Taurus Firearm Forum banner

Appropriate to shoot a .50 Cal S&W revolver in a crowded indoor range?

• It's not against the rules, so I'd do it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's not against the rules, but very rude and I wouldn't do it

• I'll shoot whatever I want

• If it's too loud, feel free to leave

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night was a busy night at the indoor range my wife and I go to. We didn't realize it when we went, but it was ladies night. Ladies shoot for free. So, it was a zoo.

In the middle of that zoo, one man brought his high caliber arsenal. The most annoying of which was a .50 cal S&W revolver. Every time he pulled the trigger, there was a shockwave, a corona of hot plasma, and a deafening sound that penetrated head gear and ear plugs. Even people in the waiting area behind the bullet proof glass were holding their ears... and the wife and I were lucky enough to be in the lane next to him.

Do you think it's appropriate to shoot a hand cannon like that in a crowded indoor range?

On one hand, I'm sure the guy doesn't get many opportunities to fire the thing (not a lot of Grizzly bears in Missouri) and he was happy to do so, but on the other hand it was incredibly loud and distracting to others on the range (including a newbie getting a paid private lesson), and I think I have some hearing loss despite all my ear protection.

Maybe indoor ranges should have high-caliber nights, and we'll know to stay home and watch a movie.

·
Moderator Emeritus, with us always.
15,931 Posts
Yeah, that is why I bought a good pair of electronic muff's, and the foam plugs to put in before I put the muffs on. Inside just makes it worse, if large calibers being fired.

I have hearing loss already from 30 Plus years around airplanes, and do not need more. While I probably would not complain, I think my session would have ended when he started with the big guns.

I would pity those who were trying to teach, or learn. It being ladies nite geeze, you know some people just have to do it their way, no matter who they might damage or offend.

·
Administrator
40,671 Posts
I voted, It's not against the rules, but rude.
Black powder indoors is also rude. :fart:

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well im supprised the range does'nt forbid it but i'd do it if it's not.

thats very expensive to shoot i would'nt imagine he fired many of them.

the indoor range i've been going to wont let you shoot any magniums at all. :/

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
joe sixpack said:
thats very expensive to shoot i would'nt imagine he fired many of them.
He told me it was $3/round. He fired about three cylinders full. That's a lot of scratch... especially since the wife and I were having ourselves a shoot-off with her Walther P22 at about $0.02/round. We shot the PT111 several times, but were having lots of fun with the Walther.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Smokewagon said:
I voted, It's not against the rules, but rude.
Ditto.

·
Super Moderator
21,942 Posts
At our indoor range you can rent automatic weapons and you can use shotguns down at the far end. If the range is crowded and I have my home defence shotgun I will not shoot or ask the others permission and keep it to a min, My arm can't take it anyway LOL I would think a range instructor could have politely asked the man to come back for a free range session when they would be less crowded.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow...it's very weird that you posted this because I was at the shooting range last night teaching my sister how to shoot and found out later it was ladys night (free range time!). There was a guy that had some huge hand cannon and it even made me lose concentration a couple of times while shooting.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
If the range allows it, then those other people will either deal with it or leave. What do you expect when you're going shooting?...a French ballet? Noise comes with the territory. Do like Robby said which is as I do all the time. Plugs followed by muffs over the plugs. Remember, your hearing cannot be restored.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I didn't vote because the indoor ranges in my area limit to .44 mag, and I agree, and I believe it's rude and just another thing thats wrong with people now a days. The guy was an ---.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
texas shooter said:
I didn't vote because the indoor ranges in my area limit to .44 mag, and I agree, and I believe it's rude and just another thing thats wrong with people now a days. The guy was an ---.
The range master actually emailed me an apologized for the guy:
"Sorry for the guy with the over-compensation issues and his various hand-cannons. "

·
Registered
339 Posts
I would guess that if I had a cannon like that I would want to fire it once in a while too. The thing is, it really is one of those things that infringe on the rights of others. So maybe a special time could be arranged if I wanted to do it. Outdoors isn't always feasible (rain, snow, cold, or extreme heat) but consideration for others is almost always feasible.

·
Registered
73 Posts
high5apparatus said:
The range master actually emailed me an apologized for the guy:
"Sorry for the guy with the over-compensation issues and his various hand-cannons. "
LOL :D At lease he acknowledged, that was cool of him.

·
Registered
846 Posts
It was nice, but did that email repair the ear damage?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
i dont think a few shots will permanently damage your hearing.. if it's to unbearable you could always leave or double up on the ear protection..

that range will probably put a limit on caliber now.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That is why I prefer to shoot outdoors... ;) frash air, good lighting (most of the time lol) not as loud etc...

One time when I shot in the indoor range (that was packed) one guy was shooting a .500 s&w another .50DE (along with a few other people with smaller caliber guns); but I wasn't standing next to them so didn't think it wa that bad. But I have to say if I was going to shoot in the indoor range all the time I'd be prepared to deal with extra noise; just double up on the hearing protection and get good ear muffs with a at least of 25dB reduction...

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I shoot at an outdoor range and with certain weapons it is ridiculously loud. Even with ear protection. I can't imagine an indoor range with the .500 S&W. I would just leave and come back at a different time and hope Mr. Big Gun wasn't there. Also I think I would put a comment in the suggestion box at the range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all!

I happen to be one of those that are compensating. :p I shoot a S&W 460 XVR. I don't have a choice where I shoot. I live in the city so I shoot indoors. At my range I try to shoot on the side that the rifles are using. I usually only shoot a couple rounds at a time so not to shell shock anyone (including me). I also walk down the line to inform everyone what I'm about to lite off so not to scare anyone when I do. I'm curtious to others but I also like shooting it. I have only had one person complain and if they would have asked me I would have stoped till they were done. Ediquette goes both ways.

I'm just waiting for a zombie rhino to charge me while i'm leaving work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts