Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my chiropractor for an adjustment today. having just started carrying, this was the first time I had come upon this kind of situation. during the adjustment i need to lay on my stomach and my back. Today I chose not to take my pistol because I was not sure how he would react to my taking it out of my pocket ( pocket holster is my prefered carry method).

what does anyone else do in this type of situation? or going to your Dr appointment?

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
In Alabama it is illegal to carry in a hospital, clinic, or Drs office. I always disarm before going in.

edit: However, we have a very lax gun bill in the works here in Alabama....who knows how it will come out?

·
Registered
300 Posts
My doctor carries and he knows I do. But to answer your question if I think there is a chance of being discovered I would leave it in the car.
For me it's not worth the hassle of the possible problems. I pick and choose my fights whenever possible.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
My lcp is always in my pocket at the chiropractors office and while being given adjustments.My doc is a woman and is cool with guns.We talk about them often.You could always ask.If there are no laws preventing you from carrying there and no sign on the door I say go for it.If he objects it may be time to find a new chiropractor.

·
Registered
14,082 Posts
If it makes you feel better, lock the gun in the car and pocket the magazine just to keep the two separate. As mentioned by another in many states including Texas (unless things have changed) it is not legal to carry in a hospital, doctors office or medical facility.

Doesn't matter if your Doctor carries in his office or not. It is his office, but you by law are expected to know the laws and play accordingly.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I personally would lock it in the car, legal or not, unless I KNEW the Dr. was gun friendly. At this point, I don't really trust doctors with the govt most likely leaning on them to report any gun info good bad or otherwise.

·
Registered
239 Posts
While a bit late for those whose physicians, et. al. know they carry, isn't it a bad idea in general due to the rumors (yeah I know, I know...) that doctors are possibly gonna be asked to get gun ownership information from their patients? I had heard in some places that this information could be required under the abomination known as 'obamacare'.

·
Registered
783 Posts
My doctor knows I carry and I place it the table while he does his thing, no problem mon :)

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
My DC knows I carry. He does, his assistant does. There is no problem there. Also the laws apply to Doctors offices. I am not 100% sure a chiropractors office qualifies as a doctor's office. They really are not doctors. Not knocking them, i use one when I need to and was in his office yesterday. They are indispensible in my opinion, but are not doctors.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
My DC knows I carry. He does, his assistant does. There is no problem there. Also the laws apply to Doctors offices. I am not 100% sure a chiropractors office qualifies as a doctor's office. They really are not doctors. Not knocking them, i use one when I need to and was in his office yesterday. They are indispensible in my opinion, but are not doctors.
I'm not sure either but that's something a person needs to research and be very sure of the law before carrying at a chiropractor's office.

Remember "Ignorance of the law...................."

·
Registered
428 Posts
I leave it in the car
i went to my chiropractor for an adjustment today. Having just started carrying, this was the first time i had come upon this kind of situation. During the adjustment i need to lay on my stomach and my back. Today i chose not to take my pistol because i was not sure how he would react to my taking it out of my pocket ( pocket holster is my prefered carry method).

What does anyone else do in this type of situation? Or going to your dr appointment?

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I went to my chiropractor for an adjustment today. having just started carrying, this was the first time I had come upon this kind of situation. during the adjustment i need to lay on my stomach and my back. Today I chose not to take my pistol because I was not sure how he would react to my taking it out of my pocket ( pocket holster is my prefered carry method).

what does anyone else do in this type of situation? or going to your Dr appointment?
Ran into this situation last week. I carry my meds in a plastic bag. I also put my gun in there as well - at the time a jframe. Since I have control over where I put the bag (always next to me) I hand the meds which are in a large plastic container to who ever needs to check on my current prescriptions.

If I thought that I could not control placement of the bag I would leave gun in the car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts