Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you do if you saw a man and woman fighting (woman is losing) and you were legally carrying concealed?

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Well since this is a situation that I have experienced before, with and without a badge. I have also encountered this with and with out a weapon.
STEP 1: I would call for assistance, 911 etc.
STEP 2:Then loudly and carefully attempt to break up the altercation. I say carefully because I have seen domestic caes turn bad fast. The abused partner suddenly sides with the abuser and you end up with them both against you. If it looks like a life is in jeopardy then you have to decide can you get the abuser to back off, hopefully without gun fire or a physical confrontation.
STEP 3: Let the LAW resolve it.
There is no good answer to this one. Just use discretion and caution!!!!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
You carry to protect yourself from bodily harm. A LEO carries to protect the citizens from those that do harm to the citizens.
However, nothing is stopping you from getting involved to stop the woman from being assaulted. You call 911, tell him to stop, use of non lethal force. If, and this is if, the person comes at you with a weapon or in a way that you feel threatened, you back off. In doing so you have taken him away from her (remember you have call 911 first!!). If you find let say he has a gun, he continues at you with a knife, club, or even fists and you feel he is lets say bigger than you or you know you cannot defend yourself and flight is now out of the question you are then at the point that you can use whatever means to save your life.

Every situation that you can possibly go over as a "for instance" can have multiple outcomes. As a CCW holder it is up to you to decide when you need to make the decision to end a life. Just remember it is as THE last resort.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
I'm going to call 911 first thing,then if there's anybody else around, I'm gonna try to attract as much attention to what's happening as I can.. Yell, cuss or whatever..maybe the guy will stop if there are 6 people watching him. If nobody else is around, I guess I have to decide if I need to get involved before the cops get there. Last resort is that weapon coming out, because sometimes when you try to help a gal in trouble you become the enemy..

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I was in a situation like this, but was not armed. I was driving on the mall road when I saw a man assaulting the woman driving his car. I pulled off into a parking spot and called the police and reported the license plate number. The police came to the mall and confronted the man, who alleged no wrong doing, and questioned the woman, who said nothing happened. Unfortunately far too often jerks like this get away with their abusiveness. Had I had a gun I probably would have reacted the same way. Unless the woman's life was in imminent danger I don't think it smart to intervene. You never know how your actions might escalate a situation.

Reactions: Lance0812

·
Super Moderator
21,696 Posts
I have and would not again unless it appeared that lethal force was necessary. I almost went to jail being the good guy. Call the police and video tape it with your phone and be a good witness. JMO

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I dont know about anyone else but I would never stand by and watch a guy lay a finger on a female. Carrying or not I have a moral obligation to step in. And if another persons life is in danger I wouldnt hesitate to draw. As a human being I carry not only to protect myself, but others in life threatening situations.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
I dont know about anyone else but I would never stand by and watch a guy lay a finger on a female. Carrying or not I have a moral obligation to step in. And if another persons life is in danger I wouldnt hesitate to draw. As a human being I carry not only to protect myself, but others in life threatening situations.
I pretty much agree with you here.

A few things to consider, did you see this altercation start or did you walk into it already in progress? Sometimes things are not always as they appear.

I would call 911 and vocally let the fighting parties know from a safe distance. Getting involved in something without a clear picture of what is going on could end up badly for you even if your intentions were well! It is a tough line that I hope I never have to walk.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Call 911 and keep watch with a recorder if possible. I would not intervene unless it turned deadly and intervention was the very last option. Sorry but i carry to protect me and my family.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I cannot believe so many would stand by and watch a guy strike a female. NOTHING a female could do can justify a male striking a female.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
I cannot believe so many would stand by and watch a guy strike a female. NOTHING a female could do can justify a male striking a female.
I am a man of honor, but if a woman wants to beat on me first, then it's on like Donkey Kong. Of course there are exceptions.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
I am a man of honor, but if a woman wants to beat on me first, then it's on like Donkey Kong. Of course there are exceptions.
If a woman wants to beat on you then calmly restrain her until the athorities arive. Its not difficult.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Magun I understand your sense of honor however you are putting yourself in more than physical danger.
As has been mentioned when you put yourself between two people fighting you will often have two people going after you.

What hasn't been mentioned is you are putting yourself in legal jeopardy an financial jeopardy.
If she still loves the jerk she could claim YOU caused her injuries. You can't fix stupid.
If you shoot and kill the guy you can be sure you will need a lawyer to fully clear yourself. Especially since YOUR life was not in danger until you decided to get involved. How large is your nest egg? Want it smaller? Need a few years off to think about things? The prosecutor can arrange it for you.

Cold as it may sound I MAY take a couple of pictures and then call 911. Then I would wish her luck. I'm not risking my life or situation in life for a stranger. Especially not knowing the full circumstances.

Story from CC instructor:
A man was walking down the street in a city. (he gave full details but I cannot remember the city as it's not important)
The buildings were separated by small alleys.
As he passed by one alley he saw a nicely dressed woman being assaulted by a scruffy man. He had her face pressed up against the wall while he was fumbling with his pants. She was struggling to get away.
This man pulled his weapon and yelled toward the woman and scuffy man. The scruffy man reached in his coat pocket and spun in the direction of the good guy.
Fearing for his life the good guy fired his weapon killing the assailant.
End result:
This good guy is spending time in prison for killing a police officer who was attempting to arrest a prostitute.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Went over this in my CC class.

Be a good witness. Unless there is clear and present danger to either the man or the woman, there is no need for one to get involved and certainly add more fuel to the fire by drawing a gun. Call 911 and be a good witness.

·
Registered
10,022 Posts
Should have made it more clear. Yes I would definitely step in, but I would not pull my weapon unless it was life threatening. Personally Id rather be arrested for doing what is right rather than standing idly by. Idle hands do the devils work.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great responses everyone, thank you so much. Here is what happened. I am a firefighter for a local dept and on my way to work this am I made my usual stop at wally world (in uniform) for some groceries for the station. I always carry my pt145 and as I exited my truck I noticed a rather large black male standing near the entrance to the store. Something didnt seem right so I watched him while I headed for the entrance. He walked over to and got in a parked vehicle with a black female in the drivers seat and before I entered the store he was wailing on her. She was screaming and attempting to fight back but he was obviously getting the better of her. I almost pulled my pistol but something told me not to so I called 911. While on the phone with dispatch she managed to exit the vehicle. He got out, went around, and got in the drivers seat. She went in the store as he pulled off but I stayed to watch where he went as I still had 911 on the phone. He circled the lot but returned and parked the car and headed for the entrance. I started to follow but as he got to the entrance several employees stopped him and wouldnt let him enter. Apparently she went in and told people inside what had happened. Police arrived at that time and started questioning him while she stayed in the store. The store employees said he must have beat the hell out of her judging by her face. He denied doing anything other than pushing her with an open hand at which point I told the police I was a witness and saw everything. I filled out a statement and they arrested him. I have felt bad most of the day for not acting but everyone tells me I handled it right.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I would like to request something here on this forum to any and all that would be interested in getting involved. I think it would be interesting and a good excerise.

Are there any computer animators here? I'm suggesting that a sort of computer animation simulation of different situations be created. Using only stick figures and first person (viewer). With different synarios. At the end of each a list of 4 possible questions for the viewer. All would be with the viewer armed and a few where the viewer draws and/or fires their weapon. Misses, wounds or kills the right or wrong persons and the results of that decision.

Call it "Who is the Bad Guy?"

Anyone?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Witnessed it one time while walking my dog. I was armed, on the other side of the street. Drunk guy throws drunk woman into schoolyard chain link fence. An unmarked rolled up just as he delivered a right cross knocking her to the ground. He had red lasers all over him. Ordered to his knees, hands behind is head facing away from LEO's, they start to cuff him, SHE jumps on the other plain clothes cop! He quickly subdues her and they both go to jail.

Bottom line, it would have to be an immenent life or death thing, after I called 911 and stayed on the line detailing EVERY detail before I'd intervene. I'm too old and broken to engage otherwise.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Hypotheticals IMO are impossible to answer because we can never know all the variables beforehand and whatever we say we MIGHT do can end up being nothing like we anticipated.

When I was in training for Vietnam I thought over and over how I might handle a combat situation but when the real deal hits all the "what ifs" are meaningless.

As a rookie in the fire academy I did the same thing but the first time I crawled into a burning house I realized each situation is unique and you can't plan for everything.

So I guess my answer is I don't know what I'd do if confronted with that scenario.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts