Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
​I don't reload (yet). But I am by nature a hoarder. When at an indoor range do you pick up equivalent amount of brass you use if you can? It seems like dumpster diving, and I haven't seen others doing it. The range has buckets of spent brass that we sweep and place brass into, and I honestly haven't asked the staff the "rules". Range time $10.00/ half hour.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Ranges differ in their brass policies. When I scrounge for brass, I don't deliberately take any brass that I can't use. That aside, I clean out what's in my stall within a reasonable amount of time (5 or 10 minutes out of the 60 min per session allocated).

You could ask the range about their brass policy, or you could just do it discreetly. If you're taking brass for "personal consumption", I don't think they'd mind.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
I have seen varying policies on brass at indoor ranges. Seems like most want to keep the brass for themselves as an additional revenue generator. If it hits the floor it’s theirs!

I like the outdoor range I go to it is all fair game including the buckets they want you to put it in when you clean up after yourself.

Reactions: sparks9293

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I rarely shoot indoors anymore but when I do, I always pick up my brass - range rules. However, they don’t care if you keep it or deposit it. Because I reload, I'll politely ask others on the range if I can pick up their brass when done shooting. 80% of the times they will say do it.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I pick up brass that's on the floor, if the brass goes in the range bucket it belongs to the range, and both indoor and outdoor ranges. If the person next to me is shooting something I can use I ask if they keep their brass, if not I will pick it up too.
There was a change at the outdoor range when I was there last weekend. They put up signs that you can no longer solicit other shooters brass. So now as I'm sweeping up my brass I ask my neighbor if they keep their brass as I don't want to take any of their brass. If they say they don't keep it and explain to them that I'm not allowed to solicit them for their brass. :rolleyes: Of course they just give it to me at that point. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
My local indoor range's rule state that if you want to collect your brass, ask first. That seems sensible, whatever range you go to.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I sweep up around my area when done shooting and keep the brass, not all of it is mine but then again some of mine is over where someone else will pick it up too....

Reactions: olfarhors and RichO

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I never shoot indoors but at out gun club I always pick it up and toss it into one of their buckets. I don't reload and if someone, anyone, can get some benefit from it more power to them.

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Supposed to sweep up your brass at my range, but from the looks of it,I'm the only one that does. I sweep up around my area and deposit into the barrel.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I sweep up around my area when done shooting and keep the brass, not all of it is mine but then again some of mine is over where someone else will pick it up too....
Ditto this. I've never asked the range owners about the brass bucket, because I already know for a fact that they turn the brass
in to a local reloading company who in turn gives them a break on range ammo (which, in these days of scarce ammo, they have
been reserving for range use only, and basically selling at cost). As long as the neighboring lanes are empty, anything on the floor
within broom range I consider fair game. If there are others nearby, I will always ask first.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
37,348 Posts
well as stated it depends on the range rules!
I don't shoot at rnages that do not allow me to recover my own brass!
Now i would if they wanted to pay me for my spent brass!
I don't take their machinery home and don't think they should take my stuff!
MY range doesn't have buckets anymore, they ask that when finished shooting to sweep all brass down rnage.
I pick up my brass and usually get about a 90-95% recovery rate, usually end up with a few of others brass by mistake.
IF i see someone shooting 38 Super or 10 Mm i'll beg like a kid thats starving for it.
of course that never happens but it is a nice dream that i have of walking into the range and 6 guys are shooting 38 supers and 6 are shooting 10MM and all smile and say do you reload? do you want my brass?
ohh--ohh-ohh-- whats going on?? sorry I dozed off there for a minute!

Reactions: darbo and mingaa

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I pick up all the brass I can. I have eleven hundred loaded .38 and .357 and had bought 150 loaded and 300 rounds of new brass, the rest is range brass. About two thirds of my 1400 loaded .40 is range brass.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I rarely shoot indoors any more - outdoor ranges usually have a loose policy but expect a clean up - trading or cleaning up for someone is typical. I'll never go for a policy such as 'if it hits the ground it's mine' - BS! I bought it, I brought it I shot it and I'm taking it home. No sign can convert ownership of personal property until it is abandoned. If it's in the bucket it is theirs. My brass is my brass and if a fellow shooter wants to give me his brass that's none of their GD business!

At sanctioned events those who stay and help break down get to pick brass. I'm always there and YES I do collect all calibers (though the bulk ARE common calibers that I shoot. I'm planning to buy a 45 this year - so I've been saving that for a while. I keep other calibers to trade or to give to fellow shooters that I know can use it. Even 50 38 super cases can get you a BIG smile from a serious fellow shooter!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Alpine Range here in Fort Worth has a very stingy policy of brass picking. They will let you police your area but if you stray from it you will get a stern warning. And at same said range there 2 men and one woman all shooting 1911's and compact 1911's and when they were ready to leave they had a good size pile of .45 brass in there area. I asked if they were gonna leave it and they said " yeah you can have it". That particular Range Officer came over and basically said no to me. The young lady there and the other gentleman looked at him and them me and then asked me for my plastic bag, they would pick it up, looked at the RO and then me and then gave me the plastic bag of .45 brass. That was a needless thing to do on the RO's part.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Alpine Range here in Fort Worth has a very stingy policy of brass picking. They will let you police your area but if you stray from it you will get a stern warning. And at same said range there 2 men and one woman all shooting 1911's and compact 1911's and when they were ready to leave they had a good size pile of .45 brass in there area. I asked if they were gonna leave it and they said " yeah you can have it". That particular Range Officer came over and basically said no to me. The young lady there and the other gentleman looked at him and them me and then asked me for my plastic bag, they would pick it up, looked at the RO and then me and then gave me the plastic bag of .45 brass. That was a needless thing to do on the RO's part.
Spent brass is owned brass (by the shooter). The RO was an a$$. Glad you got a few extras.

·
Registered
15,643 Posts
That's why I wont shoot at Alpine. I can probably outshoot 30% of their regulars and I'll be damned if I pay money to put up with an RO on a power trip. Several months back I stopped in there to pick up some large pistol primers, check out the range and the LGS and in the 15 minutes I was there, I got snubbed 3 times, ignored 3 times and basically dressed down by the RO for walking from the LGS to my car. Why was I dressed down? because there was a handful of .223 cases I would run over, I picked them up and I was looking for their brass bucket. I will not return for any reason.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I pick up brass in my lane and immediately behind it. If I'm the only one on the range, I'll expand my pickup area.

I now have enough 44 Rem. Mag cases to make me want to buy a 44 Rem Mag revolver.

·
Registered
17,776 Posts
Picking up your own brass is one of the rules at all 3 of the gun clubs I belong to.
Me? I pick up mine and everyone else's if they let me. Then I check them out and if
they pass inspection I make more boolits with them.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The outdoor range I go to has a sign to the effect of No picking up brass.
I've only been to one indoor and they had a guy that would come by and sweep it up. I am going to start keeping mine though, just in case some day I decide to reload and can find the powder and primers.

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
The outdoor range I go to has a sign to the effect of No picking up brass.
I've only been to one indoor and they had a guy that would come by and sweep it up. I am going to start keeping mine though, just in case some day I decide to reload and can find the powder and primers.
seriously - the legal term is ( iirc) "conversion" - they are making your property theirs. It is not legal. If it is posted or on a sign in paper it is STILL not legal. An ileagle contract cannot be enforced. If you abandon your goods (ie put it in their ammo bucket and leave the premasis) THEN the brass is up for grabs. The notion of "when it hits the ground it's ours" is a violation of the law - they are, essentially stealing from you and you could call the police and with a well informed officer get support on the matter. I won't shoot anywhere where there is a hint of this attitude. Maybe some day when I'm feeling feisty...

Reactions: Peacemakr40
1 - 20 of 44 Posts