Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I got to digging around in my favorite gunstore's neglected stock and found these. I don't know if they're collectable or not, but I'd like to use them. He has a few boxes of both the shells and the bullets so I can put some back as collector's items. The boxes are in decent shape as are the instruction sheets inside.

This is what is needed to load these. The bullet is entirely primer-driven. Velocity is supposed to be approximately 500fps and can cause bodily harm out to 25yds.

The bullet is on the left and the case is on the right. A primer is first inserted into the case, then the bullet, which is just a plastic cylinder with a small hole for gas expansion, is seated on top. No tools are required.

Here are some specifics on the back of the box, along with the standard warnings.

I dunno. I've heard of this stuff and thought it was in the same sentence as "collectable." Regardless, I'm going to load a few.

If they're no longer making this, it's a shame. It, and a M10 Smith & Wesson, would be perfect for introducing new shooters to the sport.

Josh <><

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
I had some of the speer stuff a while back. When the wife was at work and I was home with the house to myself, I got a big box, stuffed the back with news papers, and put a silhouette on the front and practiced in the house defensive shooting. It was great! :D I may still have some of 'em somewhere, but I don't know where. Go to http://www.midwayusa.com . If it's still made, they'll list it. That's where I'm sure I bought mine from.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Here is a thought, something I read years back for indoor basement practice ammo for revolvers. Take a 1/2" thick sheet of wax, can be purchased at craft shops to make candles out of, and press a primed case (magnum primers) down into the wax cutting and seating a wax bullet. Hang target in fromt of concrete wall, load up your WAX bullets and enjoy!! No bouncing bullets, not much noise and the bullets can be recovered remelted and reused!!!
I have never tried this as until recently didn't own a revolver, but I did read about it in a respected gun mag, so I might have to try it out.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This brought back some memories!.....many years ago back in the UK when we could still own handguns I got hold of a box of these plastic CCI practise rounds .n .38 calibre.

I loaded the brass up with a standard small pistol primer, pressed the plastic bullets in by hand and then needed a target!......in our living room we had some heavy weight curtains......that will do I thought!.....so I drew the curtains.....this not only gave me a back stop and a target but it would stop the neighbours seeing what I was up too as well!

I did not imagine these rounds to have much power, after all it was just a primer in there!........... and I had seen heavy weight hanging cloth's used to stop hard thrown ball's at a coconut shy.....so it would be OK wouldn't it?...........

I was stood about 20 feet from the curtain and let off a couple of rounds........s'funny......where did those very neatly cut holes of light come from?..........

Those plastic bullets had cut through those curtains like a hot knife through butter......luckily we had really strong, tough and thick double glazed windows or I reckon there would've been holes in the glass as well!...........I was young and stupid back then .....I am still stupid but a whole lot older now....so be careful how and where you use those collectables...........but the up side is they are re-usuable so if you can collect the bullets you can have hours of fun for just the price of a packet of primers.

Safe shooting

Limey

·
Registered
12 Posts
Years ago I shot these indoors out of my S&W model 19 when nobody else was home. I cut a piece of carpeting to fit the bottom of a 3# coffee can and just glued target dots to the plastic covers for targets. The can would capture the plastic bullets and the carpeting would keep them from breaking or deforming.

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
Rigged up a bullet trap in the house. I wound up using the plastic bullets in brass cases. Seems easier. Anyway, it made for safe indoor senarios like shooting close to the body with the weak hand out fending off the attacker. Even if you screwed up and shot your hand, no real biggy other than a red mark, though I managed not to. LOL

·
Registered
178 Posts
Josh, I don't know if they are collector items or not, but I bought a box of the same ammo only in .44 just last month. They are really fun to shoot, they will hit considerably lower than regular ammo. They sound like a cap gun on steroids, you may want to wear earplugs too. Frank

·
Super Moderator
21,442 Posts
I shot these out of a 38 and the large primers can swell and jam you gun if its a wheel gun. I shot it a bunch of times before this happened then it jamed the cylinder so bad I had to work on it for awhile before I could break it free I would use caution. It was fun shooting in my basement but not fun when it jamed my gun solid, this was back in the early 80's I'd hang onto them and see if they ever become collector items.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've used 357 mag casing, loaded with normal amount of powder for 38 load, filled full of #8 birdshot, topped it off with some candle wax, pressing it in good a firm with screw driver, worked great for me, could toss pop can in the air and hit it 200 times before it hit the ground. Do it yourself snake loads.

I don't know how durable they would be as I shot them pretty quickly, but mabe a dab of epoxy or hot melt glue would work better. Could cut some wads out of thin carboard and then use those above & below shot then just a dab of glue to hold closed. I wonder if 357 max cases would fit into 357 mag cylinder for a larger load of shot? I bet gas checks, though I don't have any and have used any would work well for that too.

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
I never saw a reason for shot shells. I've killed many a snake with a bullet, just shoot the head off. Then, too, I do have this contender barrel that shoots .410. It's pretty neat, even shot some informal trap with it, but you gotta get on target within 20 yards. LOL It's far more effective than the Judge, however, and even have taken squirrel out to past 20 yards with it. The choke not only chokes, but stops the rotation of the shot cup. Gives it decent range. Take the choke off and it shoots .44 magnum level .45 Colt handloads. Pretty versatile field gun and the only shot/handgun load I mess with.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've seen the Speer capsulas, but too cheap to buy them.

I have a Contender as well, 357 max for deer hunting, one of my Brother in law has the 45/410 barrel but doesn't use it, I'd buy it from him, but he thinks everything he owns is made of gold.

I love the contender for deer hunting, but otherwise don't shoot it much, repeaters are more fun plinking, but if I want to hit something, put the crosshairs on it and the contender will hit it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
38spl shot shells

If you have a .410 then you already have a good snake gun. But many people start out with a 38spl/357 and it's easily adapted to a snake gun with shot shells. Walking in the woods with the first two as snake loads, next two 125gr HP, and the last 1,2,or 3 as 158gr solids should cover the work load of this hiking gun.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have heard these mentioned before by and man who wanted to sell me his reloading equipment, said that he used to use to target practise in his house>

·
Registered
73 Posts
This is way too cool looking! Next paycheck I'm getting some of the cases and projectiles for my guns! I already shoot my pellet guns in the house (basement, away from the cats :rolleyes: ) I'll bet my wife would like these too.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Interesting 38spl Ammuntion... Plastic / Rubber

I've used both the plastic and the rubber bullets and like the rubber better because they don't deform if they hit a hard object.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=713633
When using the rubber bullets you must drill out the flash hole and I use a file to cut a slot in the base so I know it's modified brass. Also, after the primer fires it pushs itself out of the primer pocket which can cause the cylinder to bind. (Normally after the primer fires and jumps out of the pocket, the powder ignites and as its pushing the bullet out the barrel it also pushs the brass backwards and reseats the primer.)
They both work fine and are alot of fun to shoot but these are a couple of quirks I've learned to deal with.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Joshua M Smith and all. I too have used these and they are fun. One thing no one has mentioned as yet. It is very important to use these in a well ventilated area. The primers give off gases that are bad for your health. I fixed up a room in the basement of a friends house and installed a 100 cfm exhaust fan at the firing line. This drew out the smoke and gases so we wouldn't be affected. We have been using this set up for 2 years and it's great. Many non-shooters have been introdced to shooting at my friends little "indoor range" and have had fun. Most of the posts concerning the power that these little projectiles posess are TRUE.Be carefull and treat them as regular ammo. They can cut the skin or "Shoot you eye out" BeeGee

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had a set of these 25 years ago. They are still available so there can't be any collector's value.

They worked OK, but in the end they weren't very accurate, and quickly got less accurate when they got torn up by the rifling and bouncing around hitting things.

I think you are better served dry firing when you can't shoot real ammo.

Also, don't most primers still contain lead (lead styphnate?) You would want to use lead free primers when practicing indoors with these and always wash your hands when handling them otherwise.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts