1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
There is a reason they have stuck around longer than I am old.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Thanks for this. I've been looking at add another rifle to my collection. Either a .357 lever action and its attendant economy (I have several revolvers), or an AR-type and the you-can-never-have-enough-ammo mentality that goes with it. I'm leaning to the former...

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I let a Winchester 94 in 30-30 go to pick up a Marlin 1894CB in .357.

I probably shoot the Marlin 10 times as much in a couple months as I did the Winchester in a decade.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Registered
7,697 Posts
I shot American Eagle 158-gr JSPs from my 1894C across a chrono and they were north of 1900 fps. While the energy doesn't equal a 30-30, it comes within hailing distance. The .38 Spl/.357 Mag both benefit far more from a longer barrel than does 9mm or virtually any other defensive handgun round.

·
Super Moderator
36,055 Posts
Thanks DRE...thanks a LOT. I thought that I had sublimated that desire (lust) but here ya go...scratching the scab off that wound. :D

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
I have said this many times before, and I will say it again:

The .357 Magnum cartridge is the most versatile cartridge ever designed for guns.

As the article states, you can load it for anything from small game up to bear, and birds with shot shells. Not to mention what it can do from a revolver.
And it is one of the easiest calibers to reload.

Quite a versatile round.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
I bought my 92 Rossi in .357 back in the 80s. First 10 rounds over my chronograph showed me this is one potent load in a rifle! I've since improved a little on those loads with Li'l Gun (powder) I push 'em a little faster and lowered the pressure which extends brass life in the little rifle. I have other rifles I'd rather actually HUNT with, but this little rifle is very handy in the woods, a lot handier than my AR and shoots a much bigger bullet to about the same energy levels as .223.

Currently, my carbine is out in the truck riding behind the seat. It's easy to get out into action if I see pigs crossing the road and it's got the power to deal with 'em out to 100 yards. For some uses, yes, I've been sold on this little carbine for three decades, going on four. I have taken a deer at 80 yards with it, didn't go far, just a hand cast gas checked Lee bullet that weighs 165 grains with gas check installed. It's a favorite bullet of mine, quite accurate, and the big, wide meplat leaves a heck of a wound channel with total penetration.

I load very light, 2.3 grains Bullseye under a 105 grain cast SWC in .38 brass, load for small game. I've taken squirrel with it. It's 1.5" accurate at 25 yards which doesn't challenge any of my .22s, but it's accurate enough for small game like squirrel and rabbit to that range and it's a fun plinker load.

I've taken hogs with the very same 165 Lee SWC load out of my 6.5" Blackhawk revolver, too. I've been enamored with the caliber since I first started loading it in the 70s and my affection for it has only gotten better with use. Though I'll reach for my .308 to go sit in my deer stand, prefer the optics, my little rifle still has its place. To 100 yards, it'll do anything a .30-30 will do.

And, besides, it's some good eye candy. :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
I need to mention the handiness of this rifle. Wrap your hand around the little receiver and it balances perfectly. I have a sling on mine, but don't really use it THAT much. I took the sling off to put behind my truck's seat, just something to get tangled up in jacks and air pumps and such when I might need the gun. :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Oh my! What have you done?

For many years I have had a love affair with the Henry Big Boy in .357. The affair was never consummated but when they brought out the all-weather version my self control nearly faltered and cracked. I'm afraid to tell my wife but I have dreams of it when I'm asleep at night. I know that if I ever run across one in a gun store I won't have the will power to resist, it's coming home with me. It's not that I need another gun, not even this particular gun, but the force is strong with this one.

And now they have a side gate lever action but not in .357 … yet.

·
Premium Member
13,097 Posts
There's something very American about a levergun!

·
Super Moderator
19,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I bought my 92 Rossi in .357 back in the 80s. First 10 rounds over my chronograph showed me this is one potent load in a rifle! I've since improved a little on those loads with Li'l Gun (powder) I push 'em a little faster and lowered the pressure which extends brass life in the little rifle. I have other rifles I'd rather actually HUNT with, but this little rifle is very handy in the woods, a lot handier than my AR and shoots a much bigger bullet to about the same energy levels as .223.

Currently, my carbine is out in the truck riding behind the seat. It's easy to get out into action if I see pigs crossing the road and it's got the power to deal with 'em out to 100 yards. For some uses, yes, I've been sold on this little carbine for three decades, going on four. I have taken a deer at 80 yards with it, didn't go far, just a hand cast gas checked Lee bullet that weighs 165 grains with gas check installed. It's a favorite bullet of mine, quite accurate, and the big, wide meplat leaves a heck of a wound channel with total penetration.

I load very light, 2.3 grains Bullseye under a 105 grain cast SWC in .38 brass, load for small game. I've taken squirrel with it. It's 1.5" accurate at 25 yards which doesn't challenge any of my .22s, but it's accurate enough for small game like squirrel and rabbit to that range and it's a fun plinker load.

I've taken hogs with the very same 165 Lee SWC load out of my 6.5" Blackhawk revolver, too. I've been enamored with the caliber since I first started loading it in the 70s and my affection for it has only gotten better with use. Though I'll reach for my .308 to go sit in my deer stand, prefer the optics, my little rifle still has its place. To 100 yards, it'll do anything a .30-30 will do.

And, besides, it's some good eye candy. :D

Dude, you two need to get a room . .

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
Pair that with a good .357 Magnum revolver, and you have the perfect Stuff HTF loadout. 2 guns, one ammo. After getting used to the buckhorn sight, I can ring the 100yd gong all day, and feels like I'm shooting a .22 off my shoulder.

·
Super Moderator
35,081 Posts
I've got 5 .357 handguns, two of which are single actions. But, I don't do end of the world anymore as a reason to own guns. WHY? Well, if the end times come, I strive to be good with the Lord, but beyond that, if I can't get my chemo, I'll die anyway sooner rather than later and, well, it ain't worth taking a life for another 3 months of life.

Besides, I have high cap 9s and an M4. :rofl: The revolvers do go well with a .357 lever gun, though, especially my two Blackhawks. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts