Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
I get why she's trying to say: " These days I think that, given the right loads and circumstances, .22WMR can be rather better."
Certainly a longer barreled pistol chambered in 22WMR will out penetrate a micro 380. She doesn't really get into such comparisons and paints with a broad brush.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Interesting yes but i'm still in the camp of shot placement is key in whatever caliber you carry.
Bingo! A vital organ hit with a .22WMR is a lot better than a wing shot with a .454 Casull. However, both would certainly hurt when they hit you.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Note that her gel pic does not show penetration for the .22 WMR. Maybe it bounced off? Ok, that's just sarcasm. Or is it...?

And she ignored the evolution of defense bullets and their ballistics. So while her findings are supported by her very narrow data, discounting any caliber based on them is ill-advised. And, as stated above by ICUKev and Desperado, well-placed shots into vital areas will always carry the day, regardless of bullet caliber.

·
Super Moderator
35,329 Posts
Technology has improved the 22 WMR for defensive use. Hornady makes a Critical Defense round in 22 WMR.

That's what I carry in my Black Widow to back up a semi auto on my belt when I carry a semi auto. Today, I've been .45ing it with my PT145 with the Black Widow backing it up. :D The gun is very light and easy to pocket carry. I could carry my .38 as usual, but why add a few extra ounces and bulk when I have an 11 round .45 and a spare mag on my belt? This is my logic such as it is, anyway. :laugh:

The Black Widow has Novak sights on it and will put 5 rounds into 3.5" at 25 yards and shoots to POA. It's not as easy to shoot well or point shoot as my .38, but if I get to that point of needing back up, I'll hopefully be behind cover. I figure, though, the chance of it coming to that point is probably less than winning millions on a power ball lotto. :rofl: But, I carry it for the comfort of knowing I have a back up. I don't expect to hit the lotto when I buy a ticket, but the thought sure is comforting. :D

Reactions: whichfinger

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Isn't the Kel Tec PMR-30 one of the few semi-auto's chambered in .22WMR? Anybody ever shot one?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
.22WMR is a fine round which will most certainly get the job done in a pinch, but to say that it's superior to .380 ACP out of a pistol with similar barrel lengths is objectively wrong. Out of shorter, average pistol-length barrels, .22WMR isn't going to match the .380 ACP, much less surpass it in terms of energy, and a rimfire cartridge such as .22WMR is less reliable than a centerfire cartridge such as .380 ACP.

I'm trying to stay out of caliber wars these days, but unfortunately when arguments this demonstrably false are made, I just can't help myself. If you don't like .380 ACP, then fine, but if you're going to attempt to justify your personal bias against the cartridge, then at least make the average, "Why carry a .380 when you can carry a 9mm?" argument, it's more tangible and less easy to make an objective counter-argument against.

·
Super Moderator
35,329 Posts
The PM30 Kel Tec has its detractors. Some call it a jammamatic. That's just rumor far as I'm concerned, but if I really wanted one, I'd research it first. I've got the Black Widow because it fills a niche for me. If I could carry a PM30, I can carry my PT145, my 605 Poly, or my Kel Tec P11 9mm....or my Ruger P85 or P90 for that matter. But, for folks with an arthritis problem, it could be the answer. :D It certainly doesn't lack firepower, 30 rounds per mag. :D

·
Registered
210 Posts
The PM30 Kel Tec has its detractors. Some call it a jammamatic. That's just rumor far as I'm concerned, but if I really wanted one, I'd research it first. I've got the Black Widow because it fills a niche for me. If I could carry a PM30, I can carry my PT145, my 605 Poly, or my Kel Tec P11 9mm....or my Ruger P85 or P90 for that matter. But, for folks with an arthritis problem, it could be the answer. :D It certainly doesn't lack firepower, 30 rounds per mag. :D
Like you, I've never owned one but have witnessed the KelTec pistol at the local range. He dumped 2 magazines into the berm. Afterwards we discussed it, as an owner, he thought it was fun and worth the money but overpriced. It is ammunition particular for smooth operation.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bingo! A vital organ hit with a .22WMR is a lot better than a wing shot with a .454 Casull. However, both would certainly hurt when they hit you.
Don't forgot that a 454 Casull is so powerful that it will sever that wing causing near instant exsanguination. Back in reality, the placement is key if it reaches the organs. Which is why the 5.7 and 380 are good carry rounds, they penetrate deep enough to puncture organs without exiting the body to hit bystanders.

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
I get why she's trying to say: " These days I think that, given the right loads and circumstances, .22WMR can be rather better."
Certainly a longer barreled pistol chambered in 22WMR will out penetrate a micro 380. She doesn't really get into such comparisons and paints with a broad brush.

Her comment about the 22WMR being 'rather better' was in comparison to a 5.7, not a .380. Her rationale was that the 5.7's 'pointy spitzer bullet' profile caused it to yaw and stopped penetration, while the 22WMR (not shown in the article's gelatin) had a bullet profile that allowed more efficient penetration.

I thought it was interesting that she found a picture that showed 9, .40, 38 spl and .45 all penetrating to almost exactly the same depth in the same gel block.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
I wish someone made a concealable 22WMR semi-auto pistol.. Like maybe a 3 to 3.5" barrel with 10 to 15 round capacity...

Reactions: chefduane

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The biggest argument against it is the "R" in WMR. Rimfires will always be a crap shoot when it comes to reliably going BANG. Even if the odds are only one in 1000 of getting a dud, what if that one happens to be the next one up in a critical situation? Sure, if you have revolver you can pull the trigger again, but by that time the miscreant is on top of you. And if you have a semi-auto, good luck finding the time to clear it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts