Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been browsing AR15 pistol kits from a major supplier. Working in a gun shop that does transfers, I've seen dozens of examples of their store branded work and it's very good quality. I subscribed to the email fliers (mistake) and the day before yesterday there was a really good deal. I told myself if it got any better I would order one. Predictably, it got better. I ordered a FDE 10.5 inch 223 AR pistol kit that includes everything except the receiver. Now I need some recommendations.

I can get a Spike's receiver for around 75 bucks. I'm leaning that way, but could be convinced otherwise.

I'm leaning towards a Vortex Strikefire II for a sight. Once again, I will consider input.

Now the biggie-how do I put this thing together? Can anyone recommend a good manual? Will I need tools?

Thanks for the help, guys.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I've been browsing AR15 pistol kits from a major supplier. Working in a gun shop that does transfers, I've seen dozens of examples of their store branded work and it's very good quality. I subscribed to the email fliers (mistake) and the day before yesterday there was a really good deal. I told myself if it got any better I would order one. Predictably, it got better. I ordered a FDE 10.5 inch 223 AR pistol kit that includes everything except the receiver. Now I need some recommendations.

I can get a Spike's receiver for around 75 bucks. I'm leaning that way, but could be convinced otherwise.

I'm leaning towards a Vortex Strikefire II for a sight. Once again, I will consider input.

Now the biggie-how do I put this thing together? Can anyone recommend a good manual? Will I need tools?

Thanks for the help, guys.
For the receiver, are there any special features on that Spikes that you really appreciate or is it just the name? If they didn't do anything special, just grab an Anderson lower (all billet milspec lowers are pretty much made at about 4 factories across the country and just stamped with a company logo on the way out, from what I understand) Primary Arms has their Andersons on sale right now for $39.99!! (https://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-ar-15-stripped-lower-receiver)

As for assembly, if you can assemble a model or some of the age 14+ lego's, you'll have no trouble :) - check this video out - but hurry! Youtube is removing these assembly videos pretty quickly now!

·
Registered
340 Posts
The AR-15 Complete Assembly Guide (AR-15 Guide Vol 2) by Walt Kuleck Published by Scott A. Duff (2002) Paperback https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HMVM2QA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_1weZCb5VVKR5R

I used the above, with YouTube, as a companion. There’s a ton of tutorials.

I recommend a punch set for ARs, a universal tool for AR (for castlenuts, etc) (I acquired a tapco), and I have a bench vise. I also have a gunsmith tool kit (hammer, screw driver, bits, tap, etc).

Toughest things for me to put in were the forward assist and the magazine release. Everything else was easy.

As for the optic, there are smaller profile tube sights similar to an Aimpoint t1. They’re lighter and the field of view is smaller but it’s an AR Pistol....

For a brace, the SBA Tactical SBA3 Pistol Brace is awesome since it can adjust on the fly. I added a Law Tactical Folding adapter to make the AR Pistol more portable in a bag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
38,036 Posts
Congrats on hitting<Enter> (our work is done here...oh, except that you'll need a 300 AAC also) :D

Looking forward to the progress...you'll want to shop KAK cans also, if not right away you will want one soon after shooting it without.

Reactions: Yissnakk

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
The only tips I have (haven't scuffed a receiver in ages!) is that for your first time, use tape to protect - especially when putting in the bolt release.
- on that bolt release, it uses a roll pin. Take a vice grip and carefully pinch the end you are going to insert first - makes the initial insertion much easier. A brass and plastic hammer is nice to have but really, if you're careful, any tapping hammer will do just fine.
- When installing the spring and detente, use an alan key that just fits through the holes in the receiver and use a spark plug gap gauge to hold the detente in place as you slide the hex wrench into place to keep the spring and detente in there. then just put the take-down/pivot pin at the end of the hex wrench that sticks through and guide it into the hole (when you check that video, or THIS GUIDE) you'll understand what I'm talking about).

You really don't need roll punches and such if you have an Allen wrench (long set) set but they are useful.

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
37,073 Posts
GEEEEZZ!
whats wrong with all you guys wanting to buy these Savage Black Rifles--ahh Savage Killer Black Pistols that is!!!!???
OH MY GOD!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would suggest the Aero Precision Gen2 Lower Receiver. It has a number of features, but the best is a tensioning screw under the grip that will take out any looseness between the upper and lower. I saw them on sale somewhere in the last week for $50 but I do not remember where. AP sells a lot of there lowers rebranded. Spikes is one of those, if I remember correctly.

I just did a quick search, I guess the sale is over:

$68 blem from Aero Precision https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar15-stripped-lower-gen2-anodized-black-blem
$72 new from Brownnels https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...-stripped-lower-receiver-black-prod80991.aspx
$72 new from Primary Arms https://www.primaryarms.com/aero-precision-stripped-lower-receiver-ar15-gen-2
$72 new from AIM https://aimsurplus.com/aero-precision-ar-gen-2-lower-receiver

Reactions: CDR_Glock

·
Registered
12,813 Posts

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
As far as optics, smaller is better. For the price of that Strikefire you can get a better, smaller red dot.

Bushnell TRS-25: cheap, but works well, $50-$75, get the one with the high mount
Sig Romeo 5: Good with good battery life, but $100-$150
HoloSun usually has some good battery life models in the $100-$150 range.
Vortex SPARC is a good RD with digital controls and good battery life.

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
As far as optics, smaller is better. For the price of that Strikefire you can get a better, smaller red dot.

Bushnell TRS-25: cheap, but works well, $50-$75, get the one with the high mount
I fully agree with smaller being better for a pistol. I put a Vector "Thanator" 1-8x on one (probably a bit on the larger side but not overly so) and a UTG red dot and flip-away 3x magnifier on a quick detach mount on the other.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts

I think the primary arms red dot should be included on this list. It's a very good option between the Bushnell and the Sig.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Thanks to AR/AK pistols, the SBR is becoming a thing of the past. I'm working on building another one myself. The first one I had turned out to be a total POS thanks to the previous owner not knowing what he was doing when he assembled the upper.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
It is kind of hard to screw up an AR. Was the gas port not aligned with the gas block?

Reactions: oso and Yissnakk

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Thanks to AR/AK pistols, the SBR is becoming a thing of the past. I'm working on building another one myself. The first one I had turned out to be a total POS thanks to the previous owner not knowing what he was doing when he assembled the upper.
Now you've gotten us all geared up! What was wrong? Was it fixable? Details, man! We need details!

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Original owner tried to install a DOLOS takedown system, and cross-threaded the barrel nut. Instead of finding out why the nut was hard to turn, Bubba threw the torque to it. Not only would it not lock in properly(it would come loose while firing), the upper was FUBAR. I parted it out, kept the complete lower, and built a 20" A2 clone on it for the youngest with what I made off just the DOLOS and LAW folding adapter.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had a similar bubba build where the idiot didn’t use shims for fitting barrel. They just cut piece of the handguard to fit.

They didn’t use the right buffer or buffer spring either.

Needless to say, I ended up rebuilding it.

Be cautious about any rifle or pistol not made in a factory.

I bought a new handguard, buffed, buffer spring.

Later I bought a flash hider to adapt for my Suppressor, and I added an SBA Tactical SBA3 Pistol Brace to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
I had a similar bubba build where the idiot didn’t use shims for fitting barrel. They just cut piece of the handguard to fit.

They didn’t use the right buffer or buffer spring either.

Needless to say, I ended up rebuilding it.

Be cautious about any rifle or pistol not made in a factory.
Or assembled by me personally. If I screw something up, I'll probably know it...

1 - 20 of 47 Posts