Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't heard anyone mention this yet.....so I thought I'd share.

I just picked up the new G2C today....and began comparing it with my PT111 G2 and found something interesting. The frame rails (and corresponding slide grooves) are a few thousandths of an inch thicker/larger on the G2C. Not a lot....but just enough that the PT 111 G2 slide will not fit onto the newer frame. The new slide, however, WILL fit and function on the older frame....

The G2C is in black....and the PT111 G2 is in tan:

IMG_1908.JPG

I'm not even sure if you can SEE the difference here....but it's sure there. I'm wondering if that was done on purpose....or if it's just variations on tolerances. Otherwise, minus the absence of the safety lock) the slides are identical.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if they switched to the 40 cal frame and slide, to reduce cost of having two different versions?

My 40 slide fits the 9mm frame, but the 9mm slide doesn't fit the 40 frame.
That may very well be. I was kind of hoping to be able to interchange them (from the black frame to the tan frame), but it was not meant to be!

Reactions: Bellows1

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
They do look pretty close. Did you actually mic it or use a caliper on it?

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
what is the difference between the G2C and the PT111/G2?
thank you.
Other than what Paulky mentioned above, the only difference between the two is that the G2C does not have the Taurus Security System. Other than that, they are identical.

·
Registered
333 Posts
what is the difference between the G2C and the PT111/G2?
thank you.
The frame is pretty much the same but the grips seems more abrasive/grippy than my 111. The markings overall are simplified on the grip and slide and the barrel has a different/ dull finish on it.
The trigger seems beefier than on the 111 as well. The G2C is also DAO.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Can you check to see if they changed the guide rod on this updated version? Is it plastic, or steel? My 9 is plastic, my 40 is steel.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They do look pretty close. Did you actually mic it or use a caliper on it?
I did try......but the rails are set too low in the frame for my caliper to fit around them. Here are a couple more photos if it helps at all. You can clearly see that the G2 rails are thicker....and the front rail appears to be slightly shorter.....where the rear rail is slightly longer......

IMG_1920.JPG

IMG_1921.JPG

You can REALLY notice the difference in the rear rails.

As for the guide rods, I'm using the Lakeline recoil system in both pistols.....so I'm pretty sure the're both the same. Also, notice that the G2 utilizes roll pins rather than solid pins in the frame.....

....all very interesting.

Reactions: Bellows1

·
Registered
548 Posts
Getting rid of that terrible TSS, IMO, was the BEST thing they ever did as it causes the trigger to catch halfway through the pull. It's that way on my PT111 & PT709 so I have to imagine it is probably also that way on other semi-autos that have it mounted in the same place.

BTW, a guy made a Youtube video on polishing the trigger bar that also explains how to sand it down to keep it from catching.

I wonder if Taurus plans on coming out with a TSS-removed retrofit for PT111s, PT709s, etc to make them like their replacements?

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Interesting, I just measured mine.

The 9mm front rails are .065-.067 thick and .578 long, while the .40 cal is .08-.082 thick and. 545 long.

The rears are the same thickness as the fronts, and the same lengths, about .300 long.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting, I just measured mine.

The 9mm front rails are .065-.067 thick and .578 long, while the .40 cal is .08-.082 thick and. 545 long.

The rears are the same thickness as the fronts, and the same lengths, about .300 long.

Perhaps, like what was mentioned, they moved everything up to the .40 specs to save time, money, and effort.

I'm just amazed nobody else is talking about it or has even mentioned it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sounds to me like the g2c has some good improvements over the pt111 g2.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sounds to me like the g2c has some good improvements over the pt111 g2.
Except the DAO part. And the one year warranty to the original owner only vs. the lifetime warranty for the PT111 G2.

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
We definitely need to make an effort to make sure that people understand that the trigger on the g2c acts the same as the pt111 g2 except for the removal of the TSS system!!!!!! Disinformation is bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts