Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local gun & knife show this morning, it rolls around about every six weeks or so. So, as I'm strolling by the tables, a thought occurs to me; they make you check your firearm at the door, making sure it's unloaded and they cable tie it, but there's some serious blades just laying on the tables.
Stay with me here.
Where can you go and have thousands of people in a confined area, mind their manners? I'm thinkin' if the place was filled with thousands of liberals for some odd reason, I don't think the knives or the people would be safe. What do you think?

btw, I came home with a gently used P3AT (was a cops BUG) for $150.00 otd, Took it home and cleaned her up, went to the range and fired 50 rounds of ball and about 20 rounds of some good for nothing Remington H.P.'s, the thing ran like a Singer sewing machine.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I've always found it ironic that they exist to support our 2A rights whike at the same time restricting our rights to practice them. They dont allow CCW either. Seems like those that are legally responsible arent trustworthy.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Yeah I don't get that either. Everybody who already carries can carry their gun in a shopping mall full of people but not a gun show? Makes absolutely no sense to me. Maybe someone here brighter than me can help. BTW, I bought a Remington at the last show and almost bought an 1100 in 12 ga today.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Yes it does seem silly.
Here I walk in carrying. No law says I can't. I have a feeling a lot of people do it that way here in Fl.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
No loaded mags, cable tie the gun. It is just to make people feel good. Really how hard would it be to buy a box of ammo and go in the bathroom and load your gun and cut off the tie strap. I usually ask for a few extra tie straps at the door because I want to try holsters out without the strap in the way. Oh well I still play along since I usually have a good time at the shows.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Yes it does seem silly.
Here I walk in carrying. No law says I can't. I have a feeling a lot of people do it that way here in Fl.
Darbo, I noticed when I went to the show in Orlando they just asked if you were carrying. The shows in Miami you have to pass a medal detector so you have no choice but to comply or not go in.

Reactions: rpcortina

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I can honestly say over 50 percent of the vendors are carring ccw about 20 years back we were at a gun show and 3 theives were out side robbing one of the vendors who was elderly and disabled at gun point.Some one went out the back saw it and hollered back inside. so and so was being robbreed several vendors flew out the door with pistols. There was about 30 shot s fired.Aafter 1st theif was hit and was bleeding from a shoulder wound they surrendered. since then mostr of the vendors ccw.

jhp

·
Registered
14,822 Posts
It is actually a valid representation of the mentality of the gun banners and the efficacy of their feel good laws.

Gun banners love every feel good gun law that comes along. I mean, if it saves just one child and all.

They think that laws can stop evil people and stop shootings from happening in the first place. They are delusional.

At the gun shows, the zip tie, while useless and doing nothing to prevent someone from taking it off and loading up, represents those gun laws and allows the organizers of the event to tell their insurance carrier, the owner of the venue, and the local governments that, while there will be some guns present, they will be unloaded and made inoperable by a strap!

We wouldn't want loaded guns out there now would we? :rolleyes:

Reactions: bangshot and darbo

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Darbo, I noticed when I went to the show in Orlando they just asked if you were carrying. The shows in Miami you have to pass a medal detector so you have no choice but to comply or not go in.
FKL, I would imagine the Melbourne show is kind of small compared to Orlando and Miami. At our entrance the zip tie guys are at a table on one side of the entrance hall, the money taker/ticket people are on the other side of the hall. I just walk over to the ticket window, buy my ticket and head in. All the time the guys at the zip tie table are yelling if anyone has a gun it needs to be disabled. The only guns I see get zipped tied are the guns people are bringing in to sell.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
It is actually a valid representation of the mentality of the gun banners and the efficacy of their feel good laws.

Gun banners love every feel good gun law that comes along. I mean, if it saves just one child and all.

They think that laws can stop evil people and stop shootings from happening in the first place. They are delusional.

At the gun shows, the zip tie, while useless and doing nothing to prevent someone from taking it off and loading up, represents those gun laws and allows the organizers of the event to tell their insurance carrier, the owner of the venue, and the local governments that, while there will be some guns present, they will be unloaded and made inoperable by a strap!

We wouldn't want loaded guns out there now would we? :rolleyes:
Yep it's more for the insurance purposes than anything else. I don't agree with it, but that's the way it is for now.

As to the OP's bladed instrument question. Unless they're a total nutcase I doubt anyone would be foolish enough to try anything and if they did half if not everyone in there could have that silly zip tie cut and a mag loaded before he could do too much harm. Just wouldn't want to be the unlucky SOB he was closest to.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Where I live, the Sheriff Deputies are at all the doors. All weapons are checked and unloaded. They use a ziplock down the barrel. The worst I ever heard of at a gun show here is someone dealing a non secured gun off a table while the vendor was not looking. I doubt if the guy got out the door because they put stickers on all guns as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Once again a gun rule that only penalizes the lawful gun owner. Someone who wanted to shoot the place up would not bother with buying ammo there. They would not bother with getting their gun zip-tied. They would just walk in and start shooting. BTW the gun show in my city requires you get your gun zip-tied at the front door, but if you buy one there, it only has a small plastic stopper in the chamber with a tiny handle poking out preventing the slide from fully closing. Takes 2 seconds to remove that plastic piece.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I just thought of something. So if a person says yes, do they ask you to unload your gun, most likely with a lot of people around, and then they zip tie it?! Sounds like a lot of unnecessary gun handling.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Except for one gun show I attended years ago, every show I've ever heard of was in a city/county owned building. Your local laws may be different, but here it is illegal to carry a loaded weapon on to city property. The City of Houston even had to amend local ordinances to allow the sale of ammo at a city owned venue (the down town brown), that is a popular Gun Show location. The only time that didn't apply was at an old grocery store location where I live. It was a privately owned building. You paid your money, and you walked in. It was a really small show though, and it never came back.

·
Registered
24,853 Posts
I went to my local gun & knife show this morning, it rolls around about every six weeks or so. So, as I'm strolling by the tables, a thought occurs to me; they make you check your firearm at the door, making sure it's unloaded and they cable tie it, but there's some serious blades just laying on the tables.
Stay with me here.
Where can you go and have thousands of people in a confined area, mind their manners? I'm thinkin' if the place was filled with thousands of liberals for some odd reason, I don't think the knives or the people would be safe. What do you think?

btw, I came home with a gently used P3AT (was a cops BUG) for $150.00 otd, Took it home and cleaned her up, went to the range and fired 50 rounds of ball and about 20 rounds of some good for nothing Remington H.P.'s, the thing ran like a Singer sewing machine.
It was explained to me that it is a means to keep everyone safe in that venue and there is a liability issue if they don't do it.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I just thought of something. So if a person says yes, do they ask you to unload your gun, most likely with a lot of people around, and then they zip tie it?! Sounds like a lot of unnecessary gun handling.
Not sure how they handle it in Orlando, I was only there 1 time and noticed it was the same promoter as the Miami show but no medal detectors like in Miami. In Miami most people bring them in unloaded. I have seen several people unload them in line while waiting to get in, and i have seen other hand it over at the table where they check them stating they are loaded. They get a nasty look and the guy checking them in unloads them. Not very safe in my opinion, just an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
828 Posts
QUOTE]

Are you serious? Do you think the liberal boogymen are going to get you?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts