Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a small business owned entirely by my boss with no other businesses connected.
The far end of the single lot is for employees. While close to the building is for customers.
I won't have time to get CCW permit until late spring.
Will carrying my pistol between my car(trunk) and the building be legal 'if visually exposed'?

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
It really depends on your State, where are you from?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The parking lot is private property unless you have a local law that complicates that. Key would be having the land owner's permission to have a gun on the property. *NOT A LAWYER*

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ohio
(This website requires at least 5 characters to post reply. So this line is just filler.)

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not planning on displaying but there may be an occasion where from the trunk to the pocket . . .

I wasn't planning on checking with the boss because I doubt he cares one way or the other. I am normally the first in the door a full hour before any one else. Certainly before any customers. But there is a bus stop in front of the parking lot. Many times with school kids.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You could be in some sketchy territory without a CCW on private property without explicit permission to carry there. What if an individual reports a MWG and LEOs show up. What if suddenly the boss is NOT looking on this in a good light.

Police to boss "Did you give this man permission to carry a gun on your property?"
Boss "Well - no"

You could be charged with firearms violations that would prevent you from getting a CCW.

Do you have a company employee manual? If so what does that say about guns / weapons - most come from templates and will cover the topic. If it says no guns then I'd want written permission that I had a granted exception to that rule.

Many states allow a gun in the car despite business policies or posts as the car is your property. Here castle doctrine works in the car the same as in the home.

After checking I might leave the gun in the car AT LEAST until I had a CCW - hate to say it but the down side could be very down.

·
Registered
14,084 Posts
Private property and worries of exposure by accident...keep it in a fanny pac and don't worry about it. Sometime that greatest impact of a law, tends to be fear from the honest person who worries about breaking it.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
lonrjen makes a good point - you do not HAVE to risk exposure. You mentioned dropping it in your trunk. If you drop the closed fannypack the chance for exposure is gone. In MO one does not need a CCW to carry in the car. Check Ohio law - you may be able to (and if so I would want to) ride with your gun in the front seat. My advise - do your research. Have a full understanding of the situation in case an unantiicipated situation does come up.

·
Registered
479 Posts
MHO I agree with what has been said allready. I would ask my boss just incase. Also I would use a fanny pack. Here in Arkansas a parking lot is private property. If its ok with your boss to carry a firearm into work then there will be alot less confusion if there were an accident and someone saw your firearm.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
In Ohio I can't have it in the passenger area.

I like the fanny pouch. I got a spare camera bag.

One of my reasons for this now is because last Friday someone attempted to break into my house. Until my security camera system arrives my pistols will have to ride with me.

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Are you taking it in to your job for protection, or just as a precaution against having your firearm stolen?

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
The best thing to do is consult your local LEO office and get a copy of your states gun laws. I would be very leary of moving the gun from car to business as that could be carrying and without your CCW your playing on thin ice.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Stay safe and on the right side of the law.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would check the local laws to make sure that I wasn't doing anything illegal accidentally. I would rather be safe than sorry, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I think I'd just secure it and lock it up in the car, until I had the permit to carry it. That is if you're scared to leave it at home...

·
Registered
27,624 Posts
One more vote for checking your local laws. I have read that Ohio is not an open carry state. You can check the laws online at ohio.gov.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Sounds like a hidden gun safe properly secured and an alarm system are in order going forward. Everything in my home is locked up. You cannot put ammo and gun together without keys or touchpad combos. Rigging cheap strobes and sirines (with NO network) will make any BG leave faster than planned. LOL - keep yourself on the good guy side!

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Today I placed 2 pistols into my spare camera bag. Tossed said into the trunk. The rife made it's way into a semi constructed corner of the basement, hidden. Once at work I removed and placed the bag under my work bench.
That's legal in Ohio. I'm still trying to decide how I want to secure them at home, beyond the trigger locks. A gun safe would clash with the decor upstairs and I don't want to have to run down stairs a couple of times a day.

I wish they made a lockable sliding drawer I could bolt under the bed.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You can get a hard shell rifle case which slides under the bed (2 scoped rifle case is like $30 at Dicks). You can lock that and then have a cable around the bed frame to prevent easy theft of the whole case. I did that until I got a proper safe in the basement. Cost less than $50.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts