Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
22,058 Posts
To be honest bubba I am not sure. I will tell you I have been using Gunblast spray on mine for about 7 months with no ill effects.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just planning on using brake cleaner, and I know that stuff tends to be very hard on anything plastic... Gunblast is close, but not quite as harsh, so if you've been using it for that amount of time....things should be good to go.

·
22,058 Posts
As much as I shoot and clean my pistols, I believe I would have seen problems by now if Gunblast was bad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
airwrench said:
As much as I shoot and clean my pistols, I believe I would have seen problems by now if Gunblast was bad.
That's why I was asking, as I wanted to know from someone who has been working with these pistols longer than I.

Thanks again.

·
22,058 Posts
Any time. Let me know what you think of the stuff. It cleans pretty good for me. It evaporates quickly as well. Use it with adequate ventilation. A bit fumy it is.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
airwrench said:
Any time. Let me know what you think of the stuff. It cleans pretty good for me. It evaporates quickly as well. Use it with adequate ventilation. A bit fumy it is.
As far as Gunscrubber (this is the product you meant, correct?) goes, I've used it in the past. Seeing what it did and how it acted made me grab my good old can of brake cleaner from the shop. The only difference to me was price (cheapest brake cleaner I can find) and needing to take care around the plastic parts that are becoming more common with guns nowdays. Both products degrease and clean just find for me.

·
22,058 Posts
I just realized I was calling it gunblast. :???:

Yes gunscrubber is what I was talking about.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Bichwood Casey makes a Syn. Safe cleaner that works great and won't hurt any parts of the gun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've always used carb cleaner when things needed more "cleaning" than possible with brake cleaners. Carb cleaners tend to remove paints and things more easily than brake cleaners, and there is a difference in the types of plastics within carbs and guns> one type is much more "solvent resistant" than the other.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used brake cleaner on my gun it just leaves a white cloudy residue didnt hurt the finish or anything it worked great. Just wipe with a gun oil cloth when done.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
As far as I've been able to find, the only Plastic Part on/in the Slide is the Polymer end/dust cap on the back of the slide. The Cap is removable, but I'm not sure how often it can be done without damaging it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good, I was thinking that was just a "painted" (or something close) metal piece back there. Good to know.

Thanks.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts