Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
37,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Into my Lee Deluxe Turret press in a turret with an open slot. Had looked at a YouTube video which suggested that the lower "cap" that boosted the swager out of the pocket on the down stroke needed a hose clamp to provide additional depth to get that swager to drop below the "cap" and release the case. Mine seems to be sufficiently thick enough to do the job, however when I run the swager up to the case to engage the primer pocket I get a "pop" and the swager enters the pocket out of center. Leaves a teardrop shape of the primer pocket and results in a ruined case IMO.

Here's the video...followed by photos of the cases I've wrecked.

IMG_20190512_134344959.jpg

IMG_20190512_134320961_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
I was never satisfied with the RCBS Swage tooling. It just wasn't up to doing batches of 5000, seemed every case was a study in "there has to be a better way", finally I broke down and paid for the better way. Dillon Super Swage 600.........I've had mine since before the turn of the century, beautiful tool!!

Reactions: GaCop103

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have one of the RCBS primer pocket swaggers and have had it for 40 years or so and have used it without any trouble. My largest batch was 1,000 .223 case from military brass. Watching your video I suspect the 2 raised areas on the top front of your press is causing your problem. The cases are supposed to get pushed straight up and not at an angle if I remember correctly. That likely requires more effort to remove the case from the swagger stud like that.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Into my Lee Deluxe Turret press in a turret with an open slot. Had looked at a YouTube video which suggested that the lower "cap" that boosted the swager out of the pocket on the down stroke needed a hose clamp to provide additional depth to get that swager to drop below the "cap" and release the case. Mine seems to be sufficiently thick enough to do the job, however when I run the swager up to the case to engage the primer pocket I get a "pop" and the swager enters the pocket out of center. Leaves a teardrop shape of the primer pocket and results in a ruined case IMO.

Here's the video...followed by photos of the cases I've wrecked.

View attachment 439469

View attachment 439471
I went with a piece of brass pipe instead of the hose clamp and cut to size. Worked like a charm. Will post some pictures soon as I can .

·
Super Moderator
37,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one of the RCBS primer pocket swaggers and have had it for 40 years or so and have used it without any trouble. My largest batch was 1,000 .223 case from military brass. Watching your video I suspect the 2 raised areas on the top front of your press is causing your problem. The cases are supposed to get pushed straight up and not at an angle if I remember correctly. That likely requires more effort to remove the case from the swagger stud like that.
I went with a piece of brass pipe instead of the hose clamp and cut to size. Worked like a charm. Will post some pictures soon as I can .
Like I said, the ram on mine fits entirely inside of the cap that the swager fits through...I don't have that step shown in the video and so do not need the hose clamp or a pipe shim. When the ram is in the lower position, the swager retracts below the cap and the case is released. It's the apparent alignment of the swager point into the primer pocket which results in the point hitting off center and then sliding into the pocket.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Here are some pictures of set up and measurements. I used a reducing coupling from the depot. This setup allows case to be pushed strait up and off the swager. IMG_3383.JPG IMG_3382.JPG IMG_3384.JPG IMG_3385.JPG IMG_3386.JPG

·
Super Moderator
37,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is brass going into your die fairly easy and strait during the wager process? sounds like your swager is not seated properly in the shell holder slot.
I'll have to futz with it again...for a buck's worth of copper fitting I may try that also. There's resistance currently then it pops when it moves from the off center to wipe into the pocket.

Reactions: Taurus1965

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
Gosh I dunt know whut to say, I use the lee turret press (not the deluxe) and the RCBS swager and never have the least problem with it?
I remove the primer arm that sticks in the ram, and away we go!
I do not have the auto indexing gadget on mine either as I batch load.
as I lower the ram the brass pops right off and ready for the next one.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
That"s weird, I have used mine for a few thousand .308 and .223, Do you have another press to try it on? I use mine on an old Pacific cast iron C-press. It is kind of a pain on the .223 since the rod is almost as big as the case neck, but it always works for me.

·
Super Moderator
37,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That"s weird, I have used mine for a few thousand .308 and .223, Do you have another press to try it on? I use mine on an old Pacific cast iron C-press. It is kind of a pain on the .223 since the rod is almost as big as the case neck, but it always works for me.
I went back to do some more, holding the case farther up in the die thinking that perhaps the case was angling. Worked for a few, then I got another "smear". I am starting to think that maybe my press has had so much action over 10 years that maybe the ram is worn to the point that it is not running straight vertically.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
Is the rod in the die good and tight? It doesn't seem like it should be able to do that.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
`I love mine but I've only ever used it on my RCBS single stage press. No issues with it. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
37,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is the rod in the die good and tight? It doesn't seem like it should be able to do that.
The nut securing the rod is only finger tight...I figured that the thickness of the stock that forms the cap of that die would keep it at a 90 degree. I'll have to tighten it down with a wrench...after taking it out to roll it on a flat surface to ensure that it is concentric.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I was never satisfied with the RCBS Swage tooling. It just wasn't up to doing batches of 5000, seemed every case was a study in "there has to be a better way", finally I broke down and paid for the better way. Dillon Super Swage 600.........I've had mine since before the turn of the century, beautiful tool!!
+1. I've had mine since 1995 and love it. Makes short work of military brass.

·
Super Moderator
37,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Update...tightening the arbor nut on the top of the die did the trick. Liking it a lot now!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts