Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, got a quick question. I just got a new 24-7 Pro in 9mm from the factory after my original developed a crack in the slide. After three times sending it back (I LOVE my dealer for covering the shipping), they sent me a new one. Here's a couple of things I'm wondering about:

1) Both pistols have a weird quirk. With a partially or fully loaded magazine, if it's slapped in with a semi-forceful shove, the slide will automatically go forward without me having to press the slide release. Does this happen to anyone else?

2) I noticed while looking at the slide, there is a small U-cut notch in the metal that is between where the barrel exits and the guide rod exits, if you can imagine what I'm talking about. My dealer says this is true with all the 24-7's. He disassembled all his just to make sure. This is where the slide cracked on my original. Also, I've owned or shot just about every modern handgun ever made. Usually, that part of the slide where the U-cut is is MUCH thicker than on the 24-7. What gives?

I got about 900 rounds through my first 24-7 before the slide cracked. So far, the second one mimics everything about the first one. I love the gun to death, it was made for my hand and Hornady TAPs. I'm just wondering what the forum has to say.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There doesn't appear to be any room for a "u shaped notch" in my .45. The barrel and guide rod are really close together. With just a thin piece of metal between them. I also was puzzled at first about your first point. I love it. Any steps you can avoid during the reload process is a good thing. My 24/7 pro is a great pistol. I've shot over 1200 rnds through it. I love it. I shoot mostly 185 grn. jhp, but also alot of 230 grn fmj. I had a problem with one of the mags. A week spring. But I replaced it. I've never had any gun related failures to feed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not knocking the gun at all, just to be clear. I love it too. When I called the Taurus rep on the first gun over point one, that's exactly what I told him. It does make for a quicker reload. I can change magazines quicker on that gun and be back in the fight earlier than I can on any other gun I own. It's not a problem, it's more of a nitpick because I haven't ever owned another handgun that did that.

Thanks for pointing out that your barrel and guide rod are very close together on your .45. Because of this, the metal that separates them is very thin, like you mentioned. This is where my slide cracked on my original 24/7. Again, I've never owned a handgun where the metal was that thin in that particular area. I was just wondering why they did that.

On another note, thank you for pointing out that the .45 doesn't have this cutout. Just to clarify, let me make some attempt to describe what I'm talking about. On that "thin piece of metal," a small portion has been cut out on both of my guns, probably for the sake of tolerances. Now that I know the .45 doesn't have it, I'd like to know if other 9 mils or .40's do.

By the way ares, does you slide automatically go forward when a half or full mag is slapped in? Thanks for the help!

Again, not trying to bash here.

BadAndy, thanks for the reply. Mine does it only when there are rounds in the magazine and it's slapped in. Just a simple insert won't do it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome, so I know it's not just my gun. Just got back from the range today, and I'm trying to figure out how many rounds I've got through...I think the best estimate is about 400, with only two light primer strikes. I don't really count those as failures, because all I have to do is pull the trigger again. Not hard huh? So at this count, the thing is ticking like a fine Swiss watch. I just ordered 1,000 more rounds in, and hope to find some range time soon. We'll see how this torture test goes. I'll keep you guys posted.

By the way, we now know the .45's don't have the notch in the slide. Can I get any word from the .40 and 9mm 24/7 owners?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts