Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all continually hear about those areas near us that we should avoid for fear of violence in one form or another. Are you ever tempted to ask a friend to back you up in a conseal/carry situation and take a little legal walk-through in a 'hot spot' to test your mettle and the hubris of those who would do you harm?

I HAVE NOT.

I was with some guys at the range the other day, however, and this question came up. Some said it could even be necessary at times to show that some folks aren't as vulnerable as they seem and the streets belong to all of us. One guy even said he is more likely to shop at a convenience store that has a history of repetitive armed robberies.

I said that I'm comfortable with SD for me and my family or even a SHTF scenario. They said: "We should feel comfortable in ALL parts of our city".

What do you think?

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
Not by choice.
In every major city, certain areas were long ago ceded to those on the lower rungs of the societal ladder.
It ain't right, it ain't fair and it ain't smart - but it's the way things are.

That said: In providing rides for some of the senior citizens in my apartment building, I must sometimes go into those areas and sit waiting in my car while they visit doctor, lawyer, friend or whatever. On those days, I leave my PT709 and Ruger SP101 at home. In their place, I carry one of my hi-cap pistols and hope I'll never have to use it.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
Oh Hell No! I live within an hours drive of three of the top ten most violent city's in the USA, Saginaw, Flint & Detroit and I don't go into the worst areas EVER and the marginal areas only in the daytime....

1.1 USA.gif

·
Registered
27,166 Posts
They said: "We should feel comfortable in ALL parts of our city".
They're right, we should feel safe everywhere. But, in case you haven't noticed, this is not a perfect world. Fact is there are places that only an idiot would feel safe.
I do not feel the necessity to "prove" my manhood. I can defend myself - and the operative word is "defend". Purposely going somewhere I have no need to be, or desire to be (other than marking my territory) for the sole purpose of challenging the BGs is inherently not defensive.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
No. I carry for self defense and defense of family, not for an offensive attack or to intimidate the undesirables.
It is the job of law enforcement to clean up the problem areas and taking the law into your own hands only makes you a criminal.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Why tempt trouble. In my younger years my cocky ness (based on size 6 ft 250 lbs) far exceeded my intelligence. I have due to work or failure to plan found myself in neighborhoods that I should never have been. NYC, Chicago,Detroit, DFW, Miami and of course Houston. Many times without my carry. I learned early on walk and act like you belong and most of the time you will get by, but it's not worth the chance the dogs will form a "pack". Under the circumstance a hi cap would not even come close to being enough firepower. My chl/ccw is for the protection of my family and home. I don't carry a badge (anymore) so I will keep a low profile. Now that said I know that if it came to a point of protecting a life I would do what I had to. In my travels I always look at my choices, stopping distance to cars in front of me at lights and even where I sit in the restaurant. Some times it takes a bigger (man) to walk away than to jump into a situation you have no chance of walking away from later . Again this is my opinion and way I approach life.

·
Registered
29,861 Posts
That's like sticking your hand over every fence you see that posts a "Beware of Bad Dog" sign to see if the dog will really bite.

The first rule of deadly force confrontations is to avoid them at all costs.

Then if that fails, defend one's self and family.

Asking for trouble is just plain stupid, and will not ellicit sympathy from neither judge nor jury.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
A huge part of the responsibility we hold when we carry is the avoidance of threats. No matter how righteous a shoot, it's going to cost you thousands in attorney fees(unless you just want to depend on the legal system to keep you out of prison, no thank you). Additionally, for most folks there would be major psychological ramifications...no way I'm going to put my entire future at risk to prove a point.

·
Super Moderator
26,909 Posts
People that suggested that shouldn't even have guns. They are the problem!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
People that suggested that shouldn't even have guns. They are the problem!
Could not agree more. They are the types who hinder our progress and are the ones most likely to give us negative press. Nonetheless, they must be numerous.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
I'm sure not going to go to, or through, their turf/neighborhoods - that's simply crazy, and looking for trouble. Sooner or later they'll be on my turf, and I'll do what is necessary to reduce the population.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Could not agree more. They are the types who hinder our progress and are the ones most likely to give us negative press. Nonetheless, they must be numerous.
Most likely they were talking smack and trying to show they had a bigger pair than they really do.

If they ever did this and some gang banger confronted them they'd probably [email protected] their pants and run off screaming or worse get killed in the process.

Just my $.02.

·
Super Moderator
26,909 Posts
It just ticks me off. Everybody that has lived in their own area for a while knows the "bad" areas. So why go there? If it is not to cause trouble it must be to get WC's!!!1
Sorry couldnt resist...the last WC's I bought, a thousand years ago were in a very bad area!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Rod,

I thought WC's for Brits were bathrooms. What are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
... little legal walk-through in a 'hot spot' to test your mettle and the hubris of those who would do you harm?
I figure just making it to 56 has tested my "mettle" enough. Trouble has come to me often enough, I don't need to go looking for it.

·
Super Moderator
26,909 Posts
Reactions: btleslie
1 - 20 of 40 Posts