Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a letter from Rossi regarding one of my 462s. It seems that the 462 has a problem that has caused a recall and they want me to send the affected gun back for corrective action. They state that I contacted them in August of 2018 and they are just now sending me a letter with a shipping label. The thing is, I didn't contact them. I just looked up the serial number for the affected gun. So, now I am really scratching my head about this. I made a decision not to return the gun because of all the issues that Taurus has had lately and I don't trust them to return my gun. The reason I don't want to return the gun is that it is a gloss blued unit and I don't want to lose the gun. It is one of my favorites. The other thing is, this issue seems to be related to possible discharge due to dropping the gun. I am not worried about that as I don't drop my guns while shooting them so It ain't going back

·
Registered
17,412 Posts
Keep the gun.
Do not send it to them.
Enjoy shooting it.
Have a good day.
That is all..................;)

Reactions: Sekol and kruizer

·
Registered
810 Posts
Your gun, your choice.

Taurus/Rossi responded to a potential safety issue, duly warned owners about it and set up a process to correct the issue on their dime. Seems to me like a rational response on their part.

My prepaid Fedex label arrived in the mail this Friday afternoon and I shipped my 461 back to them yesterday morning without a moment's hesitation. Lacking psychic powers I have NO idea how well they will resolve this specific recall nor how long before my firearm is returned to me. The ball is now in their court, as sports folks say - lol, and I will post any updates as I become aware of them.

My gun, my choice.

Reactions: Plinked

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
I don't think there's anyone who intends to drop their weapon. But stuff happens. Your choice. Be prepared to accept the consequences of either choice.

·
Registered
14,171 Posts
I hear what your saying, if Rossi would come out and notify the public that they have a fix to the problem, maybe more people would be willing to send in their pistol.

However, at this point it looks to be more of a surrender your revolver and we will see what the future holds.

Could there be a hidden agenda here for gun confiscation from an under lying entity....Just thinking out loud.

Now, if Rossi has posted a link somewhere that there is a fix to the problem and assure owners that their revolvers will be returned property repaired please let me know. And point me to the article addressing this point.

·
Registered
810 Posts
On a selfish personal note, I reckon the fewer owners who send in their handguns under this recall, the quicker mine will get fixed and returned, so I got that going for me...which is nice.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Taurus sent me an e-mail this afternoon. In part it reads:

"Date Received: 04/02/2019
Model: R46102
Dear Customer,
We are in receipt of your merchandise.
Processing should take approximately 12 weeks from the date of receipt."

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Interesting, Kruizer. Could you possibly have entered the info in the website form and forgotten about it? Wouldn't blame you if you did, as I filled out the online form last year...and forgot about it until you started this thread.

I haven't yet received a letter. I think I actually have two guns affected by this recall. Will I send them in? I don't know. I sent a Heritage .357 in for repairs to the Taurus facility twice, and had no issues and got it back quick both times. Could be the Rossi repair dept. doesn't have the problems that the Taurus repair dept. has...or maybe it does. I'll think on it.

·
Registered
810 Posts
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it. (or should I say - don't return it to them ) "

I can appreciate and respect the sentiment, especially from those who have been burned by Taurus service in the past. I'm a relative newbie (3 different Taurus guns) and am viewing this recall as an "It IS broke, so THEY can bloody well fix it." - lol

It's not my primary CCW handgun by any stretch, so I can afford to let it take however long it takes to get it back.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Okay, I got my letter yesterday. I was under the impression that entering my serial numbers (two different guns) on the Rossi website last year had started the recall process for my guns, but it hadn't (judging from the wording of the letter. These were just kind of form letters.) It looks like I now have to officially get my guns registered in the system for repair...8 or 9 months later. Doesn't seem real efficient, and doesn't encourage me that the turn around time will be reasonable.

I'm inclined to keep them as is since I've had no problems...and since I rarely shoot them and never use them for EDC. The implied problem with the guns is strange. Rossi wants them for, "inspection, repair if necessary, certification and cleaning...."

Pretty vague. By contrast, Ruger's (still) famous recall of Blackhawks decades ago spelled out very clearly what the problem was, what the fix was and how anyone could easily send their gun in without much hassle. I guess since the Rossi thing is a class action lawsuit, they have to do it this way. I don't know...just guessing.

What's with the "repair, if necessary"??? I'm thinking that rather than a design flaw, it was a machining or quality control problem, so some of the guns are ok, but others aren't. Since these guns may be inherited by my children in the distant future, I think the prudent thing to do is keep copies of the letters I received today with the guns from here on out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I decided not to buy a nice used Rossi because of this. I'd probably want to wait until a few came back to see what they did before sending them one.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Brings back bitter memories. I lost a 24/7 and 3 Millennium pistols because of the Taurus class action. The 24/7 and two of the Millennium pistols were 45 acp, and the third Millennium was a 380. I just knew if I sent them in I would never see them again and there was no replacement pistols in 380 or 45. That was the demise of my Tauri, even the ones that were not part of the class action. They were all traded and replaced with KAHR and Ruger handguns.

Taurus finally got my attention again with the USA made TX22 and the announcement of a manufacturing plant in Georgia being announced.

As to why I got rid of my class action Tauri and replace them with KAHR (the Millenniums) and the Ruger American (24/7), it was because of liability. I don’t drop my pistols either, I certainly don’t intend to, but if I did, and somebody got hurt or worse, knowing the pistols had a problem and refusing to address it would not look too good on my part.

·
Premium Member
11,265 Posts
The fact of the matter is that any mechanical device will malfunction. Firearms manufacturers will drop test their firearms and declare them safe, but the one test no one thought to do will always get them sued down the road. Rossi revolvers are like the old S&W and Colt double actions from decades past. If you drop them, at some point, they WILL discharge. That's something I know before I buy, and I'm willing to take responsibility for my use of that firearm. Accidents happen and will kill you, when they do. If you can't handle that you need to stay in the bed in your Mom's house, because walking outside may lead to your death.

Without any specifics, it's a lawyer generated problem, I wouldn't send in anything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts