Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forums and to Taurus. I've always been a glock, FN, Springfield armor, FN, and S&W user. Mostly Glocks and my favorite pistol which is just cool as anything is my FN Five-Seven which holds 20rd mags of 5.7x28mm ammo. It's just fun shooting that type ammo in a handgun. I've been around rifles, shotguns, and handguns since I was YOUNG (hunting with a .22 at my grandparents lake house) and then got into long range sniper rifles when my good friend became a sniper in the marines, so I have one very nice sniper rifle.

Anyways, that was my intro I guess. I hope everyone is very cool and helpful at this forum. A lot of my buddies (younger guys and woman on a budget) own Taurus's (mostly the 24/7 pro) and my father just bought a Taurus 1911 because he has a cult like addiction to 1911 series handguns. He likes it (not his favorite, but no complaints)

Anyways. I'm taking my concealed weapons course in a week (I'm 22yrs old). I was going to carry my glock 30 but I don't like the idea of NO safeties on a gun i'm going to be carrying on me concealed. However I LOVE the glock feel. The PT 24/7 .45 is the closest I've came to it. The only difference I have to get used to is the trigger engagement point on that compared to a glock, but I'm just like any gun maker there is something you have to get used to. The place I am taking the course at has more then a few in stock and since I'm taking the course there you get a discount on a purchase and since my family only purchase from them (even though they are a family owned shop, but not small at all either) they are going to give me more of a discount, as well as this being father's day weekend. Is this a good deal?

I'm getting:

.45 24/7 Pro SS/Black Gun
6 Magazines 12rd
Complete Cleaning Kit
100rds 185grn Hollow Points
400rds reload range rounds

...all for $320 OTD. I could skip the ammo and get a holster but he doesn't have anything that is what I really want and since I have 90 days of waiting on my actual permit to arrive I have time to shop. Anyways, from what I've seen online as far as prices I might as well be stealing this gun (which I'm not!!!!) He was going to charge $380 but my grandfather and father told him (which i didn't know they told him this, lol, thought i was getting a decent deal) how I'm moving out and it's my birthday coming up, etc... I've read very good things about this gun, but haven't hit up a forum and forums normally have good and bad and upfront answers. Either way I'm going to get it to add to my collection if nothing else, but i really want to carry it as my daily because it feels the closest to a glock but has the safeties I want.

What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
40,363 Posts
I think your gonna do good. Don't own a 24/7, but many of the folks here do. Just ask any questions you may have and they will be answered. Everyone will be cool and helpful here.

And welcome to the forum, from West Texas :wave:

Go to the member introduction, and introduce yourself. Hope you enjoy your new home.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'd say, since you're getting 6 mags, you're getting a hell of a deal. Even better if the gun is new. Mags tend to run between 25 and 35 bucks, so it's almost like getting the gun for 200.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The gun is brand new in the box; not one round ran through it or opened at all. It's not even a display model. BRAND NEW!

and i just found out even better news. my father just said that it was for sure gold-dot amm hollow points he is giving me the 100ct and those things are not cheap. I normally pay $24 for 20ct.

As long as the gun is as good as every one says that it is i am getting more then a good deal.....this is as close as hitting the lottery as i will ever get, lmao. I have bad luck with getting deals, and its not that i don't search for them, it's that i always miss them. Pics will be up this weekend.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If the gun was used you would be getting a great deal; since it's new you're practically stealing it. Put me in touch with your dealer. (I need a Glock 20 ;))

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
He has really good prices generally. He is always throwing in something for free. Clips, ammo, holster, etc... I wasn't supposed to tell anyone about the deal he was giving me, but I wanted to know (even though my family has done business with them since i was YOUNG) if he was just telling me that or not, since I have never bought a Taurus.

He does do online auctions, so I don't see why he wouldn't ship to anyone and I can see if maybe he will give a certain discount for this forum (even though i'm new, i'm all about getting discounts for anyone I can if I can get discounts; i'm not like some people who brag just to do it...I honestly didn't know if I was getting a good deal or not just because i'm not familiar with Taurus)

However, if you want I can see what he says about putting his name on the board, but I'd rather people not call him and say "well you gave so and so this deal". It just looks bad on me, because I know it has to do with me taking his class and the fathers day sale...but as well as my family name. Send me a PM NYPD in AZ and i'll see what he can do a G20 for you and get you his info.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Your getting a great deal and yes you are stealing it !!! You'll love the 24/7. I have the Pro 9mm SS and have about 400 rounds through it without a hiccup and love it.

·
Administrator
18,273 Posts
That is one astounding deal!!! The basic 24/7 Pro, in any caliber, goes for about $390 plus tax, around here! That's with NO extras, either! I have a 9mm 24/7 Pro and a .45 24/7 OSS Longslide with absolutely no issues and like shooting them! Very feed reliable and accurate!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Great Deal and Welcome! I paid $330 plus transfer from Bud's. You will love the gun. I use it for my carry weapon. Good shooting.

·
Super Moderator
21,796 Posts
I don't own the gun but have the 1911 and as far as I'm concerned you are getting a great deal you'll love the gun and welcome to the forum :)

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I think you'll love the gun, I carry the 24/7 Pro and an XD .40 SC as my carry weapons.

·
Registered
147 Posts
cnlevo said:
Anyways. I'm taking my concealed weapons course in a week (I'm 22yrs old). I was going to carry my glock 30 but I don't like the idea of NO safeties on a gun i'm going to be carrying on me concealed. However I LOVE the glock feel.
I wouldn't let the lack of a manual safety worry me with the Glock. I am not really a Glock fan, but they are a very good dependable and reasonably safe fire arm when treated with respect and handled safely. Even though they do not have a manual safety, their trigger system acts more or less like a safety and you have to actually pull the trigger in order to fire them. And your most accurate safety is keep your finger off the trigger until you actually want to shoot the gun no matter what gun you use.

Most people who have problems with a Glock seems to be how they feel in the hand. Seeing as how you seem to like the feel i wouldn't drop it from my carry list just because it lacks a manual safety lever.

Now, that being said, i Love the Taurus 24/7 OSS model, feels great in the hand and shoots great and will make a great carry gun. The SA/DA trigger of the Taurus will take a bit of getting used to after the Glock, but it is easy to learn and i think you will really like it once you have used it a bit. You will find double taps quite easy to do with the Taurus.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the glock may call it a safety but trust me it is NOT a safety. and your comment (i'm not making fun of your or saying anything wrong, but this is a gun forum and if i didn't know better this is a serious topic about gun safety no matter what gun, when, where, how, etc....) when you said "Even though they do not have a manual safety, their trigger system acts more or less like a safety and you have to actually pull the trigger in order to fire them."

The "safety" you are referring to is nothing more then a feeler to me. your finger is going to cover that anyways. Just like those 1911 safeties on the rear handle; were you hold the gun and your palm squeezes it in allowing it to fire. if you only use that as a safety and have kids then you deserve to have the kids taken from you. (again, this isn't a personal attack on you). My little girl is with me all the time and she loves to jump on me and play and i don't want to take that chance of it going off. And not only do i want a handgun for carrying, i want it to be in my room in the customer holster i made behind my nightstand. So i will wake up if she does come back there (but she doesn't know its there) and IF she does it will have the key lock on. MY home protection is a 12ga pump that I got from a SWAT buddy, but if someone is in my room i won't have a chance to get to the shotgun because of where it is due to safety reasons. The gun where it will be i can grab it, unlock it and fire without the intruder knowing i'm still not sleeping.

Thanks for your response. I'm actually getting the chance to borrow a friends pt 24/7 pro to goto the range to fire it tomorrow. so i will know how i life it before i buy it. (which again, i will purchase it because of the deal and if i for some ODD, OUT OF THIS WORLD REASON I wouldn't want to keep it in my collection of guns i have to have fun at the range i can sell it as a brand new weapon and make $100, but i think with everyone else who loves it i will too).

P.S.- after i got all these responses, i called him before they closed yesterday and told him to hold me it for sure, one thats never been opened, the ss/black one. he said if i wanted, since the ss is more popular and he has less, that he would knock an extra $35 off the entire purchase i bought the "blued" one because he needs to get rid of them (its a more upscale place and side of town, so i guess ppl spend money no matter what to get a color; i'm not broke at all, i'm 22 with a kid and wife and a $200k house and we live very comfortable, but i live life that saving even a penny is saving). So i might get the blued one, which looks black. just depends on my mood because i'm already getting a steal from what everyone says.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Holy s**t! $285.00 for the gun, 6 mags, cleaning kit and 100 rounds of Speers? Aw MAN! If you don't take that deal then you should have your head examined. If he weren't such a good family friend I'd tell you to call the BATF and tell them he's selling hot guns. ;)

Make sure you practice with the Taurus before you take that test. The Hienie sights take some getting used to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I plan on getting the Hienie sights replaced with fire sights or the 1911 sites. (but for the concealed test in florida, you aren't allowed to shoot your own gun. They give you a .22 and you only fire off two rounds. the rest of it is when and how you are allowed to carry and fire your weapon [laws]).

Yea its a crazy deal. He is throwing in the other stuff because he is LONG time family friends. I just hope the mags aren't aftermarket. I only want taurus mags, but either way i will take them as range mags or ask him for something else like another box of range rounds.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
exactly....or i might say keep them and for what they are worth knock it off the $50 it is for the course.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts