Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I renewed my GWLC the other day. 5 years ago it was $75 and was expecting it to be higher this time. But, $35 later and I’m good to go. While Ga may well go Constitutional Carry, I do plan on keeping my GWLC for reciprocity reasons - or at least till Con Carry is “sea to shining sea”.

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
And . . . . it arrived in the mail today. It was approved on 02-06 (just 4 days after I re-upped) and came in mail today. I’ll take a 4 day approval and a 9 day mail delivery anytime considering that some counties in Ga take up to 4 weeks to get it in the mail. So, I’m now good in 33 states. Notably absent are New Mexico, Cali, Ore, Wash, Vermont, NY, Minnesota, Nebraska, Mass, Delaware, Rhode Island, Illinois and a few others.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I renewed my Missouri CCW last summer even tho it is a Constitutional Carry state. We travel and at that CCW permit holders have a bit more leeway in Missouri than those without.

Reactions: daytonaredeye

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I renewed my Missouri CCW last summer even tho it is a Constitutional Carry state. We travel and at that CCW permit holders have a bit more leeway in Missouri than those without.
Are you saying that “permit holders have more leeway” because of the ability to carry out of state due to reciprocity?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Are you saying that “permit holders have more leeway” because of the ability to carry out of state due to reciprocity?
That and in gun free zones ( court houses etc.) non CCW holders can be arrested, CCW holders can just be asked to leave.

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That and in gun free zones ( court houses etc.) non CCW holders can be arrested, CCW holders can just be asked to leave.
Ah, that’s a wrinkle I hadn’t heard of before.

Reactions: DDDWho

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Ah, that’s a wrinkle I hadn’t heard of before.
I've done a little research after reading your post. I may be partially mistaken. My 78 year old memory might be playing tricks. I recall the instructor at a gun course I took said what I previously posted but I can find nothing on line to substantiate that. But I wont let my CCW expire because we travel..... we be in Arizona right now.

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew it sounded weird. I know some states allow OC without a permit but permit req’d to Conceal Carry. Others, like Ga, allow you to carry either way but need a permit. I thought that “true” Constitutional Carry would allow you to carry open or concealed without a permit. Of course, that only works when you’re in the state.

From what I’ve heard, most folks who comment on it say that even though they live in a Constitutional Carry state that they will continue to maintain a state permit for reciprocity reasons.

Reactions: DDDWho

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
If the US Congress passed reciprocity nation wide I would still maintain my permit. The extensive background check identifies a permit holder as "a good guy with a gun"

·
Super Moderator
20,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the US Congress passed reciprocity nation wide I would still maintain my permit. The extensive background check identifies a permit holder as "a good guy with a gun"
Nice sentiment but, unfortunately, not fully true. The 2A and 4A should be all you need to move about armed nationwide. We the people should have no duty to prove our “innocence” to exercise any right; indeed, the burden of proof for someone to be disallowed from exercising ANY right should be with the state!

Reactions: slong115

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
Not to mention that if it is NICS-Compliant Permit, you don't need to do a background check when purchasing a gun in a number of States (including Texas).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts