Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the small lyman pocket scale to weight my charges so far and occasionally get the drift .2-.3 grains up and down. Tried leaving my sell phone far away, no electronics close by and occasionally it happends. I do not own a second scale to doubke check the charges just to be sure. So I have been looking to get a beam mechanical scale and have kinda zeroed in on the RCBS M500. Does anyone use this and like it or any other recommendtaions for a decent mechanical scale are welcome.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
Unfortunately I am too impatient to use a mechanical scale but from the reviews I've watched, the RCBS seems like a solid choice.

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
None better than the RCBS. I have one and use it to double check my electronic scale and also the powder drop on my progressive reloading press

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
904 Posts
RCBS 10-10 none better, never a dead battery. tip, you don't need to wait for the swing to stop. you just watch that the swing is even above and below the zero mark. a stopped swing is not necessarily the zero point because of friction. Learned that working with real balances years ago in lab work. Tip: when I find a the weight I want to use for a particular load, i make a little piece of copper wire that weight and use if to quickly check and zero the scale for that weight. twist ait in a loop and hang it on a labeled nail in your loading cabinet rcbs scale.jpg

·
Administrator
40,270 Posts
Mine is a simple beam scale from Dillon Precision. Been working perfectly for the last fourteen years.

Reactions: terryb

·
8,900 Posts
Sorry about that Lyman dig scale issues. My Frankford Arsenal dig scale works perfectly. I have a Fluorescent light 6 feet away, and run drill motors and a Hornady trio prep machine less than a foot away. My scale measures consistently and rarely drifts. Most beam scales are good enough. The RCBS is one of the best. I use my cheapo Lee beam scale that came with my press kit to compare to the dig scale when developing a new load. Then the FA scale after about every 5th round.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I just dumped my LEE Challenger "Safety" scale as it was adding .2-.3 grain to my loads. I replaced it with the RCBS M500 scale. I used it to correct the loads that I had made with the LEE scale. So far so good, although I do not own a digi-scale to verify actual weights. The M500 was $84 at my local Wallyworld.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I like the simplicity of the RCBS 505 but a 10-10 would definitely do the trick.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Too bad the 505 was discontinued... When I went shopping, I was really hoping to find one. As I read it, the 505 was made by Ohaus Scale.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I use a Hornady beam scale

·
Administrator
40,270 Posts
So many of these beam scales look alike except for color and some minor features. I wonder if they are all made by the same manufacturer? Dillon beam scales are made by Ohaus.
I think the scale in my Drs. office is too!

Reactions: oso

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Yes many of the beam scales were made by Ohaus and rebranded. Ebay is the place to go and watch. RCBS 502, 505, 510 1010 all great scales then Lyman also used the Ohaus with the D5 being the same as the 505 and they also had a model that looked like the 1010 but used the beam from the D5. Hornady also made a couple magnetic dampening scales that are just as accurate.

If looking on ebay make sure it is complete as the pan and the pan hanger are quite pricey.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I have used a 5-0-5 RCBS for last 35 years, simple and accurate. I agree as others have stated other beam scales are probably made by same co. and just as accurate.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
Gerome -the guy that works the corner of Ashby Street and Simpson Road put me onto the RCBS 5-0-5 years ago and it has remained a stable for me.
and Gerome don't give nobody nuttin fo free.
ever seen how fine that coke powder is???

Attachments

·
Registered
15,149 Posts
I use my Lee Safety scale and check it against a newly acquired RCBS 505. Both measure exactly. Since I have older scales for measuring Gemstones, I also have the calibration weights and both reloading scales pass with flying colors.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I use my Lee Safety scale and check it against a newly acquired RCBS 505. Both measure exactly. Since I have older scales for measuring Gemstones, I also have the calibration weights and both reloading scales pass with flying colors.
The lee safety scale price is very appealing I have seen people either love it or hate it.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
The lee safety scale price is very appealing I have seen people either love it or hate it.
Well for me the Lee works flawlessly, always has. seems to remain true to weight, course it is a balance beam scale--basically the same method of weighing since time began and merchants were using their wives as counter weights.
its not the easiest scale to read but mine works just dandy.
I mean as long as its adjusted and the law of gravity remains then it should work fine.
if I was looking for a good reliable scale at a reasonable price I would buy one as my first scale.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
If you're interested in the Lee scale PM your address. I've got one brand new in the box.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

AND!!
there is your answer to your question and you can't argue with the price either!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts