Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a retired firearms instructor and one of the courses I taught was "Reactive Firearms" which teaches the officer not to rely on their sight picture but to rely on the instinctive point of aim that most people are blessed with. Does anyone here shoot instinctive or is everyone dedicated to sights/laser etc.?

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I primarily shoot with the sights but sometimes I'll shoot my M94 .22 without, seeing how accurate I can be without them. Sometimes I'm spot on and sometimes I'm way off the mark. I suppose as with anything, the more you practice, the better you get. I've never tried that technique though with anything larger than the .22.

Perhaps the next time I have an opportunity to try with my PT92 I will, just out of curiosity. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does take some time and a number of rounds but once you get it your there. One thing that may help you is to pick as small a point as possible on your target. If you look big, you'll hit big....look small, hit small.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I usually try to get some of that in when I shoot. At three and seven yards you will be amazed at how accurate you can be. Put an orange dot on a target or a B 27 and just try it sometime.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
I practice both methods as they both have merit I feel.

I would use point shooting for close, fast and dirty type shooting where my adversary (or adversaries) are too close and I need the speed factor. Or if I'm in a physical position where I can't easily use my sights. The fit/feel of the gun to your hand is important for this style. But if the gun doesn't fit you, you can still learn it so that it does work (issued gun anyone??). For example, Glocks don't point well for me. If I was in law enforcement and was issued a Glock I would have to practice more so that I could point shoot if need be.

I like sighted shooting for times when I have the extra fraction of a second to use the sights for a higher chance of a hit or a better quality hit (where I wanted it to go vs just a hit somewhere). Also good for when the distance is greater. Yes, most defensive shooting are measured in feet not yards but "stuff" does happen and I'd rather have practiced some and not need it than find out that some punk is taking pot shots at me with a 22 rifle from 20-30 yds and all I have is a short barreled handgun that I've never tried past 7 yds with.

Steelheart

·
Registered
23 Posts
I do use instincitive shooting, but most of my shooting is "front sight" intensive.This is in my opinion the best of both worlds Doug

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rawhide, I tried the instinctive method today, with some success. However, how about a view of the highlights on this method, as it might help me with the question in my recent post "Target acquisition and reading glasses." Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
I will do some instinctive shooting when I'm at the range. I feel that for most personal defense situations, a person probably will not have the chance to aim with sights. As such, I try to do the quick draw, shoot on instict thing occassionally. I always use my carry gun(s) and I always use my SD ammo.

Similarly, I often do one handed shooting rather than two handed. There was a recent article in one of the gun magazines about one handed shooting, and it is an interesting read.

Todd

·
32,619 Posts
For those book learners, Gun Digest has The Complete Book of Combat Handgunnery by Mas Ayoob at www.krause.com.. They have many other good titles on self defense as well.

Police Book Shelf at www.ayoob.com is another good source of printed material on self defense.

www.paladin-press.com is another good source of material. Have to read up on self defense and take even basic NRA defense or other programs to get experience that counts towards badly needed knowledge. One owes it to themselves and their loved ones to do this. Liability and moral reasons are the why on this. Survival of all concerned is another reason. Legally and physically.

Ignorance of the law or of proper defense procedures before, during,and after a rightous defense shooting are not excuses one can hide behind.

And the internet is full of jailhouse lawyers and other know-it-alls that are not good sources of info or advice.

Starting a basic reference library and getting some training are sound ideas.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
The article on one handed shooting is in the August (current) issue of Guns & Ammo. I also thought that it was interesting, gives one more to think about.

Steelheart

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bob9900 said:
Rawhide, I tried the instinctive method today, with some success. However, how about a view of the highlights on this method, as it might help me with the question in my recent post "Target acquisition and reading glasses." Thanks
The best way to learn this manner of shooting is to start close to your target shooting small then move back as you gain confidence. By shooting small you are picking a point on your target, not the target. You are going to shoot the very small spot. Literally speaking, look small, hit small, look large hit large. You will find that your mind, eye, and hand coordination will improve with practice. I would be more than happy to post some books but everything I have is L/E related.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LedJedi said:
i'm highly interested in tips, methods, tricks, etc. as well. Books maybe? I'm a book learner.
sorry, couldn't resist.
Reference my previous post, most people have a natural point of aim they just need to develop it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try and Google up "Quick Kill", Robin (Brownie) Brown or Threat Focus he's got the "Instinct shooting" down to a science...another neat system would be C.A.R or Centre Axis Relock..Also Gabe Suarez of Warrior Talk and his instructors talk quite a bit and teach point shooting from EU/ED and while on the move..Its all great stuff and could save your life someday

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's a habit to always hit the center(I use an S.P.P. 9 target) of the chest on my target. I'll also work on head shots. Grouping isn't easy for me, but on some days, I can make a few bullets touch.

Mostly I work on slow fire and a LOT of rapid fire. The Mozambeke drill RULES! Two to the chest, one to the head.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts