Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 240gr Magnum JSP too much for a .44 4" tracker on a regular basis? Also How about a 246 gr .44 S&W SPL?? I have been reading some conflicting stories. What do you .44 tracker shooters like for range shooting. I'd appreciate your input even though i suppose this topic has been beat to death.
Thanks Mike

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
240gr jsp is the main load I use for all my .44 magnums, no matter what brand. I find that they do the job for just about anything. I don't have a tracker but from what the other guys say about their's I think they would be alright to use. I can tell you that they work good in my M44 though. There was a discussion awhile back about 300 gr in a tracker and the consensus was that they would be a bit too much for the small frame. If you roll your own I believe you can make a light enough load that would not destroy your hand or the gun.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Mike :thumb:

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
I just checked the PDF manual. Taurus says to not exceed these loads.
.44 Special: 200 gr @ 900fps.
.44 magnum: 240 gr @ 1350 fps.
When I guestimate loads, I use the "powerfactor" method. This is so that I don't exceed the impulse levels that the gun is designed for. A lighter bullet can go faster than a heavier one without doing damage.
Power factor is what is used in competitive shooting to ensure that the loads are apropriate for defensive use. P.F. = M x V / 1000. So (240 x 1350) / 1000 = 324. This is just a guide line.
If you want to find the actual Muzzle Energy, it's more complicated. M.E = M x V x V /450400. Or (240 x 1350 x 1350) / 450400 = 971.xxxxxxx ft lbs.
Easy, right?
O.K. class over. There's a quiz in the morning. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts