Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well tomorrow I am heading to the range to spend a few hours one on one with an instructor. Been to the range a few times on my own and though I am self impressed with myself, I thought if I am going to do this, I want to do it right.

Is this a common course of action or are most of you just self taught? T

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Most probably learned from their parents or in the military. Good training is a must for anyone wanting to carry or own a gun. Good for you for seeking out training.

Get as much as you can afford to get. Every instructor will do it a bit different and you can learn from them all (the good ones at least).

Reactions: dbeardslee

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
How can training from a competent instructor ever be a bad idea is how I look at it.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
All should spend time with an instructor most probably don't. Job well done sir!!

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Tdub I don't know if it's "common" but it sure is a good idea. You have certainly made the right decision. I wish I could afford more training.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Parent,Brother,Military,shot competive.

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
A good many new shooters will spend hundreds of dollars and many,many hours trying to learn the art, some do some don't and blame the tool not the operator.
its not a bad idea at all, don't be afraid to ask questions as well.
When you get to a certian point a lot of people are like good Golfers, you know you made a lousy shot even before you see the result,and can figure out what you did wrong (I have a lot of experince doing this!) other times a onlooker can better detect what you are doing.
usually My son is my "find whats wrong", as he knows my shooting style and is a RO with the sheriffs office.
Good Luck and learn a bunch!

·
Super Moderator
14,255 Posts
I need to make good on my neighbor's offer to take me to the LEO shooting range and get some training. Moving while shooting, firing from cover, etc.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys!!

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
100% self taught here. Went with my buddies to the range in Elkhart, IN and rented some guns - and started shooting. That was 2006. :)

Took my CCW class, last summer (before the current madness), and was a one-on-one class with the instructor. Definitely, well worth it.

Have fun at the range. :)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Learned to shoot as a kid, shot varsity rifle in high school. Now I have taken a few classes and instruction but there is always someone better than you who can teach you something. I will most likely be taking a beginner self defense pistol class again soon with my wife. I want her to take it and it is never a bad idea for a refresher on the basics.

·
Premium Member
17,735 Posts
When I was a kid in the 60's I took riflery at camp during the summer, and shot at the local gun club the rest of the year. The club had a youth rifle team. Really no family to teach me. Never served in the military (a bit too young for Vietnam).

Other than that I'm self taught. When I started shooting handguns in the late 70's I don't really recall there being instructors available. I suppose they were around, but not like today now that CHL's are so prevalent.

I think it's a good idea. I've toyed with the idea myself.

·
10,379 Posts
I need to make good on my neighbor's offer to take me to the LEO shooting range and get some training. Moving while shooting, firing from cover, etc.
Oh oh, take me with!;)

Yup, not only is it good training I had a ton of fun.

I was always self taught, except for the rules...those my stepdad ingrained in me via a combination of 12ga buckshot and a sheet of OSB ("This is what will happen if you're not careful" type training).

In the last couple years I started getting training from professionals and it's improved almost all of my shooting skills (from cover, laying on my back, off handed, one handed drawing off hand. It's not as easy as you'd think, specially in high stress) and is a good day out on the range, highly recommend people to get it if they can afford it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok I just got back from 3 hours at the range with my instructor Jim Trockman. I was originally scheduled for 2 hours but I WANTED MORE!!!! As I am very new to this (3x at the local range) I wanted to start from the beginning and that is what we did. Started off with basic range etiquit and safety. Progressed to proper grip and stance. Saved alot of ammo using his dummy pistol with lasers. Worked on my form and such. Did some basic defensive stuff. I shot both my .45 and 9mm.
Anyway, when we were pretty much all done Jim asked what I wanted to do just for fun. I had been eyeballing the steel setup at the far end of the range and asked if we could shoot some there. Started of with the 6" at 20 yards...6 for 6 right off the bat. Then for giggles there were some 12 inchers set up at 50 yards...went 3 for 4 on those.

I had an absolute blast and Jim gave me alot to work on in the next few weeks as I already setup another session with him in 4 weeks to see if I have improved. I cannot recommend this man enough if you are in the Tri-State area. The range we went to was the RedBush Rifle range just east of Evansville.

Can't wait to go back!! T

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I need to take some classes. I'm new to handguns and I have a range in my backyard. For a new shooter it provides the opportunity to shoot... A lot..

On the downside... I tend to find myself shooting without purpose, if that makes sense??
Kinda like in my golf days, I'd go to the driving range and find myself just hitting balls with no real objective..

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I am all for one on one training. I need some training myself. Everyone does... I learned the basics at boy scout camp and picked up on the rest through years of shooting with friends. And learning from here also, of course! But even though I have been shooting guns on and off for years, I'm still a novice. I know the parts and the safety precautions but technique is my down fall.

CF

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
On the downside... I tend to find myself shooting without purpose, if that makes sense??
Kinda like in my golf days, I'd go to the driving range and find myself just hitting balls with no real objective..
Always have an objective! Lol IMO, shooting just to hear the bang is the last thing us newbies need to be doing. We can pick up horrible habits that will take WAY TOO MUCH AMMO to unlearn

CF

Reactions: olfarhors
1 - 20 of 24 Posts