Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you explain the difference in quality of the guns as seen in the catalog and taurus website as compared to the ad at Bugs Gun shop? THe catalog ones look like they spent a few grand having it spiffed up by kimber for example while using a low quality gun put together by an alcoholic for the gunstore ad.

The safety has me confused here. In one paragraph it sounds like flipping the manual safety to "on" disengages the sear as well as lowering the hammer all the way down onto the firing pin. In adifferent paragraph it sounds like the manual safety merely deactivates the firing pin for the user to safely lower the hammer down by hand.

And do you need any tools for dissassembly? THe manual makes it clear that you push in the spring button/cap in, and rotate the bushing guide. Yet every article on the 1911 i have seen in the past says you CANT dissassembly without having a 10 dollar bushing tool.

SO whats the story on the safety and the dissassembly/

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
It comes with the tool. The safty keeps you from being able to pull the trigger at all so I dont know how you would be able to put it on and lower the hammer ???

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Bezoar said:
Can you explain the difference in quality of the guns as seen in the catalog and taurus website as compared to the ad at Bugs Gun shop? THe catalog ones look like they spent a few grand having it spiffed up by kimber for example while using a low quality gun put together by an alcoholic for the gunstore ad.
Two things to keep in mind. Taurus hires the best professional photographer to present their product in the best possible light. Bud's takes pictures of guns, usually straight out of the box and the are packing the new 1911's in a heavy packing grease. The difference is like a model who has professional makeup, lighting and a photographer who knows his stuff... and the same model who gets up for breakfast in her grubbies with her hair pulled back in clippies.

The safety has me confused here. In one paragraph it sounds like flipping the manual safety to "on" disengages the sear as well as lowering the hammer all the way down onto the firing pin. In adifferent paragraph it sounds like the manual safety merely deactivates the firing pin for the user to safely lower the hammer down by hand.
I think you are mixing ads. The 24/7 OSS has a safety that also works as a decocker. The 1911 has never had anything more than the hammer safety. Now, there are other safeties built into the gun... a firing pin safety, grip safety, etc. but the only one you engage is the hammer block safety.

And do you need any tools for dissassembly? THe manual makes it clear that you push in the spring button/cap in, and rotate the bushing guide. Yet every article on the 1911 i have seen in the past says you CANT dissassembly without having a 10 dollar bushing tool.
The full length guide rod adds a bit of complication to the traditional 1911... where you could press the cap down with your thumb, however Taurus includes a bushing tool which makes it handy to do a field stripping. You can do it without this tool if you understand what you are doing.

SO whats the story on the safety and the dissassembly/
[/quote]

There are lots of good sites on disassembling the 1911 and all of them are applicable to the Taurus 1911. Spend some time researching before you buy.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cimarron,

the manual makes it sound like you simply push the recoil spring plug in with your finger tip, and simply rotate the barrel bushing... doesnt say it must be done with a tool for safety or ease of removal.

and in the manual safety issue i may have confused the non user controled "half cock" notch the hammer possesses in case the user releases the slide to soon when working the slide.

Sadly, they could have been a little more clear when explaining the manual safety and the carry condition level chart. I think that made me think the safety doubled as a decocker as it never really mentions decocking the hammer by holding it with a thumb while pulling the trigger.

Still, dont need to worry to much on the inner workings. Im way to smart to understand my limitations and realize that im not qualified enough to take each adn every little part off the frame as some of you here are. My hats off to those who can do that.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Bezoar said:
cimarron,

the manual makes it sound like you simply push the recoil spring plug in with your finger tip, and simply rotate the barrel bushing... doesnt say it must be done with a tool for safety or ease of removal.
Actually, you can IF your finger tip can handle the sharp rim of the recoil plug. You can also use something like a small screw driver to depress the plug enough to turn the barrel bushing.

The sign of a "tight" barrel bushing is that it is "tight"... loose bushing mean loose accuracy... so you are kind of caught betwenn performance and convenience.

and in the manual safety issue i may have confused the non user controled "half cock" notch the hammer possesses in case the user releases the slide to soon when working the slide.
I'm really not sure what you mean here, but know that the half cock notch was never intended to be a fire control safety... it is there only if you slip while dropping the hammer.

Sadly, they could have been a little more clear when explaining the manual safety and the carry condition level chart. I think that made me think the safety doubled as a decocker as it never really mentions decocking the hammer by holding it with a thumb while pulling the trigger.
Again, I have a feeling you would find it profitable to search and read articiles on the net on the 1911, safety, function, etc. These are great guns, but they came from an era in which they were only one step removed for the .45 revolver.

Still, dont need to worry to much on the inner workings. Im way to smart to understand my limitations and realize that im not qualified enough to take each adn every little part off the frame as some of you here are. My hats off to those who can do that.
Well, there is no need to become a 1911 guru, but understanding how these guns work is a real assett.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.