Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What firearms related mistakes in tv and/or films do you find irritating? These can be general mistakes that are apparent in most films and tv programs, or specific examples if you have ones to cite.

I'll start with a few:

* Double barrel shotguns that fire three or more shots without reloading.

* Sparks that fly off cars when struck by gunfire, instead of having gaping bullet holes.

* People that are shot in films that are lifted off their feet and thrown a great distance. Last Man Standing with Bruce Willis immediately comes to mind as well as Out of the Dark.

* In Dreamcatcher, Morgan Freeman plays the mentally unstable military leader Abraham Curtis. When he comandeers a helicopter towards the end of the film and is questioned by [I believe it was an MPO], Curtis fires his pistol once at the man, removing him as an obstacle, and his slide locks back. He hadn't been shooting prior to this [aside from earlier in the film when he shoots another solider's finger off] so one would think he'd have had a full magazine or two.
I suppose this may not be valid since he could have been so mentally deranged that he decided to only go with one round in the pistol -- but then again, it could have just been a hollyweird mistake.

;D

Anyhow, please post your gun related movie gripes or observations.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
* In Dreamcatcher, Morgan Freeman plays the mentally unstable military leader Abraham Curtis. When he comandeers a helicopter towards the end of the film and is questioned by [I believe it was an MPO], Curtis fires his pistol once at the man, removing him as an obstacle, and his slide locks back.
I've noticed that as well in movies. I think it has to do with the number of takes to get it right. The actor starts with a full mag and they keep doing it til the director likes it. Another possibility is that the prop/safety guy only issus enough ammo for what the shot calls for.

Anyone have another option?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was just talking about theis yesterday. We were watching the last of Mohikans (sp) anyways, the whole movie was bad. The guy sniped with open sights was shot from a good 150 yds, and flew backwards, tristans wife was hit in the shoulder and died instantly. I notice them all. Kinda unrelated, but have you seen the I think it is bud light or keystone light commercial where the guy gets the case of beer and hits the girl in the nose with the door? Have you noticed that the case of beer is empty. You can tell by the way he picks it up, and sets it on the counter. I dont see why they used an empty case.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
What gets me is when the good guy hides behind and wall and peeks out and 6-7 rounds hit the wall right at it edge and he safely ducks back in for cover, the bad guys are always good enough shots to hit every single round with in one inch of our hero but cant ever hit the hero when he is in plain sight

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
How about these: A guy has a wheelgun, S&W or whatever kind of revolver,
he has the cylinder open to check the ammo, then with a flick of the wrist,
he snaps the cylinder shut. One of the worst things a person can do with a
revolver is to close it that way.

Another: A pump action shotgun, the guy uses the whole shotgun to chamber
a round with one hand. That's another no-no. Only as a last resort would a
shooter use the whole shotgun to chamber a round, is if his other arm is somehow
disabled, & his life is on the line.

A sensible person would never treat firearms that way. Only in the movies,
it's supposed to look cool. But, in reality, it's downright stupid!

·
Registered
66 Posts
How about the obvious - 40-50 rounds fired without ever reloading ;D I've had movies where I can actually count the rounds, and then go "hmmm...I'd like a Beretta/Glock/1911 (as the case may be) that can shoot 43 rounds from one standard magazine."

I was also watching Robocop last night, and saw Peter Weller's character have to actually charge both his and his partner's weapons while moving in a car, getting ready for a moving gun fight (just before he gets shot). I couldn't decide if this was poor filmmaking, or actual Detroit Police Department procedure - running around with a handgun with an empty chamber.

Then there's Lara Croft (Angelina Jolie) who is wielding dual Desert Eagle Magnums. Ummm...yeah, that works well :)

Ahhh - if only :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
In the movie Saving Private Ryan, Captain Miller (Tom Hanks) also has a slide stop after a round or two, but through the magic of Holly-Weird, keeps on firing at the tank coming at him on the bridge. :shooter:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I love it when the person with the gun is pointing right in someones face and trying to get them to do something and as they get more and more serious about shooting them they grab the slide and chamber a round. How where they going to shoot them in the first place if it wasnt chambered :bang:

another one

room full of bad guys all with guns, the good guy makes a sudden move and your hear hammers cocking all over the place from a room full of guys with Glocks ;D

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just watched the Chuck Pilot and the NSA guy checked his pistol by pulling the slide back bit. What he failed to notice was that there wasn't a mag in the gun! :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
MPanova said:
I love it when the person with the gun is pointing right in someones face and trying to get them to do something and as they get more and more serious about shooting them they grab the slide and chamber a round. How where they going to shoot them in the first place if it wasnt chambered :bang:

another one

room full of bad guys all with guns, the good guy makes a sudden move and your hear hammers cocking all over the place from a room full of guys with Glocks ;D
I was gonna post that one too. It comes from the revolver era when cocking the hammer would make it a light trigger and thus closer to shooting. It's funny how Hollywood does that with semi-autos.

·
Administrator
17,592 Posts
1SourceWeb said:
Then there's Lara Croft (Angelina Jolie) who is wielding dual Desert Eagle Magnums. Ummm...yeah, that works well :) Ahhh - if only :D
Actually, she's packing 9mm H&K USP Competition models with the bulky compensators on them which sort of makes them look like Desert Eagles. Her living in the UK/Britain with Hi-Cap handguns is the hard part to believe. Also, the bad guys in her movies seem to be predominately armed with H&K G36's of one variant or another. Her Tomb Raider Movies tend to be H&K commercials.

However, I've seen quite a few other shows where someone is shooting those Desert Eagles as if they were .22's. Almost no recoil shown! Also, no shell ejection or cycling! Seen that plenty of other places, too!

My movie pics are where either cops or soldiers are following eachother with their Guns pointed in the back of whoever is in front of them. Also, shooting without aiming at long range is annoying, especially when they actually hit something!

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've noticed that too jwc007, in regards to firearms being shot with absolutely zero recoil. I saw a film recently where one of the characters was shooting a big bore magnum in an action sequence. When he pulled the trigger -- you guessed it -- a lot of smoke but the revolver didn't move a bit. At the very least it'd be appreciated if they could simulate recoil and lift up a little bit after firing; it'd contribute to the 'realism' factor. :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
My favorties are the old westerns where they do an over the shoulder shot of the person firing the gun so it looks "first person" (as if you are the shooter) and you can see that the person being "shot" is in no way in the line of fire... no recoil, puff of smoke out of the barrel... vicitim raises arms into a swan dive position and shuffle steps off of the building! You can see that if you watch the old "3:10 to Yuma". LOL!

·
Registered
95 Posts
How about when the hero seems to always find the armored plated table (or whatever is convenient) to use for cover. You know, the bad guys are shooting at him with fully automatic weapons, so he turns the table over, they shoot the heck out of the poor table, but he just stands back and fires without a scratch. A Bruce Willis movie comes to mind. Can't remember the name.

·
Registered
498 Posts
In the original Indiana Jones flick, Raiders of the Lost Ark, during the bar room shootout, Indie is shooting either a 1911, or his trusty revolver, depending on camera angle.

:guns:​

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i think it was die hard 3 iirc where bruce comments on a glock 7 i think it i was.. a ceramic gun.. it does'nt show up in metal detectors.. which dont exist and even if they did the bullets would still be detected.

lethal weapon 4 i think it was jet-li field strips a beretta with one hand, actually with a ton of practice this MIGHT be possible.. i stress might but highly doubtful.

phantasm they make a 4 barrel shotgun out of 2 double barrel shotguns, oddly they're able to fire all 4 at a time and not fall on their ass.

·
Registered
539 Posts
A simple mistake that I see in A LOT of movies is where (for extremely dramatic effect) the bad guy constantly pulls the slide back to load a round.... I'm like, dude you were cocked and loaded like 16 pulls ago!!! :D

1 - 20 of 67 Posts