Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I just was really excited so I had to share the news with some people that might actually be interested. I found out yesterday that I got accepted into the police academy. Its a far departure from what my 4 year degree is. I also had to resign from a company I started to devote myself to this fully. Sitting in a cubicle all day is for the lose.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Congratulations. Piece of advice from someone who didn't take it themselves.. ;) Listen and learn from your instructors in the academy. They are there for a reason--to help you function the way a police officer should and keep yourself and others you protect out of harm's way. When you finally hit the streets there are going to be a lot of "know-it-all" cops who are gonna say things like "Hey Rookie, don't listen to what they told you in training, do it this way". My take on it is don't do it THEIR way, do it YOUR way. Use what you learn in training and mold it just enough so you feel comfortable in your daily duties. You'll be much more satisfied with yourself and will be able to perform at a higher level. Once again, congratulations and stay safe.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Congratualtions Renard!

Which academy you going to?

I know a guy who was in the California Highway Patrol academy, supposed to be one of the most difficult in the country. He went through the entire program, graduated and then started out his probationary period only to fail. I don't have the specifics, but it sounded like he had difficulty accepting instructions after graduation. It was all over for him.

So, NYPD gave good advice even for after graduation. I am sure your learning will not end and listening to senior officers and a willingness to continue learning will take you far.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Total Congrats :D :D 8)

I have alot of friends in LE.....they totally love there job... ;)

I have a small tidbit to give you also:

Make sure you like what you are doing...
you have to really love your job in this field...
there is no in-between..

I was a firefighter, saw many guys drop because there heart was not in it..most people will never understand this,but anyone that has been in a public saftey service ,will all agree... i think

BTW..People Love Firemen..not too late to go to Fire Academy somewhere..LOL :D :D :D

Sorry all you LE dudes :devil:..K..i am now ready for my spanking :p...LOL

Have fun and Good Luck ;)

·
Registered
846 Posts
Renard, congrats. Never been in that field but I would say that the advice NYPD gave you would well be worth taking to heart.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks all for the good advice. I can't know for sure until I get out of field training, but I feel that this is the most important thing I've done in my life. My heart is defintely in it. I threw away a REALLY REALLY nice job because I feel like LE is my calling. Our city department offers a ride-along program around here. We can go on up to three rides with the patrol officers to see how we like it. Luckily, I hit it off with the guy pretty well and he said they'd let me ride as many times as i want.

Our department issues Glock .40 SW though...Think it is model 22? Anyone have much experience with it? I was hoping to carry my PT1911 :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Most likely it's the G22 full size like you said. Glocks are excellent pistols for LE use. The only thing I don't like about .40 caliber Glocks is that the barrel does not fully support the case when a round is chambered. Supposedly, this has led to catastrophic failures. I say supposedly because I have never seen it happen myself. I have a G23, which is the mid-size .40 cal. The only change I made was purchasing an aftermarket Bar-Sto barrel which corrects this .

If the Dept. issues the Glock 22, you're not going to be able to carry your PT1911. :(

·
Registered
846 Posts
I had read that also NYPD on the Glocks on reloads, that is what led me to the Taurus among other things, no regrets from here.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Congratulations! Upon reading the header title, I thought you were going to say you were a fan of the 45 GAP cartridge.

Best Wishes :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Congrats!

Eyes ALWAYS open! Firemen, cops, drivers, pilots - they all are in danger of easing off when they've got a little experience and nothing disastrous has happened. Private pilots are most likely to get killed at around 200 hours of flying time. Drivers relax precisely when they should be alert. Many cops don't believe that there's a bulls eye on their uniform or that quiet neighborhoods can harbor major BG's.

JimL

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
mrglock,

What kind do you have? :) I've seen a few 45 GAPs on gunbroker selling for reasonable prices including a NIB XD Tactical for $400.00

1 - 15 of 15 Posts