Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a phrase I have been hearing an awful lot lately. It's like someone issued a talking point that half the country has picked up on. I hear it in television ads, speeches and even casual talk and I'm left to wonder why. I'm pretty certain we have a virus going around that's infecting people, it's making them sick, some are dying from it and our economy is being flushed down the toilet. What part of this is uncertain? It's as if the term itself, "in these uncertain times", has been created to instill panic.

·
Registered
16,857 Posts
It's as if the term itself, "in these uncertain times", has been created to instill panic.
I believe you would be correct.
The media and politicians lead by instilling fear in people and it works.
A lot of people have no life. I mean that literally.
Their daily routine is a rigid schedule with no variation.
Then along comes a headline telling them they should be afraid.
All of a sudden their life has something to fill the empty space with........fear.
They actually enjoy it as now their life has a purpose and they have something to occupy
their usually vacant minds. Because of this they can be lead just about anywhere someone wants them to go.

This analogy is probably not quite accurate or well explained. In college my minor was psychology (didn't help me though)
and guiding people and giving their lives meaning using fear is a well known strategy.
That and the fact that I was in college when cars were powered by coal.

But I can see proof of this theorem when talking to neighbors and the groups that gather, 6 feet apart of course.
They're upset and angry but they are also excited due to the information they've been fed.
They have something to talk about, worry about and be angry at. It fills their lives.

Just my opinion of course but I haven't been wrong since...........well...............you know..............:p

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
I've set rules in my Outlook at work to instantly delete any emails with the following subjects.

We're all in this together.
In these uncertain times.
In these difficult times.
Covid-19.

·
Registered
18,480 Posts
As with every one before, these li'l catch phrases just wear themselves out. You can only yell "the sky is falling" so many times before people stop lookin' up.

Reactions: BigBlue

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I was listening to talk radio, they had an old interview with a KGB defector that really hit home about all of this.
The phrases, the changing of attitudes by them and he said this is something that was a big part of what they were doing. It was a generation long plan. He said it was so out in the open but most would deny it was happening even when they were shown the facts.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have a radio at my work station and hear that phrase and similar many times a day. "We are all in this together". How's the other one go, "we are in this alone but together".
When I hear "We're all in this together", I ask "In what?"
When I hear "We're all in the same boat", I have to laugh.
We may all be in the same storm, but we are NOT in the same boat.
Some are in a rowboat, bailing water as fast as they can.
Others are in a multi-million dollar yacht, complaining that the storm made them spill their champagne.

·
Registered
29,717 Posts
The "Uncertain" part has do do more with herd mentality which way will the winds blow the herd. The whole reason there is uncertainty is that the herd has an irrational fear based on what was originally something we knew little about, coupled with a deep seated desire by the pro coronavirus crowd for pseudo altruism. Specifically acts made for public consumption that say "look at me, I care, look at me, I am great, look at me..." Not actual altruism.

And yes, I have taken to calling many of those who are in favor of protracted shutdowns, government enforced social distancing and mask wearing, and the pseudo altruist crowd as pro coronavirus. I truly believe they like it, it fuels their need for "likes" on social media and being lauded for wearing a mask and chastising those who don't when out in public. They live for the praise and acclaim and they love the feeling of control they believe they have over the lives of others.

Are those out there who have a genuine reason to be cautions, absolutely. Are those out there who are genuinely altruistic, absolutely. But I believe they are outnumbered by the procronavirus crowd.

That's why I say I am not participating in coronavirus. Because its not really about the actual virus for most in my opinion.

Just my 2¢.

·
Premium Member
3,627 Posts
This is a phrase I have been hearing an awful lot lately. It's like someone issued a talking point that half the country has picked up on. I hear it in television ads, speeches and even casual talk and I'm left to wonder why. I'm pretty certain we have a virus going around that's infecting people, it's making them sick, some are dying from it and our economy is being flushed down the toilet. What part of this is uncertain? It's as if the term itself, "in these uncertain times", has been created to instill panic.
What part of this is uncertain?

I can't be certain.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
The "Uncertain" part has do do more with herd mentality which way will the winds blow the herd. The whole reason there is uncertainty is that the herd has an irrational fear based on what was originally something we knew little about, coupled with a deep seated desire by the pro coronavirus crowd for pseudo altruism. Specifically acts made for public consumption that say "look at me, I care, look at me, I am great, look at me..." Not actual altruism.

And yes, I have taken to calling many of those who are in favor of protracted shutdowns, government enforced social distancing and mask wearing, and the pseudo altruist crowd as pro coronavirus. I truly believe they like it, it fuels their need for "likes" on social media and being lauded for wearing a mask and chastising those who don't when out in public. They live for the praise and acclaim and they love the feeling of control they believe they have over the lives of others.

Are those out there who have a genuine reason to be cautions, absolutely. Are those out there who are genuinely altruistic, absolutely. But I believe they are outnumbered by the procronavirus crowd.

That's why I say I am not participating in coronavirus. Because its not really about the actual virus for most in my opinion.

Just my 2¢.
Yep....your two cents is worth more! Couldn't have said it better!

·
Registered
31,694 Posts
Every time I hear "In these uncertain times" I want to throw my bottle of Jack Daniels through the TV screen, and would except by the time my bottle is empty (can't waste good whiskey) I can't throw any more! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts