Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

So I've had this pistol for around 2 years and I've put about 800 rounds of various types of ammo through it. Right out of the box it ran like a champ. Now I'm getting intermittent FTF errors. It seems to be the 2nd or 3rd round in the magazine, regardless of which mag. Last time I took it out mag #1 was acting up, this time it's mag #2. I just did the enhancements (slide stop corner, extractor corner and barrel smoothing) in the Smithing section sticky. I hope that clears up the problem. To be honest, I'm at a loss why this is giving me so much grief all of the sudden! (this *is* my carry weapon)
I don't think ~800 rounds is excessive. It should still be 100% reliable! Any ideas, suggestions?

Thanks,
Al

In other news: I put about 160 rounds through my new AMD65 (Aimee) without a glitch. She is AWESOME!!!

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
I would first off try 2-3 different brands /types of ammunition, you might also consider replacing the recoil spring.
these lil micro pistols eat up springs big time as compared to full sized versions in the same caliber, although that seems like a low round count for that to be a problem.
have you cleaned your mags?

·
Registered
496 Posts
When I've had this problem it was only after my hand was sore and I was not providing a firm platform. The only other though I have is do you take the mags apart for cleaning? Mine get pretty dirty so I clean them after every trip.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys.

I keep the mags clean. If I have the same failures next time out I'll replace the springs. I never considered that those may be the problem.

·
Registered
36,039 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys.

I keep the mags clean. If I have the same failures next time out I'll replace the springs. I never considered that those may be the problem.
I generally keep a few backup springs for all my Taurus semi pistols, simply becasue you can't get them anywhere else, they are extremely cheap, and at times Even Taurus will be out of them.
I suggest just going ahead and buying 2-3 for the 738, and any other springs for the taurus weapons that you have, I mostly say this as the shipping is going to be 5 times what 1 -738 spring will cost ya.

·
32,481 Posts
Just kind of piggybacking on what these guys said.

The firing pin channel may need a blow out and cleaning with something like GunScrubber,toothpicks, and wet and dry patches.

Just an idea.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts