Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used this ammo in a pt92/99? Im planning on getting a case to run threw my 92 if it will fire it. The problem that others have reported had to do with a rounded, harder than normal primer that Glocks and other striker fire pistols have trouble setting off. The pressure does not seem to be the problem.

·
32,651 Posts
If this is surplus just remember this stuff is loaded to higher pressure than even some of our +P ammo if this is their military or for military firearms. This could overstress parts of the firearm or cause catastrophic failure of the slide or other parts. The reason for the tougher primers is due in part to the type of primer used and the fact the SMG's that that ammo was normally shot in, have firing pins that hit harder than pistol firing pins do. There is supposed to be commercial IMI ammo, but checking this out would be in order. Hirtenburger ammo is the same way.

·
Administrator
18,087 Posts
Your PT92 will most certainly fire it. Mil-Surp IMI ammunition, has the very deserved reputation of being really hot. Commercial IMI ammunition is most certainly warmer than the stuff that passes for generic commercial ball in the USA, but not excessively so. I would pass on the Mil-Surp if +P+, but not the Commercial which will be standard pressure.

By the way, for added protection, I recommend and use, a Wolff 15 pound extra power Recoil Spring in my PT92. The 15 pound Recoil Spring provides more protection of the Locking block and Frame than does the original factory 13 pound Recoil Spring, and still functions with mild generic ball ammo.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 15 pound recoil spring and I have been hesitant to use it because a guy at a local shop told me that it might do more damage due to fact that the slide slams closed harder. Is this true? I would like to protect the locking block but I don't want to create another problem.

·
Administrator
18,087 Posts
Mr. Peepers said:
I have a 15 pound recoil spring and I have been hesitant to use it because a guy at a local shop told me that it might do more damage due to fact that the slide slams closed harder.
True, the slide will close slightly faster and slightly harder, but I've found the difference to be very negligible. The improved cushioning effect the heavier spring provides during the recoil cycle provides more protection to the Locking Block during it's downward end of travel. The Locking Block "ears" take slight impact at both ends of travel, and there is no way around this. The real benefit of the heavier Spring will be to the Frame and Slide of the handgun. It certainly will not hurt to try it! See what you think with the ammo you intend to use. I have about 4,000 trouble free rounds on mine with the heavier spring. (24,000 total)

·
Super Moderator
35,281 Posts
Mr. Peepers said:
I have a 15 pound recoil spring and I have been hesitant to use it because a guy at a local shop told me that it might do more damage due to fact that the slide slams closed harder. Is this true? I would like to protect the locking block but I don't want to create another problem.
You shouldn't drop the slide on an empty chamber anyway, regardless of spring. With a round in the mag, no problem. The action of loading buffer the slide. I would use the stronger spring if the loads are higher pressure. Far more problem is if the slide is opening too soon and ballooning the case head. You should check the fired cases for case head swelling on those IMI rounds. If you see any noticable case head swelling, I'd not shoot 'em, personally. They're probably okay, but some 9mm from over the pond intended for long guns, Uzis and such, are white hot.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a chance last weekend to shoot some of this ammo. I used an extra power recoil spring and had zero issues with pressure/recoil. It felt no hotter than standard nato 124 grain. Other reports on boards say this is not any hotter just harder primers and that matches up with what I found. Out of over 200 rounds fired I only had two that had to take a second hit to go off and only one that would not go off at all.

I cleaned as if corrosive and have been checking the pistol every day since and no sign of any corrosion (this is corrosive so clean accordingly)

I also found it to be pretty accurate but I sorted it by headstamp and date so that helped Im sure. Overall Im very happy with the purchase and ordered more. For 185 shipped for 2000 reloadable rounds I can deal with a touch of extra cleaning required.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts