Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Let me guess, statistically they're all roughly equal, with maybe a 10% difference in effectiveness tops between calibers, right? These statistics have been posted ad nauseam at this point, and seem to get recycled every few years by some fledgling YouTube Channel desperately trying to farm views, likes, and comments by posting something like this.

Everyone knows that basically any cartridge is potentially lethal/incapacitating with proper shot placement, and that handgun cartridges typically don't have the energy to incapacitate someone unless they're struck in a vital structure, estatistics such as these are moot with nothing particularly enlightening to offer.

·
Registered
242 Posts
this got some interesting comments going between the guys that think their favorite hollow point bullet vs. shot
placement is most important -------------

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Let me guess, statistically they're all roughly equal, with maybe a 10% difference in effectiveness tops between calibers, right? These statistics have been posted ad nauseam at this point, and seem to get recycled every few years by some fledgling YouTube Channel desperately trying to farm views, likes, and comments by posting something like this.

Everyone knows that basically any cartridge is potentially lethal/incapacitating with proper shot placement, and that handgun cartridges typically don't have the energy to incapacitate someone unless they're struck in a vital structure, estatistics such as these are moot with nothing particularly enlightening to offer.
Good grief...so by your opening phrase..."let me guess"...you didn't watch the video in its entirety ?

I think studying 1800 shootings and analyzing the results of such would at least garner a nice thought from you, Tuco, and maybe a 'thank you' for his efforts. I think it would take quite sometime to research 1800 shootings.

Oh, with the negative...

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean to be negative, but I've seen so many of these videos at this point that they've become bewilderingly redundant to me, and what's more, I find it frustrating that they never reach a definitive conclusion, even if it's based purely on opinion. I don't like watching videos that spend 15+ minutes on a subject without ever actually making any progress.

It reminds me of those obnoxious click-baity "9mm Luger vs .45 ACP" that spend a half an hour rattling off statistics and showing off ballistics gel testing just to say; "They're both effective Duty Cartridges" as if there was any doubt about that or it somehow makes up for the fact that the whole premise of the video was false because the creator never had any intention of actually picking a winner/favorite to begin with.
I'd honestly rather listen to someone's opinion based on statistics than just the raw facts, because at least then there's some real thought put into it rather than merely someone reading numerical figures off a sheet of paper.

So no, I didn't watch the video at all, but by all means, if it is something other than my admittedly presumptuous and rude description of these sorts of videos in general, then please tell me so because I would happily watch a video that breaks the mold by taking a new approach, provides fresh information, and isn't afraid to inject a bit of opinion into the subject, make some arguments, or even be so bold as to criticize the use of raw statistics as the basis for reaching a definitive conclusion. Not to mention provide a thorough, thoughtful analysis of ths data presented.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Somewhat interesting, but also pretty much what Tuco described - another rehash of the Elfritz study which was completed in 2012.

The overall conclusions are
1) For self defense all calibers 380 or larger are about equally effective - statistically speaking.
2) Smaller calibers are just as effective as larger calibers for psychological stops (i.e. aggressor isn't incapacitated but still stops aggressive action to avoid being shot again
3) Larger calibers are more effective against more determined attackers (non-psychological stops)
4) Rifles and shotguns are better than handguns
5) Train with and get good with the biggest caliber you can reliably use to get multiple hits on target

No surprises there - we all pretty much know these facts.

·
Registered
37,206 Posts
well having seen a couple actual shootings and worked to plug up the holes in a few as well my take--
the larger the hollow point (expanded) and the sharper the petals then the better the chance of nicking , cutting something vital to make it bleed.
now thats on shots that don't hit exactly dead center like they always do in the Movies.
course if you always make brain, spinal shots then I guess it don't matter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts