Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
I just found this place last night late. I signed immediately! And, I am extremely glad I did. Back when I was a teen, I knew everything, or nearly everything there was to know about guns. Then I went to college, and started my engineering (Quality Control) career at an auto manufacturer and had no time for guns, unfortunately. However, recently I became aware of the potential meltdown of our govt along with threats from space and all sorts of things that said to me, "You had better get some more self defense items." So, I have 3 shotguns, and a handgun but there are two of us so we need more. No problem, I will just go buy a new rifle. Then I started to look and did I ever get an awakening. My God, I thought it was only computers that were moving on ahead of everyone. I started trying to learn and that was about two years ago and now I have learned so much it could all be inscribed on the head of a pin.

We live in a rural area, with tons of woods and hills. In fact, here in Indiana, this little part where we live is called the "Little Smokies". The property is long, maybe close to 2,000 feet in length and maybe 500 to 750 feet wide. But the great thing is, if there is a problem and let's say all the system meltdown and there are none, our road can be shutoff! THAT would be great! But, still there are those who will head for the woods and come in that way so I want protection. My motto is: It is far better to be prepared and not need it than to not be prepared and need it. Now, if I could just convince my wife of this, but I know it won't happen until finally I hear her say, "Honey, you were right all this time." It is a common sentence heard around our household. Don't believe it when you are told but wait until it hits you square in the face. So, while I am married, I am all alone in the planning to be prepared.

I am 99% sure I want an AR type rifle. Now, the next obvious question is caliber. I had decided on .308 because of the distance factor. But then I decided that .223 ammo is much more prevalent and if I am going to come across ammo, it most likely will be .223. And an AR with a good scope/sighting, should be able to reach out and do it's thing at a safe distance from the house, right? Now, I am 67, retired at age 49 due to disability (got a huge spinal problem) but am still upright and walking although the docs said that would end 15 years ago. I am no rambo but think I can take care of us if things happen, maybe. If I can keep the enemy away from the house, we should be okay until some wise @ss comes along with some big power or worse. We will pray that does not happen.

So anyway, I may be asking a lot of "beginner" questions and I hope you all can excuse that. But for now, that's my story.

I can say right away, one thing I am looking for is a caliber chart from small to big with ALL the calibers shwon and also an interchangability chart. I know you all probably are saying, "Ah come on man get with it." and I will but as I said, I will be asking . . . .

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas where the West Begins...

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Welcome to the great fraternity of Taurus handgun owners!

I can honestly say that my decision to join this forum has provided me with countless hours of enjoyable reading, posting, and exchanging information and experiences with the guys and gals of TaurusArmed.net.

As a bonus, I’ve also made a lot of great friends along the way, too, who have greatly enriched my life.

We are are glad to have you aboard!

Reactions: bre346

·
Super Moderator
21,621 Posts
Welcome from Mid TN I've done some hiking in the real smokies got a spot picked out LOL hang around and jump right in. We are a friendly bunch. :)

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma.

·
Super Moderator
36,966 Posts
Welcome from Northern Illinois! I'm with you, hope for the best but plan for the worst. I need an AR in 5.56 to round out my collection.

·
Registered
3,769 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Another warm welcome from North Texas! :wave: I purchased an AR last year for the first time. Never thought I would but I'm glad I did. My heavy gun is a 30-06 (bolt action and an M1 Garand). 5.56 ammo is relatively inexpensive especially in bulk (XM-193 & XM-855 Penetrator). If you want something compact but heavy get a SOCOM Scout Rifle in 7.62x54.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
Welcome from East Texas!

My suggestion is to get an AR in .223 because of the low cost ammo availability, but investigate which ones are the best to get if you want to change the upper to a different caliber.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
Welcome from Lapeer,Michigan.:wave:

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome from Kentucky!

·
Super Moderator
40,610 Posts
from the Florida Keys! :wave: