Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I inherited a PT145 Pro from my late father and I have some questions regarding it. First off, what generation am I looking at? Right side markings read " PT 145, Cal .45 ACP, Assembled in USA". Left side markings "Millennium Pro". Serial number is NXC0****. From what I gather from the sticky this is a Second Generation pistol? Do these fall under the recall?

Also, it appears to be DOA and when I take it apart I don't see any of the SA sear parts in the frame. Is it like this from the factory? It is possible that my father or a previous owner removed the components. Is it free of the drop discharge or safety issues since it is missing the SA parts?

I am looking at new PT111 G2 in 9mm (the used market in my area is just dumb price wise) as I have other guns in 9x19mm. I've read that Taurus has issued some replacements for PT145s as PT111s. This was my dad's pistol and I'm not looking to get rid of it but if it's unsafe I may consider trying to get it exchanged. If it is safe then I will happily hold on to it and just pick up another pistol.

·
Administrator
36,043 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, according to the settlement website it does fall under the "class pistols". Going by the thread linked mine is a 2nd generation. It seems odd that the DAO pistols were included in the recall but does anyone know if this is just an instance of Taurus covering their butts or do the DAO pistols share the lack of drop safety?

·
Administrator
36,043 Posts
Hmm, according to the settlement website it does fall under the "class pistols". Going by the thread linked mine is a 2nd generation. It seems odd that the DAO pistols were included in the recall but does anyone know if this is just an instance of Taurus covering their butts or do the DAO pistols share the lack of drop safety?
I had a PT111 that was gen2, DAO, but I believe it also had a safety on it as well. If it has a safety, then presumably that safety is defective. If you send it in for any reason, don't expect to ever get it back. Having said that, as long as you never drop the gun with a round in the chamber, you should be fine. Or, you can follow the instructions for the lawsuit and get a new G2 or $200.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I had a PT111 that was gen2, DAO, but I believe it also had a safety on it as well. If it has a safety, then presumably that safety is defective. If you send it in for any reason, don't expect to ever get it back. Having said that, as long as you never drop the gun with a round in the chamber, you should be fine. Or, you can follow the instructions for the lawsuit and get a new G2 or $200.
Read the last sentence above out loud OP. Then insert "up to $200".

Meaning the more people that opt for the cash payout... the smaller the check is you will receive, $200 being the maximum possible. :(

·
Registered
14,577 Posts
First off, Welcome to our family. And Happy Thanksgiving.

Sounds to me as though your individual 145 may have a few things going for it yet in different directions.

You said it shows to be a recall firearm. Keep in mind that this is not a mandatory recall, thus leaving the thoughts open that the drop/fire issue is believed to be a limited random issue.

There is always the option of not carrying a chambered round is this makes an owner feel safer about their weapon.

Of course you could just never drop this Taurus, but I don't think any of us really plan on dropping a loaded firearm to begin with.

Then of course there is the lifetime warranty, which in this pistol maybe more of a limited conditional warranty. Meaning that if Taurus gets its hands on it, you most likely never will again. I figure their warranty view is more along the line of Limited Liability, meaning if it's no longer in the hands of the public they just limited their liability.

And then there could be, possibility an emotional or sentential reason to keep this firearm. If this is the case you are the only one who knows its value on a personal level.

Lastly, you have some time to decide, this whole settlement is moving at a snails pace at best. If I were to be considering sending in a firearm for replacement I would wait to see how others are pleased with their end results.

FWIW, I do own a lawsuit effected Taurus. No emotional attachment to it what so ever. It is a smooth firing .45acp that is accurate and has never shown one single negative issue. I have no plan to send it in under this settlement offer. I will add however that this is not a weapon that I carry for personal protection. Not due to distrust of it, I have a few others that are easier to conceal carry and that I am more fluent with.

Best of luck with your decision,

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
I had a PT145 that was one of the DAO pistols as well. I asked the same questions as you because like your, mine had some Gen1 features as well as Gen 2 features. The consensus here among those who know much more than I were that either it was a transitional pistol, built with parts from both generations or more likely it had been sent back to Taurus and the frame had been replaced. The Taurus 145 is specifically NOT mentioned in this video, link below, about the class action pistols, but a call to Taurus and a check of my serial number confirmed it was. I started to keep it anyway, it was my favorite, but I had a 24/7 and a 145 Pro that were so in the end, I let them all go.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...1j0i13k1j0i13i30k1j0i22i30k1.165.mTNSr3SINFg#

·
Registered
32,897 Posts
I have the second gen PT145. The first generation PT145 didn't have the accessory rail, but both were DAO only. I love the little hand cannon. The first PT 145's had a problem with the frame cracking, and I suspect the adding of the accessory rail help strengthen the frame for the 2nd gen.

I bought mine as my First .45 acp, and new, they were going around $350. I love the little hand cannon, and owned and shot it for over 7 years before all this class action suit came out.

The way I think about it, many vintage guns do not have any type of safety against dropping. I doubt anyone would try to send in a vintage Colt Single action Army for a new one.

If Taurus would replace it with a compact .45 acp, yeah, I would send it in, but no way would I take a $200 settlement for it.

I actually have a spare recoil spring assembly. My main concern about shooting it much is ever getting parts for it in the future, so I don't do any shooting marathon's with it.

In your case, being your father's pistol, I would keep it strictly for sentimental reasons even if I never shot it again.

If you have never shot it, then go out where you can shoot it by yourself, and if you are worried about dropping it, just shoot in a plowed field with soft soil, just in case you get a case of butterfingers, which you won't. I suspect you will get a case of the Big Grins when you shoot it and find out just how good it shoots and how low the recoil is in a 22.5 ounce .45 acp.

Mine sure put a smile on my face the first time I shot it.

Reactions: WoodyUSSLUCE

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've shot it before with my father, it is a fun gun to shoot. My 2 biggest issues with it are the safety concern and that I don't own any other .45 ACP firearms so I don't have any ammo stocked up. I still have some of dads old supply of the .45 and after field stripping it and examining / playing with it 4 ways from Sunday I've decided to trust this pistol. Looking at the mechanics I just cant see how it can go off when dropped unless the rebound spring for the striker is that damned wimpy, also no matter how I try I can't replicate a "false safety" with the slide on the pistol. With the slide off the pistol it is possible to pull the trigger, apply the safety, and force the trigger forward and reset it into a ready to fire mode with the safety on, but it just won't do it with the slide installed.

Now the big questions are: Do I shell out $200 for a blued PT111G2 or $220 for a stainless model. I live in the Chihuahuan desert so climate isn't the issue but I do like clip-draw type carry so the pistol would be against my body. I could stock up on .45 and carry my dads pistol but I really don't want to damage it while carrying or lose it to an evidence locker if I have to use it in a defense situation.

·
Registered
181 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can do even better than that...
Not sure if the prices changed between you posting and me reading, but after FFL fees those aren't much better... which is a moot point either way given that I bought a blued model at Cabela's just today: Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Airsoft gun

According to Taurus "[My] Model Is 145BP Production Year 2005"

·
Registered
32,897 Posts
Not sure if the prices changed between you posting and me reading, but after FFL fees those aren't much better... which is a moot point either way given that I bought a blued model at Cabela's just today: View attachment 359954

According to Taurus "[My] Model Is 145BP Production Year 2005"
What was Cabela's selling Price?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.