Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm looking for a in vehicle holster now I know the selection is limited but if i could make one without having to drill holes I will do it. I am just looking for something quick and simple so that when I'm driving it can be in a accessible place and always in the same place. If anyone has a idea or knows where to buy one at a good price let me know it will be greatly appreciated. I drive a Jeep Cherokee so the dash is plastic and where it would be going is buy my right knee between my steering wheel and my gearshift. I like this one and would not mined having something like it but i don't know if this guy sells them. Just looks like he used some "Southern ingenuity".

·
Administrator
41,476 Posts
Do keep in mind, that if it is visible to a police officer during a violator contact in Texas, you will have a problem. Concealed means concealed.

·
Administrator
35,918 Posts
I've thought about taking some of my manmade holsters and adhesing a velcro strip to the backside, then putting the other strip under a seat or in a trunk wall or something like that, in case you ever needed to pack one that way.......I wouldn't put one in plain view, but I can see a possible need for a friend in the trunk or somewhere hidden.......

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The pic is not exactly what I want I definitely want it concealed but something close to this. My Jeep has more of a "slope" on the bottom part of the dash so unless the cop is eye level with were i plane to put it he will not be able to see it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I've been thinking about a way to put one on the side of the seat, between it and the console. Seems like the best place to put one. Have wondered how to put it, but the velcro sounds like a good idea.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
paulgl26 said:
anybody tried the cup holster?
it looks like this should work in the car
http://www.nypost.com/seven/01212008/news/nationalnews/take_a_load_off_43247.htm
An Internet firm peddling a cup carrier designed to hide a loaded pistol underneath a drink abruptly yanked its product off the market amid flak from law-enforcement authorities.
Bunch of weenies. A product with a perfectly good legal use to those with a Concealed Weapons permit but it could be used by the bad guys. What's next? Are people going to have to stop selling IWB holsters?

·
Administrator
41,476 Posts
Whatever your method of concealment, you can bet a bad guy used it first, and some, we haven't even seen yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's my method. Two sheets of styrofoam wrapped with cloth that form fits my S&W Sigma 9mm. It's also form fitted to the center console. I can access the weapon in less than 2 seconds. Took a ton of practice, and I need to get faster. I want to take the car and park it on the range, roll down the window, and take a few practice shots after the draw. (scared to put a hole in the door, insurance company may not like that. :D)

With an extra mag of FMJ, Hydrashok JHP stays in the gun and one stays chambered

·
Registered
382 Posts
z3ro06 said:
Why not just lay it down in the center console?
If it's just laying there, it has the ability to slide around, bump around, and possibly go off. Also, in a high stress situation, think of it like picking a dime up off a table with no fingernails. Not so easy to do quickly, and in a carjacking situation, not near quickly enough. Being upright like this, you get quick access, and is in position to grip, raise, fire.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There are two in-car applications I recently saw. I don't think I can get the exact address without losing this page so try the DeSantis web site (I think it's desantisholster.com) for a car seat holster. Reasonably concealed and very accessible, no drilling, and can double as a owb holster. The other is for crossdraw car/seated comfort. It is made by FIST. I think a google search on either should give you the link. If not, respond here, and I'll look them up.
Check the state laws. The DeSantis is ok in PA and WV, but not in OH which requires a closed structure if not attached to your person.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
datrep, good idea!

But I wonder if it can be improved a little? How about putting a plastic shopping bag or trash bag inside the console. Filling it with expanding foam insulation that you can get at Home Depot. Wrap your gun in Saranwrap or similar product and put it into the foam. That should do a couple of things. First it will give the foam an exact fit to the console and should help to keep from pulling it out when you draw the weapon. Second, it will fit exactly for your gun.

I would try it in my truck but I don't have a deep console. It might take a few tries to get the amount of foam right. But, at least in my head, it sounds like it should work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Doctor_Venkman said:
datrep, good idea!

But I wonder if it can be improved a little? How about putting a plastic shopping bag or trash bag inside the console. Filling it with expanding foam insulation that you can get at Home Depot. Wrap your gun in Saranwrap or similar product and put it into the foam. That should do a couple of things. First it will give the foam an exact fit to the console and should help to keep from pulling it out when you draw the weapon. Second, it will fit exactly for your gun.

I would try it in my truck but I don't have a deep console. It might take a few tries to get the amount of foam right. But, at least in my head, it sounds like it should work.
Only problem might be if you carry more than one gun, or opt not to always keep your gun in your car. This method should work, but you will be limited to one, maybe two guns.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dr. Venkman, good idea. I think that may get a little messy. And if the foam is fitted so well to all the nooks and crannies, I don't know how easily it would come out when I needed it to.

The way it's set up now, and the cloth helps, the gun slides out quickly and easily. The hole is starting to widen because of the weight of the gun, but it's going on 6 months in there now, so that's to be expected.

Tubaman, that's exactly why I didn't just lay it down in there. In the beginning I would just sit it in there, and while practicing drawing I realized that it's not always in the same position each time, and that lead to fumbling around. This way, straight in, straight out.

Showed it to an officer, his reaction. "Wow, I hadn't thought of that. I need one of those!"

·
Registered
224 Posts
texasmaan said:
The pic is not exactly what I want I definitely want it concealed but something close to this. My Jeep has more of a "slope" on the bottom part of the dash so unless the cop is eye level with were i plane to put it he will not be able to see it.
Are there no map pockets in the door? That's where I keep mine in a pocket holster with a kerchief covering so that it isn't visible to the outside world.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
tubaman said:
Only problem might be if you carry more than one gun, or opt not to always keep your gun in your car. This method should work, but you will be limited to one, maybe two guns.
Good point. I only carry one gun, so I didn't even think about carrying a different gun.

datrep said:
Dr. Venkman, good idea. I think that may get a little messy. And if the foam is fitted so well to all the nooks and crannies, I don't know how easily it would come out when I needed it to.

The way it's set up now, and the cloth helps, the gun slides out quickly and easily.
Sure, it can get messy. But what's the fun if you don't get sloppy? If you were going to take it in and out of the console, I can see why you wouldn't want it to fit too tightly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
CCW Newb here, couple of questions.

1. Are you guys putting these in your cars for speed of drawing while driving, or for comfort?
2. Here in CA, I think we are required to have the handgun in a locked box if we leave it in the car (assuming I have a CCW and NEED to leave it in the car for some reason). If it is to be used while your not in the car, wouldn't you want some sort of SECURED box?

Just trying to figure out the usage you guys are looking at. When I get my CCW, I am planning on mounting one of these in my Jeep for when I HAVE to leave it in the car. http://www.gunvault.com/

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.