1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
8,801 Posts
Doesn't make sense that he did not create any berms, traps or backstops on his range (if the inspectors words are truth). I'm no lawyer, but setting up a range with no safety components, he deserved to get shutdown. It's one thing to be plinking with pistols at 25 yards or so at a downward angle on your own land, but a 1000 yds. range open to the public or even a privileged few, I would think his liability insurance would be astronomical - if he even has any. There has to be more to this story than what was in the article. If this is a test case, it would be how to design an unsafe shooting range IMHO.

Reactions: loudviking

·
Registered
29,777 Posts
It will be interesting to see the specifics. I hope the range wins. It sounds like there are only 20 members there and they don't shoot much. It also sounds like he wants to add things like berms but can't. If safety was really the issue (and in my personal opinion it's not the real issue) then why wouldn't they at least let him work on it even though they can't operate it?

I couldn't read the attached article, since I don't have a login, but I found stuff about it elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
1000 yards on only 100 acres is not realistic. There is no amount of berm to contain stray rounds firing at that distance.

He should focus on 7 - 300 yds and doze up a big azz berm for bullet and sound containment.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
The lack of a berm is a problem for me, otherwise he should be able to do with his land however he wishes.

·
Supporting Moderator
5,350 Posts
No berm, no shooting.....
Should have done that in the first place.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts