Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have my Father in Law's Rossi 951, but he passed and no one knows for sure when he bought it.

It is a 3" model, with the 'diamondback'-type barrel, and a serial number that starts E030xxx.

Under the grips on one side is a faint "I" and a star or hardness test.
Under the grips on the other side are the following four numbers, with the spacing approximately as follows: " 9 5 95".

I don't know if this means it is a May 9th 1995 pistol, or if that is just an assembly mark [I assume Brazil uses european conventions of Day/Month/Year- unlike here where that would be Sept 5 1995].

Any tips?

One person said about 1988, but I wasn't sure 'why'- and I am all about 'why'. I don't like to be told 'turn left here' [hate GPS], but want to know why that is right route- which means I prefer paper maps.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello!
The 3-inch barrel version is the Model 95, not 951 (that has 4-inch barrel).

The asterisk/star is an erasing mark used to netralize mmismarked letters or numbers.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Erick, Thank you!

The interarms catalog I saw listed 951 and it came with 3 or 4" barrels. But, it was not the code on the box.

The mark on the frame [under grip] of "9 5 95" is the same mark on the crane. At first I was thinking date. Then, in both frame and crane, I was thinking assembly mark.

Now, I am wondering if it is just a 'stutter' as they added the model number: Model 95.

Any other tips/insight from the land of Rossi? [PS- if you have any knowledge about Interarms-era Rossi model 92 carbines, I'd love to hear it. I have one that I think is from between 1980 and 1983, but I'd like to narrow that down if I can. PM me on that, so we don't take this thread sideways.]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Erick, Thank you!

The interarms catalog I saw listed 951 and it came with 3 or 4" barrels. But, it was not the code on the box.

The mark on the frame [under grip] of "9 5 95" is the same mark on the crane. At first I was thinking date. Then, in both frame and crane, I was thinking assembly mark.

Now, I am wondering if it is just a 'stutter' as they added the model number: Model 95.

Any other tips/insight from the land of Rossi? [PS- if you have any knowledge about Interarms-era Rossi model 92 carbines, I'd love to hear it. I have one that I think is from between 1980 and 1983, but I'd like to narrow that down if I can. PM me on that, so we don't take this thread sideways.]
I´m on duty now. But I can tell you some information.

Earlier Rossi 92 carbines (the model codes was different for Brazilian market) the serial number was in front of the lever/trigger guard. In the beginning of 80´s, serial number changed to the right side of receiver.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! Erick,

I'll check it out next time I'm at the local gun shop.

Where I am at, used guns have to sit for 30 days at the LGS before they can sell it to someone else, to ensure it isn't stolen, etc.

I won't be able to officially buy it [and wait 11 more days to take it home] until the 9th of Sept.

I'll 'visit' it next week and check it out. My receipt shows a serial number of K0225xx, but I don't remember where it was located.

I know mine is a 20" barrel, with no 'puma' medallion. I don't remember if it is marked M92, or SRC92, or what the marking is- other than 92.

Thanks for any insight you can give!

jason

·
Registered
93 Posts
I saw two different periods of "no-medallion" Rossi 92: those made in beginning and after about 1993.

No Rossi 92/Puma (at least those made by "true" Rossi, before acquisition by Taurus) has the model number marked. It was present only in catalogs.

Mine has B128xxx serial number, and was made in 1993 (date on first Firearms Register Certificate), without medaillon and saddle ring. But, years ago, I worked with an issued Rossi 92 (yes, it was used as a police weapon here!) with B126xxx serial number, with medaillon and saddle ring.

K prefix on serial number means .357 Magnum caliber. In my country, up to 2019, civilians could purchase only .38 Special and .44-40 versions. All "Magnum" calibers was classified as "restricted use". President Bolsonaro did not extinguished the concept of "allowed" and "restricted" calibers, but changed the classification parameters.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello,

I have my Father in Law's Rossi 951, but he passed and no one knows for sure when he bought it.

It is a 3" model, with the 'diamondback'-type barrel, and a serial number that starts E030xxx.

Under the grips on one side is a faint "I" and a star or hardness test.
Under the grips on the other side are the following four numbers, with the spacing approximately as follows: " 9 5 95".

I don't know if this means it is a May 9th 1995 pistol, or if that is just an assembly mark [I assume Brazil uses european conventions of Day/Month/Year- unlike here where that would be Sept 5 1995].

Any tips?

One person said about 1988, but I wasn't sure 'why'- and I am all about 'why'. I don't like to be told 'turn left here' [hate GPS], but want to know why that is right route- which means I prefer paper maps.

Thanks in advance.
Hello!

I found and old notebook with annotations from a Forensic Ballistic course .It clears th mystery.

Separated "9 and 5" means month and year (September, 1995). The "95" is indeed the model number.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks! Erick,

I'll check it out next time I'm at the local gun shop.

Where I am at, used guns have to sit for 30 days at the LGS before they can sell it to someone else, to ensure it isn't stolen, etc.

I won't be able to officially buy it [and wait 11 more days to take it home] until the 9th of Sept.

I'll 'visit' it next week and check it out. My receipt shows a serial number of K0225xx, but I don't remember where it was located.

I know mine is a 20" barrel, with no 'puma' medallion. I don't remember if it is marked M92, or SRC92, or what the marking is- other than 92.

Thanks for any insight you can give!

jason
Your Rossi 92 (Here in Brazil, Puma Model 67) was made before January, 1981. In this month the unit K 024276 was made. From this serial number, it becames to be stamped by hydraulic press, with a smaller font. Before this, the serial number was manually stamped with punches and hammer.

The first Model 67 made was made in the end of December, 1976 (serial number K 00001), and released in January, 1977. These data tell us that are produced about 6000 units per year of Rossi 92/Puma 67 between 1977-1980. A quick calculation put your gun between July and August, 1980.

So, your 92 has the serial number under the receiver in front of the lever. Font size is 2,5mm in height and 1,5mm in width.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Erick!

This is great news. It really helps me get the correct info.

My father in law bought the revolver but only the youngest kid and his wife were still at home. My wife didn't even know her dad had a gun until after he died.

The wife and son were pretty useless in getting a sense of when the purchase was made.

This helps puts things into perspective.

I will check out the 92 to verify the serial number location.

In doing more reading, I realize that 'SRC' just means it is a carbine with a saddle ring on it. Well, mine is a 20" [thus a carbine] and it has a saddle ring, so- it must be an SRC. This is using the phrasing from the Interarms/Rossi advertisements from around 1980.

Thanks so much for this insight!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello!

I found and old notebook with annotations from a Forensic Ballistic course .It clears th mystery.

Separated "9 and 5" means month and year (September, 1995). The "95" is indeed the model number.

Hi Erick,

Is there any chance that this might be September 1985? I am trying to figure out how they would tell the difference between 1985 and 1995 in the dating system you laid out.

I know the manufacturing date would be a bit before when it arrives here and was distributed.

I have read US magazine reviews of the model 851 from 1985. Since it was just the stainless equivalent of the 951, I imagine they were making both at the same time.

That made me wonder how to tell if it was a 1985 vs a 1995 produced revolver.

Thank you for doing such great research!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Erick

Ok. I knew this was true for some other countries, like Spain or Italy, where I thought they used the letters of the alphabet for each year after 1945, and then switched to arabic numerals after 26 years. I am not familiar with Brazilian dating conventions, as [other than these two Rossi's], my 'other' Brazilian gun is a PT99af [from 1989, I believe].

·
Registered
93 Posts
Keep in mind that Mr. Amadeo Rossi was an Italian immigrant. Here in Brazil, the use of Roman numbers for months (never day or year) is more traditional with law bachelors and Roman Catholic clerygmen.

If your PT-99 was made before October,1987, it's easy. The three letters means:
T - 9mm Luger caliber.

Second letter - Year, starting with A in 1981 (this system started with G, in 1987, for pistols);

Third letter: Month, starting with A in January.

Firing pin block and magazine release behind trigger guard were introduced in 1984 (AF variant).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Erick,

I'll dig the PT99 out tonight and go over it. I am pretty sure it is from 88 or 89 though. The mag release is definitely behind trigger guard and it has a firing pin block, but it is a frame safety only- no decocker.

I bought it as I had heard so many positives about the Beretta 92 but the Taurus PT92/99 just felt better. At the time I picked it [used at LGS] it was right next to a Beretta 92FS. I felt both and like the Taurus a bit better: trigger felt smoother/crisper, the DA pull felt just a 'smidge' better to me than the Beretta, and I like frame safeties more than slide safeties.

Thanks for the insights into Rossi and Taurus!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, no PT99 update, but running into something weird on the Rossi revolver. So weird I'm going to start a new thread, to try to gain more eyes on the question. I am wondering if anyone has some insight into Interarms' catalog practices. odd.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Erick,

I'll dig the PT99 out tonight and go over it. I am pretty sure it is from 88 or 89 though. The mag release is definitely behind trigger guard and it has a firing pin block, but it is a frame safety only- no decocker.

I bought it as I had heard so many positives about the Beretta 92 but the Taurus PT92/99 just felt better. At the time I picked it [used at LGS] it was right next to a Beretta 92FS. I felt both and like the Taurus a bit better: trigger felt smoother/crisper, the DA pull felt just a 'smidge' better to me than the Beretta, and I like frame safeties more than slide safeties.

Thanks for the insights into Rossi and Taurus!
Taurus PT-92, indeed, was initially made with Beretta machinery. Taurus bought the Beretta Brazilian plant in 1980.

Our military adopted the first version of Beretta 92 (without suffix) in 1975, still with frame-mounted safety.

Beretta also made Models 950, 950B and 21 here in Brazil, and the M12 submachine gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts