Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I feel that I need to explain my background. I have been a gun owner for about 20+ years, and have never done anything like this before. I guess complete irresponsibility gets all of us at some point!

I have two Taurus PT 24/7 Pro G1's; one is a DS, and the other is the basic 24/7 Pro. A couple of weeks ago I was performing my maintenance / cleaning on all my firearms, and when reassembling my two Taurus', I accidentally attached the 24/7 Pro DS' slide onto the 24/7 Pro's grip. Needless to say, the two have been inseparable since, and completely non-functioning. This is quickly becoming urgent for me, as the DS is my wife's concealed carry, and the regular Pro is my "go to" master bedroom, home defense pistol.

If anyone has any advice, please let me know. I have been searching for days online, and cannot find any useful info. I have also brought my pistols to a local gunsmith to get sorted out, and he quickly recommended me to get in contact with Taurus directly.

Thanks in advance,
v3rg3

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Man, I wish I could help you. I can feel your pain from here. Someone will come along shortly, but the gunsmith's advice might be the best to follow in this instance.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Some info please. I presume you cannot pull the trigger to release slide; slide does not completely return to battery, but you can move the slide and lock open; whatever it's hitting is solid (I think I may have duplicated your problem while checking my 24/7's to see if I could determine what your problem was) If this is the case you can remove the plastic cover over firing pin assembly while slide is locked open and remove the parts and firing pin assembly.

In the beginning I actually drove the two pins out and removed the metal innards along with the stuck slide; drove pin out and removed trigger along with trigger bar - neither of which made any difference. Tried to see if any obvious obstructions and found nothing, even looking up mag well to see if anything could be push/released. Nothing. Once the firing pin was removed - the wrong slide popped right off the wrong grip. Now I have two 24/7's that need to go to the range to see if they still operate properly.

Good luck - hope this helps. BTW - I'm no gunsmith and this is first time I've removed a firing pin assembly and I believe it went swimmingly well. I did bugger up the plastic rear cover a bit, but believe it'll be okay. Both pistol cycle snapcaps; fire (or seem to - won't know until range, but expect so) and every thing seems back to normal.

Hope this helps.

OH, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
BTW - I made the same mistake you did while looking a my 24/7's and put two pieces together that didn't like each other at all - and I knew it the moment I did it - but hopefully my mistake will help you resolve yours.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I don't imagine this will help but I'll toss it out there anyway.

I had a new model and old model 709 with slides and frames crossed up. They didn't like each other at all. Old slide and new frame I started gently working the slide while holding it upside down and it finally just popped lose! The upside down thing was strictly accidental! It's not like I thought hey let me hold it upside down, that should fix it!

New slide and old frame was a different story. I punched the front trigger pin out of the old frame and apparently it gave things enough wiggle room to come apart. I was hugely relieved!

If you end up having to go through Taurus it will cost you $35 each for a bench fee and $50 shipping total. Plus any replacement parts if needed. If I'm not mistaken paying the bench fee/work "renews" the lifetime warranty.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
hi-and-hello-3978.gif From Northeast Florida!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Wow 5 years to make your first post. Welcome from East Texas to the best gun forum on the internet. Sorry I'm not sure what to tell you about your problem though.

Good luck.

Reactions: CB236

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Sometimes the firing pin block can hang them up, turning the gun upside down can allow the block to drop into the slide and allow you to get them apart.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
762 Posts
Joined in 2010 and this is post #1?:huh::r_c: I was wondering about this myself...:icon_ rasta:
Some people are just lurkers...

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Some info please. I presume you cannot pull the trigger to release slide; slide does not completely return to battery, but you can move the slide and lock open; whatever it's hitting is solid (I think I may have duplicated your problem while checking my 24/7's to see if I could determine what your problem was) If this is the case you can remove the plastic cover over firing pin assembly while slide is locked open and remove the parts and firing pin assembly.

In the beginning I actually drove the two pins out and removed the metal innards along with the stuck slide; drove pin out and removed trigger along with trigger bar - neither of which made any difference. Tried to see if any obvious obstructions and found nothing, even looking up mag well to see if anything could be push/released. Nothing. Once the firing pin was removed - the wrong slide popped right off the wrong grip. Now I have two 24/7's that need to go to the range to see if they still operate properly.

Good luck - hope this helps. BTW - I'm no gunsmith and this is first time I've removed a firing pin assembly and I believe it went swimmingly well. I did bugger up the plastic rear cover a bit, but believe it'll be okay. Both pistol cycle snapcaps; fire (or seem to - won't know until range, but expect so) and every thing seems back to normal.

Hope this helps.

I hope the OP gets the two guns apart and together again and back in working order. Please let us know!

And how about that Wino! Taking the time to help is one thing, but having the two guns and intentionally creating the situation with your firearms just to help someone out is just far and above the call of duty here! You very well could have not figured it out and been in the same boat as the OP, but you choose to do so, just for the fact that you might be able to help. My hat is off to you, Sir, and everyone else on this site should also raise their hats too. Thank you for making a difference here on TA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU ! ! ! Wino really hooked it up with this solution! I want to apologize TaurusArmed community for not responding back sooner, but I literally just took Wino's advice and got both of my 24/7's properly working. For anyone who runs into this problem, or just simply needs to remove the firing pin assembly on your 24/7 (G1), I used the following video as a reference. Although the video is covering the 24/7 Pro C, the firing pin assembly was identical to my Pro (non-DS). FYI, the video quality is a bit low, but I was able to get the gist of what the guy was doing. Nonetheless, here's the link:

The process was quite easy, and I am as close to being a non-gunsmith as you can get. Like Wino, I also had a hard time removing that back plastic locking piece. I almost broke the clip piece.

Thanks to everyone for the help, especially Wino!

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Glad you got it fixed!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I know this topic is pretty much at its end but I have to commend what Wino did. As stated above.

Going that extra mile to help someone is awesome.

Would make a good sticky as I'm sure this could happen again to someone else.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks. I posted an intro last week. I've found a lot of info so I'll be hanging around. A lot of people with a lot of knowledge

1 - 20 of 21 Posts