rig the run on ammo and have the inventory to satisfy it. They're losing sales.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Two oddball thoughts:

Well, at least Barry's managed to stimulate some part of the economy. Meanwhile, I'm sure that when the speculators, hoarders, and domsday preppers have run out of money and storage space, things will get back to normal.

·
Super Moderator
40,704 Posts
There ain't a box of bulk pack Federal .22LR on the planet. I've not tried mars or the moon, but there's none on the earth. :rolleyes:

I had this problem in September; I got so frustrated that I stopped at numerous Wal-Marts from Miami to Orlando and back. No bulk .22lr anywhere. I had been buying 2 boxes for every box I shoot so I have a good supply, now I am afraid to use it. I wish I would have seen it coming sooner.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have a buddy that wotks at the Fedral plant in Minnesota. he told me this weekend that the plant is running 24/7 and have all machines running at 120% of what the machines are designed to produce.

·
Banned
9,233 Posts
When your production operations are running at full capacity, and demand continues to exceed supply, shortages are inevitable. There just aren't a bunch of ammo production machines sitting around idle in some warehouse. These are high precision machines and they take time to produce.
BTW - I work as a manufacture representative although not in the firearms or ammo industry.

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, handloading rimfire is out. There are a couple of small hardware stores in a local town that have Remington in 100 packs for about 8 bucks. I guess I could resort to that, though I never liked Remington rimfire. but, I'm desperate.

Meanwhile, fortunately, I have plenty of primers and lead and powder and I also have cap and ball to shoot. :D

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
I've got a box of Federal 22 LR - 550 count brick - I'll sell it to you for that same price.....$550. :D

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sounds like a good time to get into the ammo manufacturing business. Also, I believe that Federal makes all their own components here in the US.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I bought two bricks last week but it was Remington. :p I also picked up 200 rounds of 5.56 this morning but my sources are under the cone of silence. ;)

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
I've got a box of Federal 22 LR - 550 count brick - I'll sell it to you for that same price.....$550. :D
Put it online and you would probably would get it. A&E new reality show......AMMO WARS!:p

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I can shoot 10 gauge steel T shot for that.

·
Registered
34,139 Posts
There's about 5,000 of them in my gun safe! :D

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
There's about 5,000 of them in my gun safe! :D
Sounds like you need to pay your ammo tax and redistribute them to the needy BigSkiff.

Reactions: NativeTexan

·
Super Moderator
35,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Skiff's a HOARDER! OMG, call the feds!

or....not.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts