Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DEAD SERIOUS TRUE: Just a few hours ago there was apparently an intruder in our house. I rent a room in a house, and around 9:00pm EST the landlady thought she saw one of her kids (adults) go out the back door. But when she called out to him the guy did not respond, and her son came out of his bedroom to check what was going on. She then called for me to ask if it was me, but I was watching TV in my room and did not hear or see anything. And the dog had gotten loose outside as the person rushed out, proof enough it was not her imagination. We called the cops and gave a very limited description and they checked the property out but found nothing. In this situation I have not a clue how to wind down from this and get on with everything, but all in all I am the calmest person right now in the house. Pretty brazen though, for someone to just walk in with three people in the house. Tonight my Taurus is under my pillow and my Mag-lite is on the nightstand.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Be safe and keep your doors locked.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Wow that is scary, sleep light. Does your landlady carry or know how to shoot? If not maybe it is time for you to teach her.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Keep vigilant and get a dog, that's the best alarm out there by far!

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
That's pretty scary. Are the doors normally kept locked? If they are I'd change the locks. If they're not, I'd start locking them all the time. Might check for other means of entry too. I wouldn't sleep with a gun under a pillow. For one thing it's uncomfortable. For another it's dangerous. Between the mattress and box spring works a lot better. ;)

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep vigilant and get a dog, that's the best alarm out there by far!
You will note I mentioned the dog, a worthless labrador that only barks at other dogs.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's pretty scary. Are the doors normally kept locked? If they are I'd change the locks. If they're not, I'd start locking them all the time. Might check for other means of entry too. I wouldn't sleep with a gun under a pillow. For one thing it's uncomfortable. For another it's dangerous. Between the mattress and box spring works a lot better. ;)
Actually the Taurus is also on the nightstand with the flashlight, yes too uncomfortable. And yes I will be discussing the lock situation with her, I will not go into details here.

And now I know I'm the only one in the house with a gun. Again I will not detail.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for sharing this unsettling experience with us.

I'm glad that the intruder did not confront / attack anyone in the house.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Had an intruder prior to my gun ownership days - slept with every light on in the house for at least a week.

Stay safe OP.

Brought to you via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Actually the Taurus is also on the nightstand with the flashlight, yes too uncomfortable. And yes I will be discussing the lock situation with her, I will not go into details here.

And now I know I'm the only one in the house with a gun. Again I will not detail.
I used to keep a pistol on my nightstand - till I went sleep shooting one fine summer's night some thirty odd years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night (almost woke up would be more accurate), reached over and picked up my pistol, fired a round through the open window, and went back to sleep. The next morning I thought I had dreamed the whole thing - till I found the spent cartridge under the hammer. That was the last time it slept on the nightstand. Never had that problem with it between the mattress and the box spring, and I don't worry about someone slithering into my bedroom and shooting me with my own gun. I know where it is. They won't.

And regarding locks - they're meant to be used. If they weren't you are extremely lucky. Anyone could have walked in. And if they were there once, they might just come back. What would be nagging me is the question "what were they there to do?" I haven't seen any mention of anything stolen, so what was their motivation?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I used to keep a pistol on my nightstand - till I went sleep shooting one fine summer's night some thirty odd years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night (almost woke up would be more accurate), reached over and picked up my pistol, fired a round through the open window, and went back to sleep. The next morning I thought I had dreamed the whole thing - till I found the spent cartridge under the hammer. That was the last time it slept on the nightstand. Never had that problem with it between the mattress and the box spring, and I don't worry about someone slithering into my bedroom and shooting me with my own gun. I know where it is. They won't.

And regarding locks - they're meant to be used. If they weren't you are extremely lucky. Anyone could have walked in. And if they were there once, they might just come back. What would be nagging me is the question "what were they there to do?" I haven't seen any mention of anything stolen, so what was their motivation?
I have my own theories about motive, I will not detail. But thanks for all the advice, I am thinking about everything.

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
I use a tight fitting holster with a extra mag and snap top. Plus my belt carry mag holder with two more 16 round mags For a total of 4 16 round mags. I keep them between my mattress and bedspring. My gun safe is right against the wall 3' away with my Mossy 12 gage and a few more surprises. Because I have my 2 year old grandson living with us for the time being I don't have one chambered. As he is into everything But does not know where it is or can get it out with the holster. I do chamber if I have it on. And he can't open the safe. I leave the keys to the safe at night on top with a blue LED light and have practiced opening it in the dark. I also have a Surefire on my nightstand.

I also have motion sensor lights all around the house and 4 dogs. Two are Blue Healer Beagle mix and are vary sensitive to what outside.

Reactions: MilProGuy

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Small things ive learned vis a vis carrying at home over the two odd years ive been walking 'in the light'.

Hollywood has a lot of inaccurate firearms tropes. Perhaps the most dangerous is the one depicting the armed charachter disarming upon closing the door of their abode.

This habit can get you killed in reality. Home is no more safer than any other place. Locks can be picked, and windows can be broken. Anyone with a brick and legs can get into your place.If the crooks are more intelligent they'll pose as government workers such as the Census workers. I used to be an Enumerator a few moons ago and was amazed at the number of people who invited me, a complete stranger , into their home based on a laminate 3"x5" ID card. I didn't accept the lemonade invites due to the government policies, but the bottom line is that violent encounters can happen on the East Side at 2:00am....or your living room at 8:00pm.

Keep the weapon concealed.That doorbell could be a mailman delivering a signed package or a meth junkie casing your home to see if anyone is present.Either way keeping the weapon hidden allows for preparedness without hysterics.

Here is a thought for those who believe in disarming when coming home. I understand the practice, and in a mad mad world I understand that its simply human nature to believe there is at least ONE place on Earth sacred to your own peace of mind. That said, if you are challenged by a ghetto punk outside you have the option to escape. In your living room there is no place to run to, because you are already at home. The stakes are higher if you have kids or a female significant other in the home and doubly so if they are of the left leaning sort.You literally will have to keep your wits and the wits of other human beings together in a time of crisis. I have been in a life or death situation with a woman who fell apart at the worst possible time, and keeping yourself from losing it in those circumstances is hard enough.

If one lives with roomates I would DEFINITELY not be unarmed.When I lived with a friend the PT99 came with me into the bathroom two steps away from my bedroom. Vouching for your friends is all well and good, but can you vouch for THEIR pals? Your roommate would never steal, but his girlfriend might not be so principled. Or his drug addicted brother that he can't get rid of. When others live in the residence all weapons not on your person are secured with multiple locks, and ammunition on your person or somewhere else. Life is too short to come home to flashing lights and waiting constables because a gun you own was used in a crime of passion while you were at work.

Last but DEFINITELY not least, tell no one that you carry at home. The fewer people know it, the less likely that kind of knowledge will make its way to the people one would least want to know.

Back to topic, I can identify with how you feel. I had my own SD close call this holiday season.It was a cold reminder for me that life can go from predictable to deadly in impossible places at impossibly fast speed.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Anything missing or out of place? Glad nothing went down.

·
35,996 Posts
...Because I have my 2 year old grandson living with us for the time being I don't have one chambered. As he is into everything...
Good call, Rick.

Since my wife and I have taken on the legal custody of our 15-month-old great-grandson, I have removed the rounds from the chambers of each of my semiautomatics, for the very same reason.

·
35,996 Posts
...tell no one that you carry at home. The fewer people know it, the less likely that kind of knowledge will make its way to the people one would least want to know.
Great post!

This one particular thought echoed through my head a few times. That's because I feel the same way; in fact, I don't want people outside the home to know I'm carrying either...for the same reason you mentioned.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Check to make sure he did not unlock some windows or something to allow easy access when everyone goes to sleep. Any spare keys missing?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts