Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perusing the internet I stumbled about this company who cuts and fits tritium 3 dot night sights on the TCP. I can find a lot for the Ruger but nothing for the Taurus. Has anyone tried these? How do they look? Do they impede holstering?

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Do you have a link or name of a company?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a link or name of a company?
Innovative Arms.

There site, which I found earlier, shows they do it to the tcp as well. I would just like first hand experience with them. Its $140 so i don't know if is worth adding to a $250 gun

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
913 Posts
For that price, I'd go with...

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Innovative Arms.

There site, which I found earlier, shows they do it to the tcp as well. I would just like first hand experience with them. Its $140 so i don't know if is worth adding to a $250 gun

I was thinking the same thing - cost is a little much in comparison to the guns value. The TCP is a pocket carry gun used for close quarter engagement where most of the time it comes down to point and shoot. Having the sight there, just for range practice, doesn't justify the cost, IMO.

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
Keep in mind that Tritium does not last forever.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Here is what I received from them when I inquired about them:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Attached is some brief information on the sight upgrade. Unfortunately, Trijicon is on a 12 week back order for the front sight and they have increased their pricing (TBA). We have had to temporarily suspended the sight upgrade. We do not have a set date for when the sight upgrade will be resumed but we estimate late summer/ early fall. Please check back with us periodically and give us a call if you have any questions."

The additional information was the attached image.

Product Technology

Personally, I like my two TCPs and night sights well enough to have the work done. They are taking the time to do it right by cutting the dovetails. As as far as shelf life of the Trijicon, I use them on all the handguns that I can install them on and replacing them isn't an issue with for me.

I had planned on sending them my TCPs one at a time but have been waiting for them to tell me to send them.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Keep in mind that Tritium does not last forever.
Ditto on that. I wouldn't make any permanent altercations to my gun unless it was going to last, especially at that price. Are these sights replaceable? What if this company goes out of business?

These are all things to think about before shipping them your gun and plunking down the cash.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is what I received from them when I inquired about them:

"Thank you for your inquiry. Attached is some brief information on the sight upgrade. Unfortunately, Trijicon is on a 12 week back order for the front sight and they have increased their pricing (TBA). We have had to temporarily suspended the sight upgrade. We do not have a set date for when the sight upgrade will be resumed but we estimate late summer/ early fall. Please check back with us periodically and give us a call if you have any questions."

The additional information was the attached image.

View attachment 57707

Personally, I like my two TCPs and night sights well enough to have the work done. They are taking the time to do it right by cutting the dovetails. As as far as shelf life of the Trijicon, I use them on all the handguns that I can install them on and replacing them isn't an issue with for me.

I had planned on sending them my TCPs one at a time but have been waiting for them to tell me to send them.
Keep us updated. I'd like to see the finished product.

I don't find the price to be high for what you are getting. Whats hard to swallow is the price compared to the gun price... But its still cool.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was thinking the same thing - cost is a little much in comparison to the guns value. The TCP is a pocket carry gun used for close quarter engagement where most of the time it comes down to point and shoot. Having the sight there, just for range practice, doesn't justify the cost, IMO.
I'd agree if you were talking about anything else besides something in which your life may depend upon. If I felt something was really going to be a major upgrade, the cost vs. value of the gun would be a non-factor.

Having said that, I agree that small pocket pistols like the TCP are better left as they are, close quarters weapons in which you will likely have no time to use the sights, lasers, etc.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
They do good work but they are not doing them right now and only the front sight has tritium the rear is a custom made dove tail sight.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I know this is kind of an old thread but has anyone gotten this done? I'm seriously considering it. I would love to see pictures or hear reviews if anyone has any.

·
23,565 Posts
Its $140 so i don't know if is worth adding to a $250 gun
Having the sight there, just for range practice, doesn't justify the cost, IMO.
It's not a $250 gun. It's a tool upon which your life may depend. If a $140 improvement really makes it a significantly more effective tool, then that $140 is probably well worth it. And I don't think anyone puts tritium sights on a gun for the range. It's for twilight, when the black sights blend in too much to be used.

I'd agree if you were talking about anything else besides something in which your life may depend upon. If I felt something was really going to be a major upgrade, the cost vs. value of the gun would be a non-factor.
Exactly.

And yes, Tritium doesn't last forever. I always get a chuckle out of these companies bragging about their twelve year warranty. Guess what tritium is? Radioactive hydrogen. Yes, it's radioactive. Is it dangerous? In a word, no. Radiation physics is what I do, and I own a tritium compass and a tritium watch. The amount of tritium in products like these is so small there's no realistically calculable risk whatsoever.

Now, back to the not lasting forever, and the twelve year warranty. Guess what the half-life of tritium is? If you said "twelve years," pat yourself on the back. So no matter how you package it, no matter how you bond it to the phosphor, twelve years from the date of manufacture, it's only going to generate half as much light. Twelve years after that, it will generate 1/4 the original light, and so on.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I always get a kick out of people saying what a gun is "for" and when it will be used, as if the bad guys know what kind of gun you're carrying. Although many will disagree (gun owners are infamous for their ability to prognosticate), I don't think one can predict the future. Should you ever have to draw or use a firearm, you don't know if sights will be necessary or not. Saying you won't need sights for certain guns isn't a real thing, no matter how many times it's repeated. I like having usable sights and would be interested in this upgrade.

I also agree with another on the cost of the upgrade: it's not a lot compared to replacing the gun for one with better sights as I've been considering. New sights for my TCP: $150. New gun with sights: probably a lot more.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't alot of people buy the Crimson trace lasers? I can't wait to get mine for my tcp. This is cheaper and may just fit the bill for those that like sights.

If you think only about cost, look at the sig cost or others that come with all the bells agx whistles. I look at gun mods just like car mods...

You can buy a corvette or if you can't swing the cost at the moment you get what you can and put a corvette engine in it and make it better. At least that's what I did
87 Mazda RX7 with a 2000 corvette swap

And I'm waiting on this one to get shipped to me

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,328 Posts
Yea, but you re getting a lot more than just a upgraded set of sights with the Sig or Kimber (and certain Colts)!
like much better quality in workmanship, a nice short trigger reset, a light short trigger pull, better ergonomics, not just one set of sights but several so POA can be changed to match POI, additional magazines, some less expensive than even the taurus factory magazine, great customer service (or at least for me), much, much better resale /trade value.

Reactions: atli126

·
23,565 Posts
I'd put my TCP's trigger up against any other gun I've ever owned. Anyone who picks up my TCP and quibbles about the quality in workmanship probably owns a couple dozen safe queens, and has a brand new Corvette they never drive because they like having the whiskers on the original tires.

Etc., etc., etc., quibble quibble quibble. If you chose the TCP because it fit your needs better than anything else, and find an upgrade that you think will make it even better, holding off because of what you spent on the TCP just doesn't make sense to me. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts