Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited an Interarms/Rossi Model 68 3"barrel with a holster :D . It looks to be in great shape, but as I'm not familiar with with this gun, I have been trying to determine the best defensive round for this gun. It is not a +P or at least doesn't list this on the barrel. I believe it was made around '78. Any suggestions on the ammo would be appreciated.
20141230_143016.jpg 20141230_142827.jpg 20141230_142841.jpg 20141230_142907.jpg 20141230_142943.jpg

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Very nice piece you have there! Nice pictures too. Any modern quality hollow point should be fine. Just shoot some 125 grain and some 158 grain projectiles and see if they shoot to point of aim. The gun might like one more that the other.

·
Registered
21,504 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think that just about any name brand factory load will do the trick.

Reactions: mingaa

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
That is one nice looking Rossi! I'll be waiting to hear how it shoots! ;)

·
Registered
24,594 Posts
I would not recommend +p ammo for this gun.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
Very nice looking revolver.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Very nice!

·
22,288 Posts
welcome from New Mexico.JPG

and

DSC01186.JPG on a great looking revolver!

If it's from the 70s, I don't think I'd shoot +P through it, but I don't really see much value in +P any way. .38 Special was stopping bad guys for decades before anyone thought about +P, and that was before the modern era of outstanding hollow point designs began.

I'd trust anything from Hornaday, Federal or Speer, with a preference for heavier bullets than lighter.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

I keep 148-grain wadcutters in my .38 special revolvers. I haven't had to shoot anybody yet, but if I ever do, I'm confident in the wadcutters. And I don't have to worry about overpenetration.
This is a topic as big as all outdoors, so I'm sure you'll hear more opinions.

·
Registered
205 Posts
My wife inherited a model 88 from the 1980's and she shoots the hornady critical defense 110 grain hp standard pressure ammo with good accuracy and control. They are nice pistols enjoy!

·
Registered
115 Posts
FYI: The Rossi manual for the 68 and 88 states that +P loads should not be used in their 38 Spl caliber guns. S&W manual for the 36 J-frame also states that ammo designated for "law enforcement" use or "+P" loads should not be used due to possible high pressures exceeding the gun's design.

In my various snubbies, I use mid to high range 38 Spl loads with Hornady 158 XTP's.

The Packmayr #3147 grip fits the Rossi 68/88 frame perfectly and is highly recommended.

Not shown with after market grips
Top left: Rossi 88, Top right: Rossi 68
Bottom left: S&W 36, Bottom right: Rossi S&W 36 clone (late 60's-70's)
snubbies_2.JPG

·
Registered
29,895 Posts
Welcome aboard from Florida the "GunShine"state.

State of "1 MILLION 150 THOUSAND" Concealed Carry Licenses and counting!

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
I have a 3" M68. It,s POA the lighter bullets.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If it's from the 70s, I don't think I'd shoot +P through it, but I don't really see much value in +P any way. .38 Special was stopping bad guys for decades before anyone thought about +P, and that was before the modern era of outstanding hollow point designs began.

I'd trust anything from Hornaday, Federal or Speer, with a preference for heavier bullets than lighter.[/QUOTE]

Good looking gun. +P ammo is ok for serious social shooting, But use standard loads for plinking, target practice, etc. I carried +P ammo in my Colt Trooper service pistol & my off duty Colt Detective Special back in the seventies & it didn't hurt them a bit.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
1 Smiley Hello.gif Welcome from the Rust Belt USA....

I like heavy bullets in my .38/357's and recomend a 158 grain SWC, SJHP or SJFP.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I had a late 80s model that I put over 8000 rounds through, including a heavy diet of +P rounds. When I sold it, it was still locking up just as tight as it did new. For carry, I like Gold Dots or Remington Golden Saber.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts