Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So ive been looking at taurus pistols for awhile now. There seems too be so many models out, but i seem to like the way they look and feel for the most part. I havent had the chance to shoot one yet but have held different models in my hand. Im trying to find a nice 45acp pistol that has atleast 10 round capacity, isnt too compact that it isnt fun to shoot, especially in .45. Trying to spend around $350
Reading reviews has me kind of scared, with all the loading, jamming and customer service issues so many people are talking about.

These are acouple im interested in. Could you guys give me some of advice as to which of these would be a better choice. And when i say better i mean more reliable feeding wise and if one of these models is known to have better QC than another.

Taurus 24/7 G2
2-TI247451G2C-12 - Taurus 24/7 G2 Compact Semi Automatic Handgun .45 ACP 3.5" Barrel 12 Rounds Polymer Grips Blue Finish

Taurus 845
Taurus 12 + 1 Round 45 ACP w/4" Barrel/Blue Finish/3 Dot Sig $352.00 SHIPS FREE

I was also interested in the 24/7 oss but it seems the price went up over night .so thats not an option at this time.
If there are other models i should look into please speak up.
Thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
btw, this is going to be a home defense gun that will be taken out to the range atleast twice a month if not more.

·
Registered
31,761 Posts
Don't overlook the PT145! They are all good pistols!

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Reactions: Taurus_9mm

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have an OSS .45 and a friend has an 845. I like mine slightly better but you cannot go wrong with either. There are so many differences in them you can't really compare the two. OSS longer bbl, striker fired, totally different feel from the PT845.

Having said that, mine did break after about 4000 rounds. Taurus fixed it (so far) and it is approaching 500 rounds after today.
My OSS functioned with everything I fed it except SWC bullets. No feeding or ejecting issues whatsoever. The trigger started to malfunction but even then if you were extremely careful it would shoot really well.

My wife has and carries a PT145 MilPro but it is not as fun of a range gun as the larger guns. I do not recommend a small gun for strictly range shooting and a small gun is not needed for a bedside gun.

My wife and I both have smallish .45s for carry but when we go to shoot for the joy of it, we always grab a full sized gun.
If something goes bump in the night, I want my hands full of gun.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Definitely don't overlook the Mil-Pro145, standard 10 round mag, and the 24/7 mags will give you 12+1 capacity and a longer grip surface with the mag sleeves available for them. You can usually find those within your price range.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I like my PT145...carries really nice and comfy and conceals good, I think you would really like it!!! But to each his own, that's why there's such a choice!!! Choose well my son......

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
I prefer the .45 ACP in the PT145.

It's reliable, accurate, compact, light (21 oz.) at at 10+1 rounds has ample pay load for "minute of felon" encounters.;)

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
I'll thrown in my vote for the PT845 - while admitting I've never handled an OSS.

Of all the pistols I have, I'm more accurate with this than any other. Plus, it has a hammer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I was looking at the pt145 also, but on many reviews and also as k4swb said since its on the lighter side it wont be as fun to shoot at the range as often. But if i was going to get a carry gun i would def get the pt145.

MilProGuy- thanks, the oss i had book marked from buds had a price of 474 or something. There are two oss 45s that look identical besides the price difference. not sure what the difference is between the two.

So looks like there alot of love for the pt145. The oss looks sexy to me but i still like the pt845 too.

Lance0812- how long have you had your 845? Hows it been treating you? Any problems?

Also if you guys could share what ammo your taurus's are eating without issue that would be great.

thanks everyone

Before i reconsidered taurus again i was planning on getting a sw40ve and doing a trigger job myself. But its $300, plus $20 for spring, misc cost for supplies to do the work, not to mention voiding lifetime warranty. Figured i might as well spend just alittle more and get something that comfortable out of the box. Plus 45acp is what i really wanted before i started looking into .40 cal.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
I've shot the full size G2 and I own the PT845. I don't think you can go wrong with either of your choices. The G2c in your link above has an adjustable rear sight. That would be the tie breaker for me!

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
I own a PT1911 and a PT945 and owned a PT145. The PT145 was a little too small for my liking. The 1911 and 945 come with 8 round mags but you can get 10 round mags for them. They are both out of your $350 price rangr though. Hope you find what you are looking for.

·
Super Moderator
35,703 Posts
I also have the PT 1911 and the PT145 (gotta love the .45 ACP!). We cannot carry in Illinois as the politicians devote the same amount of trust in their electorate as the electorate has for them! The PT 145 is primarily a CWP pistol as it is more difficult to shoot a lighter semi-auto handgun with a short sight radius, for both of those reasons. I have not fired a 24/7 or the derivatives but would expect them to work as well as the PT 145 due to the similar design and mechanism.

Welcome to the forum from Northern Illinois, let us know what you decide on. I would recommend renting or borrowing one to try at the range if at all possible.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
As a matter of fact, there are two PT845s in my family.
Mine was dead accurate right out of the box (after the proper cleaning, of course) and has never given me any problems.

However, the one belonging to my son will not reliably feed handloaded SWC. Taurus was good enough to send him a new recoil spring at no charge but it didn't fix the problem.
Mine, on the other hand, eats the same batch of SWC with no problems.

His sights were off (came from the factory that way) but our LGS had the proper size hex wrench, made the adjustment and now it shoots as good as mine.

To answer your primary question: I bought mine in April 2011 and now have about 500 rounds through it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
As for what mine eats. Everything except SWC bullet loads of any construction. I've loaded Rainier, Berrys, Hornady, Laser Cast, my own cast and had no trouble at all. I don't shoot much factory fodder but have used Hornady Critical Defense, Fiocchi with their and Hornady bullets plus a couple of boxes of Wal-Mart WW stuff someone gave me and a couple of mags of Gold Dot.

I only have one semi-auto that likes SWC bullets so I've decided to just stop loading the things.

·
Super Moderator
35,703 Posts
It must be a "genetic thing" My PT 145 would not feed my 185 gr Berry's plated SWC's after playing with loads and OAL. I just gave up on that also. It's has fed all of the SD JHP +P that I've sent down the line.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I was just about opposite side of the isle :) I got the oss ds in .45acp. The other thing alike, I haven't payed much to even look at anthing else. I looked at a millinium in.45 @ BASS PRO .Tonight I had a chance to check out a millinium. I was chacking out other pistols and found the 840(?) in.40 at $399. I"ll admit I am a firm believer in the .45 cal. & never looked at anothing but...I checked outa couple 40's for carring...they looked pretty good. I don't think you could pick any of them and go wrong.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Don't overlook the PT145! They are all good pistols!
I cannot agree with a statement more. I love my PT145. I think the mot surprising thing is the recoil isnt as strong as it is out of my 24/7 LS. Cannot recommend it more

·
Registered
3,796 Posts
I don't think there is a bad choice there, but I went with the 24/7G2C. I was torn between the 845 and G2, I really wanted the 845 with the 22LR conversion kit, but that appears to be vapor ware. I stumbled upon a good deal on the G2 and have been quite happy. I got the 24/7G2C-45 NIB with the Theis IWB holster for $400. I can live with that. ;) Just set your priorities and find the best fit. For me, full ambi controls was important.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Zylo: new member here, and sorry to trouble you, but I also live in Fort Worth, and have had NO luck finding the 24/7 g2C in .45. Did you find one locally, or who did you order from?
Thanks,
Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts