Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late evening 06/04/2013: At a local gas station that I (and my family) frequent.
I had just aired up by bicycle tire and was talking to a friend on my cellphone.
I looked towards the back area of the gas station and saw this guy lying on the ground by the coin operated car wash and dumpster.
He rose up a little and looked at me. Probably his sweet spot asking for change as people drive up to use the car wash.
It was obvious to me he wasn’t hurt but just laying around.
While I was on the phone he got up & walked over and propped his head on his arms on top of the air compressor box pretty close to where I was standing. I figured he was going to ask for money.
As I continued to talk he asked me for 50 cents - I waved him off - said I didn't have any cash & I kept talking to my friend.
Keeping an eye on him (didn't know anything about him at that time).
He then told me I needed to get my bike and leave or he'd beat my $#%^.
In my mind I was like – What? On no, he didn’t actually say that did he!
I wasn't sure I heard what I thought I'd heard, kinda shocked me.
I told my friend hold on a minute.
I stepped up closer so I could hear him better – still at a safe distance and asked “What’d you say?”
He gave an odd laugh and said the same thing again.
I’m 6’4” tall – 240 lbs, Combat MP vet and this guy was half my size – but – I don’t let that keep me from being cautious. I know there are small guys out there that can clean my clock – especially if they have a knife or something else on them.
It’s obvious to me he’s drunk (unless he’s acting).
I told my friend I’d have to call him back as I got off the phone.
He continued making threats. I called my local PD (I have their number saved in my cellphone) gave dispatch my name.
I told her where I was and that a guy had asked me for money and then was threatening to beat my [email protected][email protected] She said she’d send someone out.
Mean time He just stayed there calmly with his head on his propped arms and said “They’re not gonna show up – they aren’t gonna do you any good”& made some more threats.
Again – I didn’t really take him to be a viable threat but still reached in my front right pocket and had my hand on my 45 just in case (Taurus PT145). I had no idea if he had a knife, gun or whatever on him.
Even though I didn’t think he presented any real danger I was concerned for others too (mostly women) walking by going into the quick stop.
About 7 or 8 minutes later my local PD Officer walked up from around the corner (I know this officer, friend of mine) he said “Mr. (drunk’s name), what did you do now?” – Then looked at me and said “He’s the town drunk”.
I told my friend I might have just blown something like this off but my family stops here frequently – sometimes with me sometimes without and since he made threats I didn’t want to let this go.
As he was putting the cuffs on the drunk –the drunk asked if he was taking him home – Officer said “Not this time, you threatened and insulted this man, you crossed over the line, this time you’re going to jail.”
That’s how I met our “town drunk”.
I wondered if he’ll remember what happened at all when he sobers up..??
I look at my grandkids (under two years old) and think – years ago he was an innocent little kid much like they are now, how sad…
Well, this reinforces what I say – better to have it (gun) and not need it than to need it and not have it. Some friends who carry – don’t when on bikes, I still do.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Wow. Happy I am, that it didn't go any further; & that no one was hurt. Even the drunk!
You kept a cool, level head. ;)

·
Registered
25,027 Posts
It is heartbreaking to see a human being that has fallen that far.

·
Registered
21,120 Posts
Handled that perfectly. As law abiding gun carrying community ambassadors it is a heavy responsibility that we carry on our shoulders to act responsibly and not just pull a gun and wave it around when the circumstances don't justify it.
Same thing happened to me at work; guy tried to pull one over on us about an item we don't sell. We asked him to leave he started threatening violence against me and the owners son. He didn't present a weapon so mine stayed holstered and we called the cops. They knew him by name too.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I'm glad there was a happy ending to this story. I'm sure your adrenaline was through the roof!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It is too bad the encounter was not video taped. It could be used as a "How to Handle the Situation Properly" example. I strongly commend you on your calmness, preparedness and reason in the situation. I also thank you for not just riding away and letting the problem fall on the next passer-by. Well done, sir. Well done. I would like to dream that a night in jail would provide clarity to the drunk. May he find his way. (Hey I said "dream")

·
Registered
96 Posts
Man, glad everything worked out for the best!

Reactions: ArmyCop

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is too bad the encounter was not video taped. It could be used as a "How to Handle the Situation Properly" example. I strongly commend you on your calmness, preparedness and reason in the situation. I also thank you for not just riding away and letting the problem fall on the next passer-by. Well done, sir. Well done. I would like to dream that a night in jail would provide clarity to the drunk. May he find his way. (Hey I said "dream")
Thanks.
About just riding away from the situation;
I wouldn't advise anyone to turn their back to a threat. So in addition to not wanting to turn my back to him AND as I and my family frequent this station he'd be sure to be there again - maybe when I had wife, grandkid with me.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Kudos to you for handling textbook perfect.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Good job!

Whatever happened to the town drunk just being a harmless drunk? This guy probably is harmless just thinks he can get a bluff over on people.

When I was in High School our town drunk, Billy Ray, came up to me at a grocery store and asked me if I was a boy. I said, "Excuse me?" He the said, "Are you a boy or a girl?" I replied, "I'm a boy." Then he said, "Nice to meet you boy, I'm the US Navy and Marines," and walked off. I still get cracked up when I think about it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
You should also inform the owner of the gas station. It is his responsibility to keep his store safe for his customers. If someone gets hurt because he neglected to get rid of vagabonds and drunks that loiter on his property, he is liable.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Sweeeeeeet perfection!
You helped society without ever showing.

But let me ask you a question.
You have walked back toward him it you were not carrying?
I'm afraid the gun gives us courage we shouldn't have.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You should also inform the owner of the gas station. It is his responsibility to keep his store safe for his customers. If someone gets hurt because he neglected to get rid of vagabonds and drunks that loiter on his property, he is liable.
I left that part out. I went inside and told the night clerk about it then came back next day and told the manager.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweeeeeeet perfection!
You helped society without ever showing.

But let me ask you a question.
You have walked back toward him it you were not carrying?
I'm afraid the gun gives us courage we shouldn't have.
Yes, in this case with or without (gun) I think I'd have handled it pretty much the same. Even if no gun I wouldn't have turned my back on him. He made no moves with hands, only his mouth.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Glad everything ended well.

Well done on showing restraint.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'm currently awaiting my CCW license as it goes through the FBI checks. I appreciate you sharing the story as I will be new to all of this. I think I would have handled it the same way, but it's good to hear it and keep it in my mind for if I do find myself in a similar situation.

·
Registered
30,006 Posts
Well handled!

That drunk is lucky it was you and not someone who might have taken it farther!

Reactions: mingaa and ArmyCop

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Well done sir!

Sounds like they may have been soft on this guy in the past. He was over the line and so he goes in the can. One 'hinkey' move and I'm thinking he'd wish the police were there.

When someone is 'working' private property I try and inform a manager during or after - they want to know (or should) if this kind of behavior is happening at their place. Last week I ran into a guy working a self serve car wash for the 3rd time. he'd offer to 'help' - it's a self serve car wash - idiot. He knew there was cash around and liked approaching female patrons trying for easy marks. He finally got down my way (again), no help needed, no spare change - I couldn't make out what he called me (under the influence of something). I called the number of the management company on the side of the building. Haven't seen him since.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts