Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Afternoon ...
Picked up my new PT1911 at a gun show down in Mesquite last month for $535 out the door. Got to shoot it this weekend. Been reading the mail for about two months and picked up alot of tips ... Learned how to field strip the gun, gave it a light lube and went to walmart and got a box of WWB. Machine work looks fine ... but the finish won't stay long - but I don't care ... Bought it to shoot!
This whole thing started when I was going through my dad's old Army stuff last year. Found his web belt and service holster. I remembered that the last time I fired his 45 was when I was 11 years old ... I was small - it was big, heavy, and loud ... Some things have changed.
Iv'e been shooting my 586 L frame combat commander and K 22 masterpiece for years, so this 1911 would be something really new!.
Well, I found out at the range that 100 rounds dosn't last long in a semi auto, its still big and loud and I love it ... no mechanical problems at all!
Have not found a comfortable two handed grip yet ... I thought that after years with that 357, recoil would not be a problem... Well, not true - that Taurus will jump right out of your hand if you don't hold on tight. I love these sights ... After years of trying to line up black posts to black frames, I can finally see something! The trigger pull is as advertised - but I need more practice to know when its going to break. Its going to be a very accurate gun when I get the ergonomics straightened out - I was able to consistently get 8 shots into a 6"bull at 25 yds with a two handed grip.
I was surprised at how dirty she was after only 100 rounds ... Extractor,feed ramp, barrel nose ... Stripped, cleaned, light oil w/dexron III.
Well ... Nuff said ... Next time 300 rounds and make a day of it.
JD ... Carrollton, TX

·
Registered
173 Posts
Welcome to the club Jim. Yes indeed you have caught the infectious bug which is the PT1911 and yes 100rnds is not enough. I found that 300 was good for starters ;D

Enjoy your new toy.

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I'm glad to hear you had as much fun with your PT1911 as you did. :) As Schlemer noted, 100 rounds doesn't last very long at all unfortunately. If you're looking for less costly .45 ACP (aside from reloading), Blazer Brass at Walmart typically costs less than their WWB when you buy 2 of the 50 round boxes as opposed to the Winchester 100 round value pack.

And if you decide to ever purchase in bulk. www.natchezss.com is a fantastic site I highly recommend. I've purchased thouands of rounds recently in 9mm and .45 ACP for less than I'd pay in a store, even with shipping tacked on. Granted you do have to buy in quantity but it's worth it to me. IIRC, $6.89 for 9mm and $10.89 for .45 ACP, both Blazer Aluminum. Great stuff indeed. :D

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
I started reloading again when I bought my Pt145 and a SA GI model... got rid of the SA, but like the 1911 style and after reading for months about the good stories, I decided I'd risk it. I have been shooting everything in my box through this gun from flat headed LSWC 230 gr to 230 Ball (Blazer) to 230 gr JHP to 185 gr JHP to Rainer plated 185 gr HP to 185 gr LSWC. It has digested everything I've shoveled in and not even heart burn.

I've just set an adjustable rear sight on the gun out of curiosity to see if I can taylor my POA for each regular load... but with the Heinie sights, after about 3 mags I just had one big ragged hole where it grouped everything into a 3" circle.

Enjoy your gun, it gives every appearance of being "of the finest kind" and don't let the finish on the slide get you down... I've already planned a hard chrome job for about $100... that should set this thing off like a diamond.

I've got a set of GunGripGuys fancy coco bolo... found them on ebay. They are smooth finish, but the most georgeous curl. I like the feel with the front strap checkering and the rear MSH checkering. Don't have any problem with the gun going anywhere... but I've been shoot .40 S&W in my Hi-Power and it makes a really big boom too!

·
32,585 Posts
Where are our manners guys. Here we have a first timer here and no greeting? Oh the shame. Oh, the agony. ::) :eek: ;D :D :)

Welcome ot the forums Jim Dandy. :) Go "rescue" about 200-300 more rounds and put them through that 1911 and let us know how it goes. And.... you don't waste no time. So the song says anyway. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You All for the warm welcome ... I think my wheelguns might be collecting some dust ...
JD

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I doubt your wheel guns will collect much dust, they are addictive. You will just end up shooting them a bit less. It's awfully distracting when I carry both the GP100 and PT1911 to the range. Both seem to make bullets disappear and empty brass appear. The PT1911 is fun. I switched the grips on mine to Hogue wraparounds and it "feels" better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes Greener,
It looks like I'm going to change the grips on the 1911 ... Changed out the presentation grips on the 586 some time back and it became a very shootable gun ... Not too radical though-still want the 1911 to look like my dad's service automatic.
It will be interesting to see any reactions when I bring in the 586 and the 1911 together to my local range for some exercise.
JD in Dallas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Speaking of inexpensive ammo...I've searched all over the net but still can't beat the prices at Wal-Mart. I shoot .45 ACP FMJ 230 gr for target and find that Blazer Brass at $11.97 per box of 50, beats about anything on the net plus there's no shipping charges! Granted this may not compare if you're buying in large bulk lots but I tend to think most of us are buying only 100 - 200 rounds at a time. I also use 2-3/4" 1 oz. rifled slugs in my Mossberg 500 12 ga. for target and get them in a 15 pack for a little over $7.00.

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Lately I've been ordering my primary calibers in bulk lots, think 500rds or more. The price drops and this way I have it for when (not if) the prices increase more.

Steelheart

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Teezum,Steelheart,
Yes, I bought WWB @ Wal Mart for $28.98/100 ... Never did the math on the CCI Blazer ... I could have saved $10.00 on 200 rounds!! Too late smart! The only ammo I don't buy from WM is the 30-06 ammo for my M1903 & M1917 ... They are finicky about bullet weight.
JD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts