Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a Smith & Alexander magwell for my PT 1911 and wondered if anyone had to do any fitting to install it? I've never messed with the mainspring housing before, are these considered drop in parts?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't everybody speak up at once. I figured it out on my own...thanks for all the help that was posted...not. Mods, you can delete this thread if you like.

·
Administrator
40,562 Posts
Well no one spoke up, because we knew you could do it. Now tell us how you did it. Pictures please. :D

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Perhaps no one spoke because no one has done it. ;)

I would assume, as anything else I've done to mine, it may require a little bit if fitting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It took me about an hour or so. Removing the stock MSH and the guts were no problem. The S&A MSH slid right in, and you had to keep a lil pressure against it....here is where the tweaking came in. It wasn't a perfect match, the pin would only go about halfway in, so a lil fileing took care of that. I don't have a vice on my bench right now but if you have one, it will help. Like a dummy, I need to use a pair of pliers and I didn't wrap the tip up enough so I have a lil ding on the very bottom of mine, but all in all, it fits very nice and tight. Now the fun part, I'm trying to decide if I want to blend it. I don't have any expeirence doing this so I may let my dad handle that...he's good at the "gunsmithing" stuff. I don't have any pics of the process, but i will get some pics up of the new piece installed for you guys. Oh, and a lil helpful tip...when you remove the MSH, you might want to get a rubberband and wrap it around the grip and the gripsafety to keep some pressure on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put a Smith and Alexander on mine without any mods. fit and finish is nice. Here it is with a set of VZ 320 flat cut grip panels.

Doc

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finally got a few pics of mine...along with my new AlumaGrips as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts