Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A great time and a catastrophic failure...

took my 22 yr old son (the one who is soon to be a USAF engineering officer) and the Mosin 7.62x54r, the Marlin 30-30 lever action, the savage axis .223 bolt action and the CMMG AR 5.56 nato.

the range has targets at 100 and 200 and steel at 350, 400 and 465 yards. The small shed you shoot out of is well equipped and well lit. $20 per person for 4 hours of shooting! (We only lasted just under 3 hrs)

If you look to the left and right of the big tree at the bottom of the hill... You'll see the 465 target and 400 hanging steel plates on the right and the 350 plates on the left. The 100 and 200 yard targets are on the right side.

Pistol range on the property also...

heres some pics of the shed and us shooting

and then it happened... (While my son was shooting the AR)

1) light primer strike on the AR... Hmmm... That's never happened in 9 months since purchase.... So waited a minute, ejected the round (saw it was unfired) chambered another... Put the round in the dud bucket (in two inches of motor oil)
2) shot that round... (It went bang) and then he pulled the trigger again to fire what we thought would be the next round (not noticing that round that we had just fired had never ejected)... Thought it was a light primer stike since there was no bang... Waited a minute again
3) manually cycled that round out... (And noticed it had already been fired).... And a new round into chamber. Hmmm.... Failure to eject... Never happened before with this gun
4) thinking all of above was just cycling or light primer problem with the cheap AE .223 ammo we were shooting... My son proceeded to pull the trigger again
5) it went bang... But then I heard him say "holy cow... What just happened?"
6) the bolt had catastrophically broken in half (see pics) and an unfired round was squished /jammed between those two pieces
7) he dropped the mag and out dropped the squished round (the projectile had been pushed all the way into the brass)
8 ) he put the gun on safe...
9) we examined the squished round (still full of powder which I poured out on ground) and that round had never been stuck by a firing pin (we believe that round was just stripped from the mag and squished)
10) we believe the last fired round is still in the chamber

holy mackerel... Glad no one was injured

back to cmmg this whole rifle will go

funny... This is the most expensive gun I've ever purchased and the only one to fail so severely

·
Super Moderator
26,857 Posts
I think that classifies as a holy cow (or worse) moment. Glad you are both OK!

Reactions: Panda

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Now that could had been one of those OH #@$& moments with greater problems. So glad the two of you escaped any injury.

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Dang, that could have been a lot worse. Glad you guys are okay!

·
Registered
24,498 Posts
That doesn't look good at all. Glad you all are OK.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Glad y'all are OK. Is that the back of the bolt that split like that?

·
Super Moderator
13,773 Posts
Wow. My range day was much quieter, thank you very much. I'm glad no one was injured. Please, do let us know what you find out as to the cause. Information like that can only help the rest of us.

Reactions: Sekol

·
5,686 Posts
Wow!! Glad no one was hurt or worse. Looks like a really nice range and you had a good time otherwise. Thanks for sharing!

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yep... The bcg split in half... And yes... A few clues in the three rounds leading up to the catastrophic failure due to presumed metallurgical failure

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
So is it still lodged in the gun with a possible live round in the barrel?

That I would think would be the worst possible case.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So is it still lodged in the gun with a possible live round in the barrel?

That I would think would be the worst possible case.
we are absolutely positive the last time the trigger was pulled it went 'bang'... But of course it could have cycled a new round in AND also cycled that squished round between the bolt pieces .... So we are treating the firearm according

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Holy cow- just like everyone else has mentioned, we're sooooo glad that you two are OK. As the old proverb recommends, get back up on that horse! If I can be so bold as to recommend another trip to that beautiful range with your son for a nice range session, and soon! It'll help clear the collywobbles from your memories!

Reactions: chicagotrauma
1 - 20 of 33 Posts